CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #2391
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: Starting over with Starting Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
Great positive bunch of posts Patrick, some of your skiing sounds extreme, especially to someone who see's snow once every year for a day and the biggest hill around is 50m high.

Its a pity you guys did not get to do the so called bombing practice pre-race, those other people on the slopes sounded like your globo gym squat rack curlers, but the skiing version.
It's not fair to compare the globo gym squat rack curlers to the gapers on the slope. Those skiers are just there to have a good time. The squat rack curlers are trying to better themselves. Of course, the latter take themselves too seriously, and the former don't, so perhaps it's a wash.

The skiing Friday was a bit extreme by most folk's standards, but compared to Saturday's crowd, when MRG held it's Unconventional Terrain competition on their clift-strewn Lift Line, my skiing was a pale imitation. I watched a 10 year-old kid send a 10+foot cliff, followed by three successive smaller cliffs without missing a turn. The 20-something extreme skiers who showed up hoping for a placing that would send them onto other Freeskiing Tour events were going much bigger and throwing tricks into the mix. I didn't see much of it, because I had the kids on the comparitively tamer side of the hill, but the roars from the crowd told me that folks were getting after it.

Still, it's good to get out and ski some challenging terrain. I train largely to keep enough bounce in my step that I can continue to play like that (and so I can go on long tours to play at a somewhat more subdued version of that). My training hasn't been great, but the strength work never fails to help (whereas getting in tremendous aerobic shape can all go to waste, if work or mishap shuts me down for a couple weeks, like my strength training was). Now that winter has begun, I need to get out and do more of that.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2392
Christin Street

Profile:

Hello Patrick! I'm never on the boards anymore but logged on today to search my old Soccer Mom log for something. Your blogged popped up at the top so I thought I'd say hello. Hope your training is going well. Peace.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #2393
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

The back felt really good this morning. I've been waking-up somewhat stiff and not ready to lift, but however I slept last night agreed with it. The garage gym is in it's icy phase with regular precipitation, daytime melting, and evening refreeze. The warm days have cleared enough of it of it's icy coating to make it usable, although the squat rack is still embedded in a half-inch of ice, so the footing right there is no good. Still, it seemed a good day to see what a lower body workout would feel like.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Warmup

Jump rope 2 minutes - 22 DUs in a row in there, which is quite good for me
Heavy bag work 1 minute - hit it much better today, although my right side is still somewhat weaker than it should be
DROM

Weight Lifting
Lunge - BB in front rack 45x5 (each), 75x5, 125x5, 145x5, 165x3*

* Didn't quite stand-up last rep clean on either side and finished with a micro-squat. Still, that's more weight than I've moved like this before. It's good to find a limit weight that I can work.

Gymnastics
3 STC - back was not fond of this, so I stopped
Pushups 25x2

I stopped there to get my work day started, and so I could be sure that I had identified an exercise that I could do without causing further back issues.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #2394
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Man, you got me craving some downhill skiing Pat! I have no excuse, I'm a 2 hour drive to Flagstaff and another big mountain in Show Low. My wife is out of town in a couple weeks and I need to make a point to get out there.

That's great that you had the first day to yourself and then were able to enjoy the second with your family. Looks like your strength work has paid off.

Your garage gym sounds like some harsh conditions! I wasn't imagining ice on the squat rack
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #2395
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Yes, I though it was cold here in my gym, but no ice. Take a pic of your squat rack Pat please.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #2396
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
The long weekend warrior

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Race League

Showed-up late, no warmup, jumped onto a warmed over, rutted-up race course, universally declared the worst day of the year. Ruts were over a foot deep everywhere. On the first run, I got late in a gate, fell into the back seat, and got bounced out of the slushy bobsled run, careening toward the other side of the dual slalom. I managed to keep myself upright and out of my opponent's way, but it was a nasty surprise. My next run, the course was even worse, and when I got less dramatically bounced outside the rut, I bailed, knowing that my teammates had all done well enough early in the evening that my run wouldn't count anyways, even if I saved it. I took a couple runs outside the race couse, so the night wouldn't be a total waste, and then packed it in for the night, knowing I'd be skiing plenty the next few days.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #2397
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Friday, March 1, 2013

Play

Headed north with a friend to get in some powder skiing at Mad River Glen. We found some well used powder at the top of the hill, but halfway down things had warmed and re-frozen, leaving us a surface of styrofoam and death cookies. The groomers skied well, however, so we got in a series of top-of-the-mountain bump runs, followed by some very fast cruisers to the bottom. Around lunchtime, we decided to go exploring out-of-bounds for some powder and got ourselves off the beaten track. While we realized where we had taken a wrong turn early on, we had descended in the wrong direction far enough that our best option was to contour back around, side-stepping-up hill where we could to crest some mini-ridgelets. (Skiing downhill and hoping didn't seem like the best plan.) What followed was 2-hour bushwhack through some of the tightest trees you can imagine follwed by some tired turns back to the bar. It certainly was a good workout, poling along, grabbing onto trees, and alternately sidestepping uphill and down, but it definitely wasn't enjoyable and didn't give a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

Still, a bad day in the woods is better than another winter day spent indoors, so I'll keep the complaining to a minimum. The morning skiing was fun, and it wasn't like we wasted the perfect ski day with our misadventure.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #2398
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
The Good Race

Saturday, March 5, 2013

The Great Race is the big race at the end of the year for the top 30 of 100+ teams in the Wachusett race league. The winning teams are all stocked with former NCAA racers. The Good Race is for the next 30 teams, the best of which have a few ringers but mostly include skiers who are either reliving their high school days or, like me, picking-up a new way to enjoy the sport. Our team has climbed in the standings over the past 4 years, going from 59th to 48th, as we work ourselves toward the Great Race. The main appeal of the great race is that it's a steeper, faster, longer race, which is both more challenging and more exciting. I clearly have no business being in that race, but I'd have fun giving a whirl and would probably do no worse than on the shorter, flatter Good Race course. The Good Race course is an extended version of the weekly race course, where instead of a dual slalom on the steeper, lower part of the trail, it is a single course with more challenging turns and includes the flatter top part of the course. This puts a premium on choosing the right wax and getting a strong push at the start, but it also makes for some more challenging turns, and the day saw it's share of wrecks. Fortunately, nobody was carted away, but I saw two people tumble into the trees, so there were some close calls.

Warmup
Side-slip the race course twice to find the tricky turns.
Take two quick runs from the top to get acclimated to speed.
DROM while waiting for my start

The Race
A conservative approach had me leaving considerable time on the course. In fact, I was in the running for the "most scenic ride" award, which unfortunately was not an award for how fine I look in a skin suit . My second run was more aggressive and the result therefor somewhat less pathetic, but still not up to the standard I know I can meet, let alone the one I'd like to meet. I'd blame my gear, but the truth is that my gear is better than I am, and it's caused me some difficulty not being technically profiicient enough to get the most out of it. I may have to find a less demanding racing ski for next year.

Times on the lengthened course:
59+ seconds
56+ seconds

The winning times were in the 46-second range. Of the 80 men who raced, about 20 did better than 50 seconds per race. That's a tall ask for me, but I should be able to get much closer to that. As it was, I finished 63rd, which is better than my consecutive DNFs Thursday night, but not good enough to be of any use to my team. (The worst time got dropped.) Fortunately, the rest of the team did really well, and we finished 11th with 0.3 seconds over four ski runs separating us from 8th place.

One more night of racing, just for fun this time. After that, I need to figure out how to improve my speed on the course before next year rolls around.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2399
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
The Good Race

Saturday, March 5, 2013

The Great Race is the big race at the end of the year for the top 30 of 100+ teams in the Wachusett race league. The winning teams are all stocked with former NCAA racers. The Good Race is for the next 30 teams, the best of which have a few ringers but mostly include skiers who are either reliving their high school days or, like me, picking-up a new way to enjoy the sport. Our team has climbed in the standings over the past 4 years, going from 59th to 48th, as we work ourselves toward the Great Race. The main appeal of the great race is that it's a steeper, faster, longer race, which is both more challenging and more exciting. I clearly have no business being in that race, but I'd have fun giving a whirl and would probably do no worse than on the shorter, flatter Good Race course. The Good Race course is an extended version of the weekly race course, where instead of a dual slalom on the steeper, lower part of the trail, it is a single course with more challenging turns and includes the flatter top part of the course. This puts a premium on choosing the right wax and getting a strong push at the start, but it also makes for some more challenging turns, and the day saw it's share of wrecks. Fortunately, nobody was carted away, but I saw two people tumble into the trees, so there were some close calls.

Warmup

The Race
A conservative approach had me leaving considerable time on the course. In fact, I was in the running for the "most scenic ride" award, which unfortunately was not an award for how fine I look in a skin suit . My second run was more aggressive and the result therefor somewhat less pathetic, but still not up to the standard I know I can meet, let alone the one I'd like to meet. I'd blame my gear, but the truth is that my gear is better than I am, and it's caused me some difficulty not being technically profiicient enough to get the most out of it. I may have to find a less demanding racing ski for next year.

59+ seconds
56+ seconds

The winning times were in the 46-second range. Of the 80 men who raced, about 20 did better than 50 seconds per race. That's a tall ask for me, but I should be able to get much closer to that. As it was, I finished 63rd, which is better than my consecutive DNFs Thursday night, but not good enough to be of any use to my team. (The worst time got dropped.) Fortunately, the rest of the team did really well, and we finished 11th with 0.3 seconds over four ski runs separating us from 8th place.

One more night of racing, just for fun this time. After that, I need to figure out how to improve my speed on the course before next year rolls around.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2400
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Saturday, March 5, 2013

Warmup

The Race

59+ seconds
56+ seconds