CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Shaun wiegert

Profile:
35 and high cholesterol

Hello fellow crossfitters. I am 35, 6'1" and 192 lbs at about 13% BF. I feel I am in decent shape...the best I have ever been personally. Anyhow I started lifting last june and crossfit in september. My progress has been amazing. I have worked my butt off and have eaten what I thought was fairly healthy. My diet has consisted mostly of chicken, eggs, salad and home cooked foods. Anyhow I had my annual check up this year and found that my cholesterol has gone up again. Part of me starting this health kick was my 128 LDL level. I wanted to get it back in check. As it turns out all of my efforts have landed me at 151 this year. I have done some research on cholesterol in foods and have found that meats are very high in cholesterol. hell a 3 oz serving of chicken breast grilled is 102mg. My doc wants me under 200 per day to get back in check then I can go back to a 300mg diet. So all of the eggs I have eaten over the last year has no doubt contributed to my problem as they have 167mg in a single large egg.

So does anybody have some advice for keeping my size while having a low cholesterol diet. How do I get my protien w/o taking a supplement? It could be that I have a genetic problem; however, I want to try to solve my problem without drugs.

Thanks for any advice. I really have no Idea how to get to where I need to go without living on salads. Problem is salad provides little protien.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: 35 and high cholesterol

What's the matter with a protein supplement?

Are you getting enough calories with "chicken, eggs, salad and home cooked foods?" That's not a particularly balanced diet depending on what "home cooked foods" means. What's a typical day of eating look like for you?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

How much carbs are you getting in daily, approx?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

What are you HDL and triglycerides?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
Hello fellow crossfitters. I am 35, 6'1" and 192 lbs at about 13% BF. I feel I am in decent shape...the best I have ever been personally. Anyhow I started lifting last june and crossfit in september. My progress has been amazing. I have worked my butt off and have eaten what I thought was fairly healthy. My diet has consisted mostly of chicken, eggs, salad and home cooked foods. Anyhow I had my annual check up this year and found that my cholesterol has gone up again. Part of me starting this health kick was my 128 LDL level. I wanted to get it back in check. As it turns out all of my efforts have landed me at 151 this year. I have done some research on cholesterol in foods and have found that meats are very high in cholesterol. hell a 3 oz serving of chicken breast grilled is 102mg. My doc wants me under 200 per day to get back in check then I can go back to a 300mg diet. So all of the eggs I have eaten over the last year has no doubt contributed to my problem as they have 167mg in a single large egg.

So does anybody have some advice for keeping my size while having a low cholesterol diet. How do I get my protien w/o taking a supplement? It could be that I have a genetic problem; however, I want to try to solve my problem without drugs.

Thanks for any advice. I really have no Idea how to get to where I need to go without living on salads. Problem is salad provides little protien.
Actually, the eggs and meat in your diet have very little to do with your measurable blood cholesterol levels.

Chris
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Will Seavey

Profile:

151 isn't considered "high" and 128 is definitely not high. There was a recent update to the blood cholesterol guidelines and unless you have a high cardiovascular risk (greater than 7.5% 10 year risk via this calculator (WFS) or if your baseline was greater than 190, you would be indicated to starting drug therapy, but that is usually only people with genetic disorders at your age. All the recommendations for this also say good diet,exercise, etc which crossfit more than covers.

You are only 35 and don't even need your cholesterol checked again until you are 40 since you didn't have truly elevated blood cholesterol in the first place. Unless there is something else in your history like diabetes/cardiovascular disease or family history like early onset cardiovascular disease, a diet that has lean meats is great IMO. A paleo/zone/government recommended diet suggests lean meats, not fatty steak and bacon every day. A truly low cholesterol diet can only reduce cholesterol around 8%, maybe a bit more if combined with exercise.

I don't see what would be wrong with protein shakes, usually there are some easy things people can cut out like egg yolks (just eat the whites) and whole milk that cut down cholesterol intake, but on average that won't bring you down much. And since you don't have high cholesterol, I think you're fine.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Bob Herald

Profile:

What's more important is your ratio of LDL and hdl. There's also recent evidence out there that high cholesterol is not a marker of heart disease. Also keep in mind that high cholesterol , like high blood pressure , can be genetic.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Shaun wiegert

Profile:

Thank you for all the responses. My total cholesterol was like 215. Ldl was 151 and im out of town and cant remember the triglycerides.

Usual day for me was....
6:00 Sausage and egg burrito from mcd...190 cal and like 10 g protien.
9:00 pbj sandwich...very heavy pb. 450-500 cal and like 14g protien
11:30 southwest grilled chicken salad...mcd 430 cal and like 23g protien
2:00 another pbj
3:30 crossfit
4:30 16 oz chocolate skim milk for recovery.
6:30 dinner....usually things like stew, chilli, grilled meats chicken or kc strips, some asian foods, spaghetti, pastas. I usually try to eat a reserved serving that dishes out about 1000 cal. Everything we cook is done with extra virgin olive oil.
I think that was a normal day. I was for a long time eating 3-4 whole eggs for breakfast.
And i was drinking lots of milk all day. I dont drink soda.

I know if i was stricter with my diet i would probably drop about 8 lbs and fall to about 9% bf real easy. But i like my wifes cooking. I dont eat much by the way of sweets.

I have since found out that my dad and his 5 brothers all have high cholesterol. Both of my sisters and my brother also have high cholesterol. Jessica(oldest sister) is age 32 and she is on medicine.

My brother and I are the only ones that are relatively fit.

My current diet consists of oatmeal, a fruit and protien shake for breakfast. Also 12 oz of skim milk.
Dry cherios for break
Chicken salad for lunch
Protien shake for break
Post workout 16 oz chocolate skim milk
Chicken sandwich with home made fries (i know) or chicken salad for dinner

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I tried to answer questions asked of me.

Thanks again
Shaun
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Shaun wiegert

Profile:

I think my hdl was like 64
215 total
151 ldl
64 hdl

Ill get back to you with the triglycerides
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Your diet is severly lacking in fat. Also, here is an excellent source if you want to learn about the mechanism of cholesterol http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/t...esterol-part-i (wfs)