CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Daniel P Phillips

Profile:
Snatch strength

Hi,

Just a quick one guys is there any other exercises I could do to increase my strength on snatch? As I really struggle with anything over half my body weight on all of the over head exercises mainly snatch.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Snatch strength

What part of the snatch gives you trouble?

What are some of your current strength numbers? Squat, press, etc? How much can you clean?

Squats are always the best thing to do in my opinion. If you're technique isn't good keep it light until you have developed more strength and near perfect technique with light weights.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Squats, Snatch Balance, Sotts press and learning the proper technique. Behind the neck, snatch grip, strict press (some people call this the Klokov Press) could help, too.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Timothy Mabe

Profile:

I have the same question. My one rep max on the snatch, clean and OHS are around 165-175. I am 60 and weigh 200 pounds. I have only been working on these moves recently on my own. I was told if I worked on hip flexibility it may help some. Any advice? I am still struggling with catching the snatch in a full squat with much weight. I guess it will just take time.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Mabe View Post
I have the same question. My one rep max on the snatch, clean and OHS are around 165-175. I am 60 and weigh 200 pounds. I have only been working on these moves recently on my own. I was told if I worked on hip flexibility it may help some. Any advice? I am still struggling with catching the snatch in a full squat with much weight. I guess it will just take time.
Same questions to you: How much do you squat, press, etc. A video would help to see if there are technical issues. I'm assuming since your clean and snatch are the same there are a lot of problems.

If you can't catch it at the bottom it could be a number of things, hip mobility being one of them.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Mabe View Post
I would like to know what your power clean and power snatch are like. Is it more than the full variations of the lifts?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
Daniel P Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post

What are some of your current strength numbers? Squat, press, etc? How much can you clean?

Squats are always the best thing to do in my opinion. If you're technique isn't good keep it light until you have developed more strength and near perfect technique with light weights.
Hey the part I am struggling with is anything above shoulder level really my max is 88lbs any thing above I can't reach full extension overhead, few weeks ago I really tried to push this and went up to 100 lbs, I manged to extend but literally had to drop the bar on extension.

My current stats are 5.8", 177 lbs can dead lift and 1 rep max at 220 lbs can sumo dead lift around 110lbs for reps.

Have tried building balance and strength for over head by repeating a wod from last week with walking with a weighted bar over head at fully extension and walking lunge with the same bar. Also practising form with a light weighted bar, but these fugues haven't budged in a long time hence me trying to push the weight up.

I was wondering of more concentrated work on my traps and rotary cuffs would help me push the weight up.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Daniel P Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post

Hey the part I am struggling with is anything above shoulder level really my max is 88lbs any thing above I can't reach full extension overhead, few weeks ago I really tried to push this and went up to 100 lbs, I manged to extend but literally had to drop the bar on extension.

My current stats are 5.8", 177 lbs can dead lift and 1 rep max at 220 lbs can sumo dead lift around 110lbs for reps.

Have tried building balance and strength for over head by repeating a wod from last week with walking with a weighted bar over head at fully extension and walking lunge with the same bar. Also practising form with a light weighted bar, but these fugues haven't budged in a long time hence me trying to push the weight up.

I was wondering of more concentrated work on my traps and rotary cuffs would help me push the weight up.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Daniel, your problem is probably both related to technique and general strength. I highly suggest you start a basic dedicated strength program rather than repeating a conditioning work out to build your strength, which will only give you slow and minimal gains.

I suggest doing GSLP, and adding in full cleans and full snatches to your warm ups.

Or, if you are more interested in pure Olympic work doing something like Mike's Gym http://mikesgym.org/ (WFS) or Catalyst Athletics https://www.catalystathletics.com/workouts/ (WFS).

As far as GSLP goes, there are a few threads on it in the fitness forum.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
SP

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel P Phillips View Post

Are you in England? If so I would strongly recommend you visit Oxford Power Sports and see Marius Hardiman. He's a great coach and you will learn so much more from him than any of us here. His website is here http://www.oxfordpowersports.co.uk/ (WFS)