CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Has anyone ever competed in a Western States 100 race? I know this isn't the place to find ultra-endurance athletes but I was just curious
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Jason McCain

Profile:
Their is a guy at CF Houston, a client who has done it. He was at the Golden Seminar in Nov. He was there with Lisa featured on the community blog Jan 25. Don't know if that helps or not.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Catra Corbett

Profile:
I have run Western States 100 5 times. I have also run 51 100 mile trail races and 300 ultramarathons.
Cheers,
Catra
http://www.trailgirl.blogspot.com
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Hey Catra, thanks for posting, I was just curious as to what your training looked like. I was thinking about doing it in the next few years. I don't have a typical runner's body, as my upper body is a little stocky, and I don't run all that much, but I entered a marathon last year and with only the fitness I had from weights and martial arts and little to no specific marathon training I finished in 3:24. I seem to have a natrually high cardio capacity, and don't fatigue easily, so I thought the WS100 might be a fun challenge. I was wondering if I could prepare for it without compromising all the progress I'm seeing following the Crossfit workouts. ANy tips? Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Catra Corbett

Profile:
Brian first of all ultrarunners come in all shapes and sizes. Ultrarunners tend to have more muscle from all the Mountain climbing in races and training. That's a good Marathon time.
I believe anyone can run 100 miles if they want to. I am a prime example. I run usually 8-12 100 mile race's a year. I am known to run back to back 100's. Last year ran 4 100 mile race's in 4 weeks.
Hey crossfit will help you with all the climbs.
Strong body makes a strong trailrunner.
I did crossfit last year for two months and my 100 mile times improved. I did crossfit for three months and then took off almost three months. I just got back into it a few weeks ago. I have a 50 mile race in a few weeks. I hope to beat my time, on that same course so we will see.
A few times a week I do crossfit two times a day. I'm training for a 2,700 mile fast pack of the Pacific Crest trail I start on May 23rd. I hope to break the unsupported speed record and do the whole thing in 78 days. I should have no problem breaking the Womans record which is 96 days. My main focus is the overall record.

With Western States 100 you have to qualify and you have to enter the lottery to get in. So if you sign up for next year you might not even get in.
There are 34 100 mile races. So you could always choose another. My top 3 favorites are Wasatch, HURT and Angeles crest.
Cheers,
Catra
Old 04-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Thanks, good luck with the record attempt. Do any other 100 mile races give out those cool belt buckles to finishers?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Catra Corbett

Profile:
Hi Brian-
Yes most all 100 mile trail race's give the finishers belt buckles.
i have all mine in a box one day I will do something cool with them. My 5 favorites are my sub 24 hour silver buckles :-)
Catra
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Peter Lavigne

Profile:
Hi there,
This might seem like an odd question, but I was wondering how much of a typical(if there is such a thing) ultra would be spent actually running vs. speed walking or scrambling?