CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #261
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Nike Metcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
It's becoming obvious that Nike really doesn't care about getting serious in CrossFit. The dock issues on the west coast are all but over so at this point there is no excuse for these shoes to not be available if they really want them to be.
Read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Farr View Post
I'm lucky I get shoes from Nike and my contact said its the hottest selling shoe. Even employees of Nike and my NTC trainer friends been struggling to get them. Nike is the king of hype and as I was told they didn't anticipate the sell through. At all.
He is EXACTLY right. I have some sources on the inside and Nike had ZERO clue this thing was going to sell like it has. The factory time and materials are bought about 9 months out, so it's FAR too late to impact production of the current ones hitting the streets now. No, they will not "find" some materials and factory time just because of the high sell through. It doesn't work like that.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #262
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Read this:

He is EXACTLY right. I have some sources on the inside and Nike had ZERO clue this thing was going to sell like it has. The factory time and materials are bought about 9 months out, so it's FAR too late to impact production of the current ones hitting the streets now. No, they will not "find" some materials and factory time just because of the high sell through. It doesn't work like that.
If someone at Nike missed that bad they need to find another profession because they suck at the current one.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #263
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
If someone at Nike missed that bad they need to find another profession because they suck at the current one.
Let's put it this way, Nike only made as many as were ordered from their partners like Rogue, Finish Line, East Bay/Foot Locker, etc with a tiny, tiny bit for their own websites based on those numbers (usually a blind percentage that is applied).
Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #264
Snir Golan

Profile:

i just hope that my pre order from Road Runner will work and i will get my University Red never ordered from them before .
Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #265
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Disregard everything i said. I just went to Rogue's site and they had the Daring red in my size. Just placed the order.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #266
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Let's put it this way, Nike only made as many as were ordered from their partners like Rogue, Finish Line, East Bay/Foot Locker, etc with a tiny, tiny bit for their own websites based on those numbers (usually a blind percentage that is applied).
I can understand those guys missing that bad (except for Rogue). They haven't really been in the CrossFit game.

I still say Nike missed big time. They had to know demand was going to be bigger than what they prepared for. These are sales they won't get back for the most part. A lot of orders that would have been for the Metcon's will end up going to the Nano 5. People aren't going to wait around till the Metcon 2 comes out. And most don't buy every new pair that comes out. They buy a shoe, wear it for a couple of years, as long as it holds up, before buying something new.

All that said, I admit I don't know how the shoe industry works and maybe the companies completely rely on their retailers to drive demand/plan production of a new shoe. At the end of the day though it's Nike with the black eye and not Finishline or Foot Locker. That's probably not 100% fair but it is what it is.

At the end of the day Nike might not really care.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #267
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Disregard everything i said. I just went to Rogue's site and they had the Daring red in my size. Just placed the order.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #268
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Actually Jon, the retail world is very interesting. Been Retail Buying for 10 years now, and I can tell you that sometimes, companies have a miss. Those companies made one here.

No one will wait for the Met Con 2, but they will buy a pair of Nano 5's and then a pair of Met Con 2's when they come out. On average, a focused group like the Crossfit community buys shoes on average 4 times a year. Maybe you don't have a Nano in every color, but then there's the guy who own J5 Crossfit that has over 26 pairs of Nano's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nano collection.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	13832  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #269
Jason Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
i just hope that my pre order from Road Runner will work and i will get my University Red never ordered from them before .
Same here. (except different color) Road Runner said that they expect them to be in tomorrow (July 1) and then I should have them right after that.

So, apparently poking the UPS guy with a stick every time he stops by the office going "Where's my stuff?!" isn't necessarily helping. Who knew?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #270
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I am with Andrew on this one, most people I know that go to Crossfit affiliates own a pile of shoes, there are guys that own 5+ pairs of different Nanos, lifters etc.

I personally try and buy a pair per year and then train in them.

As an aside I have a pair of new black Retcons (the black/anthracite) in size 8 if anyone is looking, likely looking to sell as I also got a pair of the Daring Red and have no need for two pairs right now.