CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #31
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Jeff,
Best wishes with the home schooling! From what you have posted about your boys in the past, I believe they will absolutely THRIVE in this setting. You seem to have already instilled the self discipline and drive to succeed in them.

It seems to me, from reading all of the posts, that the one common factor is parents desiring the best for their children by thinking outside of the box and investing extra money, time and energy for a better product, whether it is home school or CF or any other choice.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #32
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hey Jeff, if you and the boys want to talk, let me know. Maybe one of the lunch breaks in Feb? Connor might find The Teenage Liberation Handbook a decent start. It isn't so much about homeschooling but about finding ways to fit into the adult world as a homeschooling teen.

Jeff, I would be also interested in what about high school concerns Connor? When my daughter was 15 there was a group of kids from our homeschool program who all wanted to try the junior high. About 8 of them all together. Their moms worried. Their dads worried. Finally they all went ahead and let them try school. All but one of them withdrew from school and went back to homeschooling within 6 months. That one preferred the social scene at the school. I don't know if it is related but she is also the only one who now is well known in our small town community for doing drugs and sleeping around.

(Message edited by beth_moscov on January 13, 2006)
Old 01-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #33
Jeff Roddy

Profile:
Jeff,
Let me add my best wishes to you and you family.
I second the nominate "The Teenage Liberation Handbook" and also recommend "Homeschooling for Excellance"

Jeff R.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #34
Clay Jones

Profile:

Sheila, thanks so much for the great comments! I see what you mean now.

Beth, you have a valid point about grading, one that I think about a lot. I can assign a grade to an assignment, but does that grade really tell parents anything? Better to have a one-to-one conversation with the teacher.

Your comment about character is dead on, unfortunately, especially when kids get to high school.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #35
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
Hmmm...I have reread these posts over and over. For some reason there is something drawing me back, maybe one of those "diamonds." One thread "homeschooling" started by Jamila has sparked so much input and emotion becuase it deals with an issue so close to our hearts. As parents out children's success and wellbeing is the "fuel" that keeps us going on days when we really would rather pull the covers over our head.

Maybe the "diamond" in the rough that is nagging at me is that we are from different countries yet we are facing the same educational dilema's. Then I think of the one voice of people like Gahndi, Jesus and Benjamin Franklin who changed the world. Sometimes I have to laugh when I think we are supposed to live in a democratic state yet so much of what is available to us is dictated to us. (am I making sense?) How is change possible?

This is somewhat of a passion for me. I am completing my Masters thesis, "Accelerating Academic achievement in underachieving students." Through this time of study I have realized that there is a deep deficit in the "system" and not so much in the teachers of the system. I have met some very passionate teachers who are frustrated... why with so much energy and passion and brilliance and resources out there has a change not been initiated? Is the "system" to big? Is there not a leader to step forward to initiate? Or are we as parents more savy and realize that it is nearly impossible to implement an educational system that would adequately service the needs of all the students and teachers?

Just with my own four children and not the other students I tutor I am faced with about four curriculums, three specialized programs, one IEP, one accelerated program and a variety of extra curricular activities. HOW CAN WE EXPECT A STRANGER TO KNOW OUR CHILDREN INTAMENTLY ENOUGH TO MAKE THESE ADAPTATIONS EVERY YEAR????

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and feedback. Maybe what we are doing with homeschooling is the new face of our educational system. Community by community based on individualized learning styles and educational goals.