CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Jon Hanover

Profile:
Re: Going to the gym once a week or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
so you're going to outfit a home gym just to save $50 a month? Think about that for a minute. In a year you save $600. A good barbell, rack, and weights will cost you more than that.
bot not that much more

bar $250
bumpers $300
rack $400

close to a grand for a new setup and that doesn't include resale value or savings on gas/time etc
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Your best bet is to follow the WOD of the affiliate you go to that one time per week if you have your own garage setup that allows you to do most of the wods, and to modify if needed due to equipment limitations. You can also do benchmarks.

Also, to get the experience and some coaching, video yourself occasionally and show it to your coaches or here on the digital coaching section.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #13
Will Seavey

Profile:

I think you can definitely do it if you have the motivation. I would look into some home built equipment; I built a rack that is practically indestructible that meets my needs for ~$125. I'm not throwing around 500 lb squats, my goals are overall fitness not competitions.

The piece that I am still missing is a rower, which is a fairly big investment for 1 piece of equipment. At a home gym you can do more variety too, like tire flips that my local box doesn't do. I also have to be careful on doing olympic lifts, the coaching is really nice at the box.

I live in Maine, so I go to the box all winter while it's cold then move it home during the warmer months. I also drop in a few times a month.