CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Theresa Stephens

Profile:
What to do on rest days...

I started CrossFit a couple of years ago and then dropped it when I started a new job, adopted a child (while also raising a teenage son!), and moved across the country in the space of a few months. Got to my new town (Great Falls, MT) and there was no affiliate. Now there is and I am loving it. We have a great trainer and I am so excited to get back on the horse.

The last time I did CrossFit, I was sort of half-heartedly into it as I had so much going on in my life. This time around, I have plenty of free time, I feel stronger than before, I'm emotionally in a fantastic place, and I love the new affiliate I just joined. I've been fairly committed to Paleo for the last two months, have dropped tons of body fat, and really feel like I am in such a good place to really hit it hard, but don't want to overdo it and burn out.

I am at the point where I want to start the 3-1 schedule. On my one off, however, I take a friend to the gym on the military base on which I live as she recently broke her foot. She's in a cast for eight weeks so she comes to that gym with me since we have a hand bike. I just sort of wander around in fear that if I do anything, it will make me too sore to do CrossFit the rest of the time. Is there a good globo-gym workout I can do on rest days that will give me a decent workout, still count for a rest day, utilize that hour I'm at the gym well, but not overwork my muscles? I've been doing the rowing machine or the treadmill and light weights for body parts I feel can use some spot toning, but wondering if there is a go-to recommendation for rest days.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: What to do on rest days...

A decent workout on a rest day is an oxymoron.

If you plan on doing the 3 on 1 off plan, you're going to need that rest day.

Improvement comes from recovery, not from working out on your rest day.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

A workout that "counts for a rest day" and does "some spot toning" is not only impossible but also a terrible idea. Hopefully you know spot toning/spot reducing is a myth.

Rest days are for rest, or mobility work, or very low intensity skill work. That's pretty much it. Or you can work out every day and get burnt out or injured, it's your call.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

I definitely want to rest, but I know a lot of people do skill work on rest days or something that helps them improve their performance throughout the rest of the week without taxing the body too much. I guess I'm asking if there is a super-light workout that I can do in a regular gym that will help me improve the rest of my CrossFit week or if it should be a genuine, don't get off my butt, rest day. I know CrossFit recommends a supplemental sport. I don't have a sport, per se, so maybe something light I can do on rest days that will just improve my abilities as a CrossFitter? I don't care about burning calories or a good sweat on these rest days, but just something that will help me on my CrossFit days...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
A workout that "counts for a rest day" and does "some spot toning" is not only impossible but also a terrible idea. Hopefully you know spot toning/spot reducing is a myth.

Rest days are for rest, or mobility work, or very low intensity skill work. That's pretty much it. Or you can work out every day and get burnt out or injured, it's your call.
I know spot reduction is a myth. But spot toning, I hope, is not!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Stephens View Post
I definitely want to rest, but I know a lot of people do skill work on rest days or something that helps them improve their performance throughout the rest of the week without taxing the body too much. I guess I'm asking if there is a super-light workout that I can do in a regular gym that will help me improve the rest of my CrossFit week or if it should be a genuine, don't get off my butt, workday. I know CrossFit recommends a supplemental sport. I don't have a sport, per se, so maybe something light I can do on rest days that will just improve my abilities as a CrossFitter? I don't care about burning calories or a good sweat on these rest days, but just something that will help me on my CrossFit days...
Like I just said, that "something that will help you improve" is resting. Or foam rolling or mobility WOD (WFS) type stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Stephens View Post
I know spot reduction is a myth. But spot toning, I hope, is not!
"Toning" is a myth too. Muscles get stronger or they get weaker, to loosely quote Rip. There's no firming or toning or sculpting that goes on.

Now, if you mean your hamstrings and glutes will get stronger and more defined from squatting and deadlifting then sure, "spot toning" is possible. But those aren't the kinds of things you do on rest days.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

When do people do the supplemental sport CrossFit recommends? Is that on CrossFit days, as well?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

Quote:
"Toning" is a myth too. Muscles get stronger or they get weaker, to loosely quote Rip. There's no firming or toning or sculpting that goes on.

Now, if you mean your hamstrings and glutes will get stronger and more defined from squatting and deadlifting then sure, "spot toning" is possible. But those aren't the kinds of things you do on rest days.
Yep, guess that's what I'm talking about. I guess I keep hoping that my triceps will catch up with the change going on in the rest of my body. Darn.

Last edited by Theresa Stephens; 07-26-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

Quote:
Like I just said, that "something that will help you improve" is resting. Or foam rolling or mobility WOD (WFS) type stuff.
Thanks for the link. I've not seen that before; should be helpful.