CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: What to do on rest days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Stephens View Post
Thanks, everyone. There's a learning curve on what "rest" means for some of us. What had confused me is the supplemental sport. I read that as CrossFit methodology saying that you should do 3/1 schedule and then at least one more "active" thing a week. Got it now.
The CrossFit methodology is written on the internet, not stone.

And who's to say you can't substitute a CrossFit day to go play a sport or whatever?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
Heath Shumate

Profile:

I do my shopping and cooking on my rest day.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
Max Philipsson

Profile:

If i even thought about something that looks like physical activity on my rest day i would know that i did something wrong on my workout days.

Less is more in so many aspects of life. If it's just the nice feeling you want from a good metcon i think you may have become an endorphin junkie like the rest of us. But still, keep your addiction under control.

/

Max
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #24
Kent Newland

Profile:

If you're concerned about improving performance while on a rest day, then something low intensity should be what you're looking for. I personally like a walk, about 2-3 miles, at a pace between 15-20 minute/miles. This would be an excellent time to take the dog for a walk, if you have one. It will also help your muscles warm up a little bit and stretch out, and the increased blood flow will help any toxins get washed out.

Also, if you feel guilty for whatever reason about not having done anything that day in pursuit of increased fitness, after walking a few miles you can tell yourself honestly that you did get some exercise. If you live in the country like I do, then a walk may help you commune with yourself and get mentally recharged by taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of fresh air and nature.

Kent
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

swim with fins, slowly
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #26
Christin Street

Profile:

Rest or play sports.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
swim with fins, slowly
Curious why you specified with fins?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Curious why you specified with fins?
Because I like swimming with fins better. I think it makes one more efficient by letting one task stronger muscle groups (hips/glutes) more heavily. Plus it's more fun.

If I were training for a swimming event, I would train more specific to that event, if I were again training for SOF, I would use Rocket Fins and divide my sessions up. I'm not, I'm swimming 'cause it relaxes me, and serves as my endurance piece since I don't run anymore.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Stephens View Post
I started CrossFit a couple of years ago and then dropped it when I started a new job, adopted a child (while also raising a teenage son!), and moved across the country in the space of a few months. Got to my new town (Great Falls, MT) and there was no affiliate. Now there is and I am loving it. We have a great trainer and I am so excited to get back on the horse.

The last time I did CrossFit, I was sort of half-heartedly into it as I had so much going on in my life. This time around, I have plenty of free time, I feel stronger than before, I'm emotionally in a fantastic place, and I love the new affiliate I just joined. I've been fairly committed to Paleo for the last two months, have dropped tons of body fat, and really feel like I am in such a good place to really hit it hard, but don't want to overdo it and burn out.

I am at the point where I want to start the 3-1 schedule. On my one off, however, I take a friend to the gym on the military base on which I live as she recently broke her foot. She's in a cast for eight weeks so she comes to that gym with me since we have a hand bike. I just sort of wander around in fear that if I do anything, it will make me too sore to do CrossFit the rest of the time. Is there a good globo-gym workout I can do on rest days that will give me a decent workout, still count for a rest day, utilize that hour I'm at the gym well, but not overwork my muscles? I've been doing the rowing machine or the treadmill and light weights for body parts I feel can use some spot toning, but wondering if there is a go-to recommendation for rest days.
This might be off-topic, but reading this, I found myself thinking of the difference between a woman's definition of "nothing" versus a man's.

On your rest day, as far as working out, you should do "nothing", man's definition.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #30
James Davidson

Profile:

Funny how a lot of people must of skipped the part where she takes her friend to the gym and is looking for something to do there, at the gym for an hour.

Like many have said before mobility work, or gymnastic skills.