CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #201
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: Biggest Pet Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
He would only use the rack for 30 seconds then he went and did the rest of the WOD leaving his 55 lbs occupying the entire squat rack while he ran 800 meters, did sit-ups etc... For twenty minutes. If he were just weak and doing 55 lb squats no problem, but I'm waiting to do squats and staring down 55 lbs in the squat rack with no one doing them. I would rather have a guy curling in there to be honest.
In this particular case, I'd feel justified putting the bar with the 5# plates on the ground for him. If he was able to put the bar on his back without the rack, then he was a little rude and can stand the extra 5 seconds it takes to get it on his back (really? 30 seconds of squats mixed with 3-4 minute 800m run plus sit-ups and push-ups?)

If he absolutely needed the rack (say it was 135# or more) then I'd deem the rack a necessity to complete the WOD and removing it would be rude. This is a problem that happens when more than two people crossfit at a globo type set-up at the same time. One or two guys usually can guage the need for equipment from the ordinary crowd, but with CrossFitters you never know what's on their plate and you're bound to interfere with each other.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #202
Scott VanDenHaute

Profile:

Anyone paying by check in front of me in the grocery store line.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #203
Adam Carlson

Profile:

My newest biggest pet peave is sensationalist media.

I live in Japan, in Tokyo. For those of you who are wondering, there is no radioactive cloud over Tokyo. We are not mutating. Life is going on, albeit it with the minor disruptions of planned power outages, trains not running in order to conserve energy, and people buying more food than they need 'in case of emergency'. The foreign media's depiction of the situation here in Japan makes it seem like it's armageddon. Yes, there are people who have lost everything, lots who have died, and there are bad situations going on in the places affected the most by earthquake and tsunami. The radiation situation is not as bad as the news is making it sound.

20 times more radiation than normal in Tokyo... yes, that's true, but 20 times an insignifcant amount is still insignificant. If I have 20 cents, that's 20 times 1 cent... but will it get you anything?

It would be nice if the media would report facts, but facts don't sell papers. Emotions do.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #204
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott VanDenHaute View Post
Anyone paying by check in front of me in the grocery store line.
Yeah that drives me nuts, and in this day and age with debit cards, quick pass etc... When you pay by check you may as well just tell the checker "I'm floating this check and I have no money in my account, I really hope you guys don't cash it until Friday"
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #205
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
Yeah that drives me nuts, and in this day and age with debit cards, quick pass etc... When you pay by check you may as well just tell the checker "I'm floating this check and I have no money in my account, I really hope you guys don't cash it until Friday"
Most places I've seen it's all done electronically now anyway even with a check. At Walmart, they give the check right back to you. I seldom use checks especially at retail places, but if the amount is more than $200 I'd have to..
Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #206
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post

I live in Japan, in Tokyo. For those of you who are wondering, there is no radioactive cloud over Tokyo. We are not mutating. Life is going on, albeit it with the minor disruptions of planned power outages, trains not running in order to conserve energy, and people buying more food than they need 'in case of emergency'. The foreign media's depiction of the situation here in Japan makes it seem like it's armageddon. Yes, there are people who have lost everything, lots who have died, and there are bad situations going on in the places affected the most by earthquake and tsunami. The radiation situation is not as bad as the news is making it sound.

20 times more radiation than normal in Tokyo... yes, that's true, but 20 times an insignifcant amount is still insignificant. If I have 20 cents, that's 20 times 1 cent... but will it get you anything?

It would be nice if the media would report facts, but facts don't sell papers. Emotions do.
I share this pet peeve. Report the facts and let me form my own conclusions.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #207
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:

The Military TImes series of newspapers is also reporting than the members of the military will stop getting paid in April for a Government Shutdown. So...what you're saying is That 1,455,000 (Active Duty) servicemebers will just stop getting paid and NO ONE in the entire Chain of Command is mentioning it??

Someone bring me my bull**** flag and whistle.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #208
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
The radiation situation is not as bad as the news is making it sound..
Maybe it's just media hype but I've seen the pictures of the destroyed reactors and I'm reading about exposed fuel rods and the situation seems pretty dire. Last count was upwards of 16,000 people dead and a possible melt down at a nuclear facility, this is definitely newsworthy.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #209
Adam Carlson

Profile:

newsworthy to be true. The devastation from the earthquake and tsunami are horrendous. The nuclear plant is not as big an issue as those things.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #210
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:

Even if you live right next to a nuclear power it would take 1000 years to absorb as much radiation as you get with 1 chest x-ray. So even at 20 times the normal radiation output it would still take 50 years to equal 1 chest x-ray.