CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

thinking about picking up an empty keg and filling it with water to change the routine a bit.

i've always been strictly bodyweight, but the keg seems pretty cheap and challenging.

what i am concerned about is are there any drawbacks to doing cleans, presses, dead lifts, etc., with only a keg?

is this safe? i won't ever be using a barbell or traditional weight. only a keg. i'm thinking once or twice a week depending on how much i enjoy it/ adapt to it.

will only using a keg in these lifts lead to injury or muscle imbalance?

i must admit i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to weightlifting. so i want to make sure this is a solid idea to incorporate on a regualr basis for strength training.

i am assuing if i use proper form and a reasonable weight it should produce the same results as a traditional barbell routine.

here's hoping anyway...

by the way, doesn't seem to many people here lift kegs. the search didn't bring up to much. a bit on sand bag training- which was what i was originally thinking about. what turned me on to the keg was that i beleive it will be less messy- no broken sand bags. it will also be cheaper, and as far as i can read, will provide the same 'fun.'
so the above question, i think, could easily relate to sandbag training as well, i suppose.

cheers,
t.

maybe t
Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
If you don't do any weightlifting, I'd start off with an empty keg and work your way up. You might be surprised how difficult they are to handle once you get a bit of water in them.

Other than that, I think it's a great idea.

Oh, btw, I've never had a sandbag bust open unless it was being dragged on the ground for extended distances. They are about as solid and clean as you can get. A keg, on the other hand, will leak unless you seal it with a wood peg, but then adjusting the water/weight becomes a huge pain in the .
Old 12-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I was just talking about cleaning kegs the other day. The hardest part to me (a former bartender for many years) is refilling an empty with water. We used to put green dye in the bud light on st patrick's day and that wasn't easy. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

hmm.. i figured a keg would be pretty leak proof. i was looking at an article on fighttraining that said you could use two screw drivers to take apart the valve then after filling put the valve back. the author said it was tricky, but doable.

is this what you did anthony? or do you have a wooden peg hammered into it... aren't you afraid it might pop out sending water everywhere?

well. even if it leaks a bit it will be cheaper. i'm figuring two bags of sand, some contractor bags and duct tape will put me around ten bucks. a figure the keg shoudl be around 10-15$. and water's free.

t.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Michael Stehle

Profile:
We have a keg w/ about 80lbs. of water in it, very challanging. The only thing I've ever done w/ it is clean and press. I can see how adjusting weight can be a pain in the a$$. The water shaking around in the rack after the clean definately adds an evil twist. Just make sure you release all the pressure in the keg before you open it up and fill it, or you will be in for a big surprise.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Travis, both of my kegs have built in holes on the side in addition to the top valve (not sure if this is normal, but I bought them that way from a local brewery). I originally planned to plug them "lightly" with the wooden peg (also given to me by the local brewery) and adjust the water that way. Unfortunately, a few drops and the peg gets wedged in pretty tight and you're forced to smash it out with a hammer in order to change the water weight. Trust me, the last thing you need to worry about is the wooden peg falling/popping out. At this point I surrendered and started using duct tape.

Do you have a link to the article about the valves? I may give it a shot.

And I'll get some pics of my kegs to show you what I'm talking about.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Here are the pics, sorry for the quality, I took them with my phone:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/34004.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/34005.jpg
Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Adam C Lautenschlager

Profile:
Some resources you guys might find helpful (ALL links are family/work safe):

Keg Lifting 101 and 102 by Dan Cenidoza, on his site:

http://www.bemoretraining.com/articles.html

An FAQ for opening a "Sankey" type Keg (the most common one, I think):

http://home.insightbb.com/~benschoep/keg/sankey.htm

If you're going to fill one permanently, you can just use some "Household Goop" around the top instead of trying to replace the washer (they don't always seal too well when not pressurized). Or, you can get a kit here:

http://kegman.net/keg_kit.htm

"The kit will allow anybody to open and close a sankey American keg for cleaning, wine or beer storage or to add and remove water for weight training"

Keg training rocks, I hope the ones I left for Crossfit DC are getting some use ;P

Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
I found that trying to get a keg can be a pain in the but. People don’t want to give them up because of the aluminum in them. Depending on how much it is made out of they can be worth quit a bit. I paid $50 for mine but it is worth every penny.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
Travis Hall

Profile:

here's the article (not much to it) that explains how to open it (work and family safe):
http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/KEG.html
although the one adam posted looks a lot better!

also (w/f safe) ross e.'s forum has some info if you use the search feature:
http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/

as far as getting one- i just plan on wandering around to different pubs and asking if i can pay the deposit and a little extra for whomever's pocket... i called a few places, but i'm in exams now, then christmas so i might not actually see a keg until january :angry000:

thanks for the pics anthony and links adam.

t.