CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Austin Peck

Profile:
homemade 40 lb med balls?

I have started doing the CFFB workouts and a few of them have called for 40 lb med ball slams. Anyone have any idea how to make a ball that heavy? Online 40 lb medballs were about $140. I looked into buckshot, but a 40 lb bag wasn't much cheaper...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Austin Peck

Profile:
Re: homemade 40 lb med balls?

In fact, doesn't even have to be a ball. Just has to be durable enough for repeatedly slamming it into the ground...
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Rolando Santos

Profile:

This might not be too much help depending, but if the shape of what you are slamming is not critical to you you could make a small "sand bag". There was a thread that I was involved with were I suggested using rubber mulch as a filler and some reported that the bag actually bounced a little when slamming it. Personally I think this could be an economical substitute...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:

You can get lead tire weights at a tire store for free or really cheap. Drive there in a nice car and tell them what you want them for. If you drive a beater, they'll assume you are going to sell them for scrap and my not deal with you...

The real problem is figuring out a way to make the ball that won't break. That is going to be tough. Big time commercial manufactures have failed, so I don't know. It helps to slam it on a seat cushion, but only for so long.

Slaming a tire works well. However, I'm not sure what size for 40 pounds. It might be too big to easily get a hold of and slam. Tire are free. Maybe if you could get a tire on a rim. I don't know what it would weigh. Maybe if you can find a cooperative tire store, add weight then put on the rim.

After a little research, you should be able to get a tire and steel rim in the 35 to 40 pound range. Go to a junkyard and tell them what your looking for. Bring a scale, they'll have one, but it would be handier to have on with you. They sell them for older cars. It will be a lot cheaper and last way way longer than a purchased ball. If your real picky about weight, I'm sure for a few bucks they would add tire weights to the inside and put it back together.

Last edited by Roger Smith; 07-06-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Tom Catey

Profile:

I put 25 pounds of lead shot into an intermediate sized 28.5 basketball and filled the remaining space with sand. My ball weighs just under 38 pounds. It was originally in a regular sized basketball and weighed just over 40 pounds. If I recall correctly it was about 44 pounds. It works great. I have split a couple of balls but they generally last about a year or better. When they split I just put the shot and sand into another ball. I buy the balls from the goodwill for about $2.00 and the lead shot was about $25. A lot cheaper than buying a commercial ball for slams and works just fine. I know a friend who made an 80# ball using shot but it split pretty quick so around 45 to 50# seems to be the limit.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

+ 1 for what Tom said. I did the same thing and then just wrapped the balls in duct tape.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Austin Peck

Profile:

Okay...I will have to keep what Tom said in mind for next time.

For now, I got three sandbags, a roll of gorilla tape, and a 50 lb bag of sand.

I filled one bag, tied it off, then double and triple bagged it. Then proceeded to use the entire roll of gorilla tape on it.

I have a feeling it will split eventually....just wanna see how long it lasts. And for something that took less than an hour to make and cost 12 dollars...if it works even through tomorrows workout I will be happy.

Plus, training with the oddly shaped object might be beneficial as well.

Here is how it looks.

Oh, and it ended up being about 54 lbs...figured that way if any of it got out I would still be good for at least 40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0197.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	4569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0201.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	4570  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Ryan M. Hale

Profile:

That looks pretty solid! Good job. Keep us posted on how it works!! I have thrown a lot of sandbags in the past and just the sacks are pretty sturdy. With all the Tape on thereit should be pretty good.

RH
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Austin Peck

Profile:

Okay so finished the CFFB workout. Included 18-12-6 rounds of 40 lb med ball slams.

As I said before, this turned out to be 55lbs so I obviously used that weight.

Did the slams on grass as to improve chances of it surviving. Both my friend and I did the workout, so it technically went through two workouts.

only sign of wear is tearing in one of the corners in the tape, which I expected. I actually expected it to happen on both ends....so that is better than I had hoped. Tape it back up and it will be good for the next workout. Definitely worth the 12 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo02022.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4578