CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Jason Rahm

Profile:
Excellent Service Again from Rogue

I ordered an Olympic WL bar from Rogue and received it 5 days later. While unpacking it, I noticed that the sticker that shipped with the bar had become lodged between the shaft and the sleeve during transit. I removed the sticker, which was covered in oil and chewed up. I was worried that it would impact the spin of the sleeve and after I gave the sleeve a spin it was confirmed. The other sleeve spun amazingly well, while the one where the sticker was lodged spun less than my Ohio bar.

I sent Rogue an email on Friday at 4:25 PM (PST) explaining the issue and included pics. I received a response from Zack at 5:49 PM (PST) the same day saying that a new bar will be shipped Monday at no charge.

So shoutout to Zack and Rogue. Thanks so much for standing behind your products!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_1.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	13740   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	13741  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Excellent Service Again from Rogue

I can't even fathom how that happened. That bar destroyed a perfectly good sticker.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Stacy Boulet

Profile:

Great service, but I would've just popped the sleeve off and fished the debris out of it. No point shipping a new bar for something that you could've taken care of yourself in about 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Boulet View Post
Great service, but I would've just popped the sleeve off and fished the debris out of it. No point shipping a new bar for something that you could've taken care of yourself in about 5 minutes.
Except that most people don't know how to pop the sleeve off. Not to mention that removing the sleeve will invalidate the warranty. So, go ahead and remove yours on your brand new bar, then have NO warranty!!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Stacy Boulet

Profile:

1) It's a simple snap-ring assembly, and tutorials are available on youtube for the folks who need a walk-through.

2) I'm not worried about a warranty on a $300 barbell. It's a consumable intended to be used and abused. As long as it's straight when I slide it out of the tube, it's good to go.

Edit: Apparently their Olympic WL bar has a different sleeve retention method than their other bars (along with a different price), so it probably is a bit harder to dismantle. My mistake. On a snap-ring bar I'd just pop the sleeve off. That one I'd have to ponder a bit before I took tools to it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
1) It's a simple snap-ring assembly, and tutorials are available on youtube for the folks who need a walk-through.

2) I'm not worried about a warranty on a $300 barbell. It's a consumable intended to be used and abused. As long as it's straight when I slide it out of the tube, it's good to go.

Edit: Apparently their Olympic WL bar has a different sleeve retention method than their other bars (along with a different price), so it probably is a bit harder to dismantle. My mistake. On a snap-ring bar I'd just pop the sleeve off. That one I'd have to ponder a bit before I took tools to it.
1) its a $500 bar
2) if it was a used bar i would have agreed but why not save the warranty if you paid full price for a brand new bar?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not worried about a warranty on a $300 barbell. It's a consumable intended to be used and abused. As long as it's straight when I slide it out of the tube, it's good to go.
You aren't, but a lot of people are. After I got a big bonus one year, my treat to myself was a Rogue bar. And I got it with the intention that this is a premium bar (it replaced a Cap barbell from Dicks's) that would last a long time (durable with a lifetime warranty). I assume that there are a lot of people like me who view these bars as luxuries and not throw-away items. To us the warranties are very important, if for nothing else than piece of mind.

If Rogue had told the OP "Here's a video on Youtube that shows you how to fix it." then that would have been one thing. The OP would have the assurance that if he messed up his bar, it was by doing something Rogue approved of. But many companies punish customers for trying to fix things on their own.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:

And, for you a $300 barbell may very well be a throw-away item, but for most of us, they are not. And, the bar in question is a $550 bar, not $300. Most of us will have bars like this for a very long time, so a lifetime warranty is not something to just toss out the window!!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Jason

The bearing bars have stainless steel threaded end caps so you can't use snap ring pliers to remove the end cap. Have to use a torch and a spanner wrench.

When you buy a bearing bar from us we expect it to be ready to go out of the tube. Once this issue was brought to our attention we pulled all the OLY bars in our warehouse and moved the sticker just in case this could happen again.

You will be moving weight soon!

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Jason Rahm

Profile:

Thanks Bill. The replacement bar is scheduled for delivery today. The chances of that happening with the sticker are so small, I appreciate you standing behind your products.

Now if only I could talk the wife into letting me have a reverse hyper in the living room...