CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
Interesting study indicates that the healthiest amount of sleep is between six and seven hours.

work / family safe:

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2002/02_08_Kripke.html
Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Sleeping is practice in dying, so the less you practice, the worse you get at it ;)
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:
My partner expouses the exact same theory. I'd hate to live on 6 hours. She says you can sleep when you die, but I reckon you need to sleep to live!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
So, is this study accurate? Would y'all think that someone doing the Rx'd WOD would need more sleep, or no?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Kevin Stricker

Profile:
Thought I would point out the obvious...If you only need 6.5 hours of sleep to maintain health surely you need more to sustain fitness.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Ok, it correlates, but is it causal? Ok, maybe more people that sleep >8 hrs have a higher "hazard rate", but could that simply be because of other factors in their lifestyle that also correlates with sleeping more? Folks that are terribly out of shape tend to sleep more for many reasons, so they will weigh in on that side of the statistic. I'd be interested in results from a study on this run differently with controls etc. Trouble is that would take 40-60 years to get the data :-).

In my opinion a fit person getting a good 8 hrs will live longer than a fit person getting 6 (assuming all other factors the same, some people just need less sleep). I know I don't recover as well, function worse, etc on less sleep.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
David Aguasca

Profile:
i agree with roger, on his first point.

personally, i FEEL better when i get 8-9 hours of sleep. i think clearer, have more patience, i'm more resistant to the cold/hot weather, and i don't feel drowsy driving. to me, that's a worthwhile trade for a few years off my life (if the study is even accurate to begin with)
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"She says you can sleep when you die, but I reckon you need to sleep to live!"

Then again....do you want to die at 50...or be healthy into your 90s....who knows...but I know sleep=recovery....so the more you workout, the more you need sleep. Plus going to bed at 10pm is much more different than going at 1am for quality of repair and hormones.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I used to buy into the sleep less higher health theory. Now I sleep as much as I can and nap when tired. There are so many other things that have a clear effect on ones health and are not as subjective. Perhaps the people who sleep more have a "negative" reason for doing so. In this case the ammount of sleep would be the symptom and not the problem. While I have a lot of respect for medicine, frequintly they seem to treat the symptom and not the cause.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Since I'm bias towards our natural evolutionary patterns, this study means nothing to me. In fact I'll go far as to call it junk science.

The healthiest amount of sleep is as many hours as you would in nature according to seasonal light exposure. So in winter, sleep alot and summer sleep less. The more the better as mother nature intended.

As the Native Americans use to say, "Change the environment and the environment changes you."

The message was made abundantly clear in "Lights Out."