CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Matthew Eugene Cobb

Profile:
Going to the gym once a week or two?

Been doing crossfit for over 2 years. Spent the 2 years at 3 different crossfit gyms in 3 different states. Tried doing crossfit once at a golds and that lasted about a month till I switched to a normal gym. Was hard to work around people, and a tad less motivated.

Paying $125 a month now in my new state, and the price is hurting me.

Came up with a new plan and wanted to see if someone does anything similiar. I was thinking about outfitting my garage like tons of people do, but then also go to the crossfit gym once every week or two in hopes that I will be motivated for the week or two when Im working out on my own so that I will do awesome when I go to the actual gym. If that makes any since....

I know several gyms in the area let you pay per class. So I figure if Im paying $10-20 per class and only go a few times a month, that will help me out a lot!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Going to the gym once a week or two?

First, 125 is a deal if unlimited.
The way I see it, if you weren't motivated enough to get after it at gold's, then working out at home may be a flop anyway. Certainly worth a try. But really track your expenses to see how much you actually are spending.
Your range of 10-20 for a drop-in is quite a variance. That's 40 or 80 a month for once a week. Most places seem to be 20 anyway - not conincidently, the cost of a t-shirt. No doubt, you may go 6 times or more too.
So, let's average it as 5 times a month @15
That's 75 per month.
Now, factor in say 4-500 to lightly equip your gym (and assumes your time to source/build all this stuff is not valuable). So let's call it 450 (I've spent over 1000 and aren't even done.)
That'll take you about 9 months to get back in savings. Assuming the 50 per month saving of not paying membership.
Add more equipment, add some costs, adds time to pay yourself back.

This is, in some ways, how you will have to look at it. The long run - and almost like a self-funding project. Will it get off the ground or is it actually worth the value and time to pay that $125 a month.
Outside of the capital upfront costs of outfitting your gym. You're only saving $50 a month on average. If it's important to you, just go out once less a month.

But to answer your original question. I have a home gym and a gym membership. Both are important to me so I make it work. I am transitioning towards all home all the time. But will be drop-in like once a month - and if I miss the gym, I'll rejoin.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Matthew Eugene Cobb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
First, 125 is a deal if unlimited.
The way I see it, if you weren't motivated enough to get after it at gold's, then working out at home may be a flop anyway. Certainly worth a try. But really track your expenses to see how much you actually are spending.
Your range of 10-20 for a drop-in is quite a variance. That's 40 or 80 a month for once a week. Most places seem to be 20 anyway - not conincidently, the cost of a t-shirt. No doubt, you may go 6 times or more too.
So, let's average it as 5 times a month @15
That's 75 per month.
Now, factor in say 4-500 to lightly equip your gym (and assumes your time to source/build all this stuff is not valuable). So let's call it 450 (I've spent over 1000 and aren't even done.)
That'll take you about 9 months to get back in savings. Assuming the 50 per month saving of not paying membership.
Add more equipment, add some costs, adds time to pay yourself back.

This is, in some ways, how you will have to look at it. The long run - and almost like a self-funding project. Will it get off the ground or is it actually worth the value and time to pay that $125 a month.
Outside of the capital upfront costs of outfitting your gym. You're only saving $50 a month on average. If it's important to you, just go out once less a month.

But to answer your original question. I have a home gym and a gym membership. Both are important to me so I make it work. I am transitioning towards all home all the time. But will be drop-in like once a month - and if I miss the gym, I'll rejoin.
I see where your coming from, and thanks for the advice. For a 10 time visit pass it will be less $150 for my gym.

But, i would probaly bounce around to other gyms in the area too, and only go once every two weeks, and pick the workouts I can kill it at! lol

But to me, right now, $50 a month is a good savings. I dont have cable tv right now, only internet, $50 a month could get me cable! lol

And I was some what motivated at Golds, I just felt like a duech bag running all around and having people stare at me.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Whatever keeps you motivated, man. For me, that's just too complicated. I looked into doing something kind of like what you're doing. I looked into outfitting a garage gym, looked into other gyms, and in the end, I pay my 'unlimited' fee and don't have to think about it. I show up, do the WOD, and go about my day.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Mike Doehla

Profile:

so you're going to outfit a home gym just to save $50 a month? Think about that for a minute. In a year you save $600. A good barbell, rack, and weights will cost you more than that.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Austin Jones

Profile:

I went through the same thing a year ago when we had our first baby. For me it was about spending less time away from home. I told myself I'd go to the box once or twice a week for the social aspect of it, pay the $10 drop in fee and still save money. I have not been once. The big difference was I already had a pretty solid garage gym, and was already supplementing my box WODS with 5/3/1 at home. Since then i've spent some money buying more gear for the garage(specialty bars, heavy dumbbells, more iron, etc), and I've probably spent as much as I saved. That being said, I'm extremely happy with my choice. As much fun as it was doing WODs with the group, I much prefer spending time with my daughter.

Solo garage gym is definitely not for everyone. If you aren't motivated to train, you wont. Thats part of what was nice about going to a box, the accountability. I personally love being able to decide what program i'm running and that was always my gripe with going to a box.

I can tell you though, that outfitting a gym at home is an addiction. Thank goodness there are enough people on Craigslist who don't know the value of their gear. Flipping gear to subsidize your own garage is half the fun of having your own gym.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Matthew Eugene Cobb

Profile:

Thanks for the response Austin.

Even if I still go to the box twice a month I'll be saving $100 a month.

Like you I'm not doing it just to save money. I also like the idea of doing my own programming and having the flexibility of when I work out.

I know I'll spend a couple grand setting up my gym. Already got a few things off Craigslist. In the end if I wanted to I vould Probaly get all my money back.

So $2,000 is an investment. Unlike $1,800 to a box
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm not arguing before or against a box.

Your thinking is correct on the home gym equipment. If you buy good stuff either new or used and take good care of it, I find you can sell the used stuff for what you paid for it and the new stuff you can get about .60-.70 on the dollar.

If you continue to follow CrossFit for multiple years this will coast less then belonging to a gym.

What you really are paying for at a gym is the coaching not the equipment. If you just want to be in shape and are not worried about higher level skills or competitions and are self motivated you don't need the coaching.

If on the other hand your a person who has a history of starting and stopping, you are interested in higher level skills, you want to compete then your garage gym results will not be close to your results from attending an affiliate gym 4 or more days a week.

Just have to be honest with yourself about who you really are and your goals.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Austin Jones

Profile:

What Brendan said is accurate. The only caveat I would put in is that that "affiliate advantage" is only as good as your affiliate. Plenty of them out there that aren't doing much for their members other than providing them a space to workout and an often poorly programmed WOD. I always hope that those affiliates are few and far between, but they exist. My affiliate was great, but as my priorities changed, both personally and training, I found I could just as easily sling iron at home instead of trying to squeeze in a 5x5 before a WOD.

At the end for me I just decided to take ownership of my training, which became much more strength biased. This was just easier to do at home. Full disclosure though, I was already a high school S+C coach, and USAW level 1 so I knew what I was doing.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Michael Cook

Profile:

If your motivation is saving money, you might want to look at when the boxes around your area offer free wods. The box I go to has a free wod on the first saturday of every month.