CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Scott Erb

Profile:
Pre-event nutrition for specific event

Nutrition gurus -

Tomorrow I am running my Navy PT test (I know, not really challenging), but I want to do my best, especially on the 1.5 mile run. My question is how to approach nutrition tonight and tomorrow morning to achieve that short-range goal?

Background - about 1 year in to CF. Generally level 3 (advanced) on the CF Seattle benchmarks. I'm 5'10, about 190, ~12% BF. Currently I am doing a modified zone as follows: 17P, 9C, 34F and leaning out nicely. Not Paleo, but I am limiting wheat and dairy. PWO I normally have a 1 block snack about 30 mins before I get to the gym. Tomorrow, because of the way that the test is run, about the latest I'll be able to eat PWO is 90 min before the run (it's done last and we have to walk about 20 min to the course).

Should I up the carbs tonight and in the AM? Do 2 blocks PWO? Other ideas? After the test, I'll go right back into my normal plan.

Thanks is advance!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Pre-event nutrition for specific event

I'm not in the Navy, but from what I've read here the standard PT test is less demanding than most of the Hero or longer Girl workouts. Carbo loading the night before seems like serious overkill to me. Maybe have a slightly larger snack since you're eating it earlier, but even that shouldn't matter unless you're seriously glycogen depleted.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 05-13-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Scott Erb

Profile:

Katherine - Thanks. I'm probably overthinking it. 2-block PWO snack and 321Go
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I've carbo loaded and not for a PRT. It never seemed to matter, I used to like a gatorade prior to. that's just me. Good sleep the night before and prior training seemed to be a better predictor of results for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Omar Omar

Profile:

That distance is kinda short so i don't think you need to worry about nutrition the day before except for not eating too much fat or fast food that will leave your breathing hard.

Do you know what time exactly your run will happen, eat anything about 5 hours earlier like eggs and milk or anything similar. Then 3 hours before the race eat anything small and quick to digest. I would go for a beagle or maybe some fruits or vegetables. I never get cramps and do good.

3 days ago i had a track meet and i ate eggs and green tea 5 hours before the race, then with three hours left i had pizza and water (pizza was the only thing i could get there tho.) and i ran a 4:48 mile.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Danni Coffman

Profile:

Carbo-loading isn't eating extra calories but is simply getting a higher than normal percentage of your calories from carbs. I doubt it's necessary but it could give you an extra kick. If you have the time, maybe experiment and see whether anything in particular gives you extra energy.

In my experience, the one thing that helps is coffee right beforehand.

D'oh, I see that it's too late. Good luck today!!!

Last edited by Danni Coffman : 05-14-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: I'm dumb.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Scott Erb

Profile:

All - thanks! bumped my carbs up to Zone Rx for breakfast this morning and PWO snack, instead of normal 1/2 Zone Rx.

Run went well - 9:40 with no run training. Push-ups and Sit-ups were trivial.

Omar - rockin mile! I'd like to get to around 5:30 mile/sub-9:00 1.5/sub-20 5K in the next year or so...