CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: Is Rich Froning the next Lance Armstrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
With respect to Armstrong, while the fact that he "never failed a test" may be true, his success never passed my statistical eyeball test.

First, you have a population of clean athletes. It's very difficult and highly unlikely to be the best among them. It's possible of course, as someone has to be the best, but to remain so after years and years is very, very tough. Then, take into account the mean-shift in performance among that population who are PED users. The probability of a clean athlete being the best among THAT population is just downright impossible. It's like a +7 sigma instance.

To be fair to Rich, over the past 4 years, the gap between he and the rest of the field is shrinking. The sport is relatively young enough that applying the same statistical logic check to his performance may not be valid.

Regardless, I've met Rich in person and have nothing but respect for him. While his success will bring him much unwarranted scrutiny, I believe he's earned the right to be proven guilty and is otherwise clean.
I was getting ready to call you out, but you nailed it in the third paragraph! Crossfit as a sport is so new that it's conceivable someone could be "on top" for several years as other athletes catch up. Rewatching the 2009/2010/2011 Games is almost laughable when you compare it to the athletes in the 2014 Games. Rich is smart to leave this year (either competing individually or not) because the field is catching up. To bring the topic back, yes he could be using PEDs or he is genetically gifted with an astounding work ethic and he got in before Crossfit as a whole hit it's stride. I think it will be near impossible for someone else to go on the same streak Rich is on. Only time will tell, but for now he is a clean, dominating, Crossfitting machine!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #32
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
I think it will be near impossible for someone else to go on the same streak Rich is on. Only time will tell, but for now he is a clean, dominating, Crossfitting machine!
I didn't think any make athlete would be able to win it back to back. Now that Rich is gone I still don't
Old 02-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #33
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
I didn't think any make athlete would be able to win it back to back. Now that Rich is gone I still don't
i used to think that as well but honestly, there are a few new names on the scene that i can think of one of them being Fraser who is an absolute beast.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #34
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
But how does he sustain this workload? 6 workouts in 1 day? I can't imagine he maintains that workload over a extended period. It's my belief that a workload of over 13 sessions per week isn't sustainable for an elite athlete without PEDs.
Rich addressed this on more than one interview. he does not do 6 "sessions" a day. he works out 6 times a day. what i mean is that he doesn't do full sessions. he will do a metcon in morning, then lift later on, practice skill or something later on etc..

is it a lot of volume? sure but lets not forget that it is his job. he also get to do everything else that is needed to support that volume like proper sleep, proper recovery etc..
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #35
John Drohan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
I was getting ready to call you out, but you nailed it in the third paragraph! Crossfit as a sport is so new that it's conceivable someone could be "on top" for several years as other athletes catch up. Rewatching the 2009/2010/2011 Games is almost laughable when you compare it to the athletes in the 2014 Games. Rich is smart to leave this year (either competing individually or not) because the field is catching up. To bring the topic back, yes he could be using PEDs or he is genetically gifted with an astounding work ethic and he got in before Crossfit as a whole hit it's stride. I think it will be near impossible for someone else to go on the same streak Rich is on. Only time will tell, but for now he is a clean, dominating, Crossfitting machine!
A more apt comparison might be the UFC in its early stages being dominated by Royce Gracie. (And thanks for reading the whole thing before calling me out. )
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #36
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Like others commenting here, I believe innocent until proven guilty and enjoy the sport as is.
Ronnie Coleman, Arnold, and Jay Cutler never failed on either.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #37
Bill Walker

Profile:

Me personally I don't jump to assume someone is always on the juice.

Even if you're on something you still have to work. I subscribe to the Mike Rashid theory on juice.

I just say Rich worked hard and simply one. Aside from being strong, he is also a "smart athlete."

I never see the point of always assuming someone is using something. On other athletes - NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and so on I simply say...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DuzxFBl8bf...anye_shrug.png

I think there are people who are stronger than Rich that simply didn't win. Heck Sam Dancer had what a 600 plus deadlift? Why didn't he win?

Last edited by Bill Walker; 02-16-2015 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: to state work safe link.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #38
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
1,000,000 meters on a C2 in about 10 months blows my mind, that is a LOT of rowing. Someone on here should try doing just that and see how they feel in 10 months.
You realize that is about 4 1/2 minutes of rowing at 3 separate times of the day, every single day right? You see that as a mind blowing feat? A lot of rowing sure, but people take things so far out of context its ridiculous. I won't go into anything specific to this thread because its retarded, but I just saw this part within minutes after reading about Sam Dancer's training, as I'm a BIG fan lately. I read this part, which to me explains a ton and which very few people seem to grasp, which in turn, leads to a lot of foul calling and "well if I can't do it, then they must be doing something different."

Here are Dancers parts. They ask him about how do you handle nutrition, how do you get stronger, etc. Typical stuff. He answers like this.

'My answer to this questions usually goes something like this. What you need to focus on is the development of character, which speaks to your ability to follow through and start to string together day after day of efficient action on a very basic level. If you are working without the strength of character and the ability to follow through then all the complex talk about nutrition and how you need to eat to be a better athlete will be of little value to you.'

Point is, Rich just does a lot of very small, simple things repeatedly without excuse, without fail every single day of his life. For YEARS. 99% of us don't have the discipline or character to do that, therefore, we search for "other reasons" rather than simply facing the mirror and admitting where we suck. The bold part is the key to it all. To success, in and out of fitness, at the highest levels. Period. The rest is all bull$hit and fluff.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 AM   #39
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
Me personally I don't jump to assume someone is always on the juice.

Even if you're on something you still have to work. I subscribe to the Mike Rashid theory on juice.

I just say Rich worked hard and simply one. Aside from being strong, he is also a "smart athlete."

I never see the point of always assuming someone is using something. On other athletes - NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and so on I simply say...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DuzxFBl8bf...anye_shrug.png

I think there are people who are stronger than Rich that simply didn't win. Heck Sam Dancer had what a 600 plus deadlift? Why didn't he win?
I think you nailed this one..... there are a lot of people that are stronger than him but didn't win..

Because Rich is good at everything... not the best, but good...
Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #40
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Ronnie Coleman, Arnold, and Jay Cutler never failed on either.
I saw the smiley so not sure if you're serious or not...but IFBB pros aren't tested, its test free sport...ALTHOUGH they did try testing for a while in the 90s or 80s...that didn't last long.