CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I'll probably offend people by posting this, but i'm doing it anyway. I came up with these analogies today after playing guitar for a couple of hours.

Bodybuilding is the Hair Metal of Fitness:

Same stuff done at high volume with a focus on vanity, just like a hair metal band playing the same tunes over and over again as loud as they can. They spend time building a theatrical appearance to wow audiences rather than focusing on the quality of the music they are playing. Music is simply a way for metalheads to look good and get chicks, not to necessarily elevate their art form.

Running is the elevator music of Fitness:

repetitious, consistent and virtually neverending. Runners, like elevator music, can go on forever without ending, but the intensity or spice is nowhere to be found. It can be therapeutic or rejuvenating in some cases, but monotonous and boring in other cases. Most runners lack dynamics and intensity. Although they can run for a long time, elite marathoners probably couldn’t hop up onto a curb.

Crossfit is the Jazz Music of Fitness:

Randomization and Improvisation elevate this art-form of fitness by incorporating the hardest technical aspects of fitness, just as jazz has the most complex melodic phrases, chord progressions and lines. It is a dynamic system emphasizing bursts of intensity while always keeping eyes and ears on the time. Playing around with time is what makes jazz musicians so complex. There minds always feel the pulse while being able to spontaneously improvise over complex changes. Just like jazz musicians, crossfitters become fit as well as become cognitive animals that can problem solve, despite the pressure and pain of lactic acid swimming through their bodies. A Jazz musician is resilient and can tackle any set of chord changes because he possesses a solid foundation in theory and practical application. Jazz musicians use all elements of music to perfect their art. From dynamics (highs and lows), time changes, and spontaneous improvisation, jazz musicians understand their instruments inside and out and aren’t afraid of any musical situation just as crossfitters are not afraid of tackling any fitness scenario because they understand the instrument of their own physical body. They don’t use excuses like “I don’t run because I’m a weightlifter”. They listen, learn, and adapt to further their pursuit of elite fitness, just as jazz musicians draw from many genres of music to create something completely new, while still being firmly grounded in the old.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I love this. It fits with market ratios and other factors as well... Nice.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:
Charlie,

This analogy resonates. Now I have to decide whether to listen to "Kind of Blue" or Giant Steps" for today's WOD...
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
I don't listen to much jazz but this is ingenious.

I think there would be something odd about doing a WOD to John Coltrane though.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
This actualy makes sense. . .

What about power lifting and aerobics? Maybe Hardcore (Metal/Rap) and Pop. Gymnastics would by 'Classical' (Symphony).

Hardcore because they both are pushing extremes just for the sake of being the one 'who takes it the farthest'. For being the most extreme regardless of how you get there.

Pop because they both are always trendy. The same things are just repeated over and over but with different 'flavors'. Each new 'flavor' is picked up and discarded just as quickly. Does it matter which one you are currently a fan of now? They all get you same results, give the same thing.

Classical because they both are formal, have a lot of history, and is one of the most complicated to make work. Practice and repetition is key. If done incorrectly you can have disastorous results. If done correctly it can hypnotize. At execution creativitiy is limited, but results and beauty are not.

Correct me if you don't agree.

. . . Now what about Olympic lifting, Martial Arts, and bodyweight calisthenics?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Troy Archie

Profile:
Olympic lifting would have to be something explosive...
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
So, if I am flipping a tractor tire and hammering it with a sledge, lifting rocks, dragging logs, etc., is that the Bluegrass of fitness? (I would be wearing overalls and a flannel shirt with my chucks).

And what would the Punk and Rap of fitness be? Kinda scary..
Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Fran Mason

Profile:
I thought CrossFit was the New Wave of fitness.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Charlie Reid

Profile:
haha flippin' tires is definitely the bluegrass of fitness.

All art forms, and i do consider crossfit an art, essentially have the same framework. The only thing different is the way in which an artist's creativity manifests itself. Painters paint with a brush, musicians paint with their instruments, and crossfitters paint the fitness world anew with an intense mix of barbells, rings, paralettes, kettlebells, rocks and whatever else they can find.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #10
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Gymnastics would be prog rock.