CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Globo Gym Using CrossFit Box Name in their ads

Hey Folks,

I did a bit of searching and could not find anything that was relevant to what I am about to ask - if it has been discussed - please forward the link.

First, I own CrossFit SoNo. I use google ads to promote online. Recently however, a locally owned globo gym started using the CrossFit SoNo name over their ad to direct them to their site. Obviously I am contacting the gym owner to discuss (call has yet to be returned). However, I wanted to know if HQ has any stance on this considering the globo gym is not a CrossFit gym, does not have (to my knowledge) any CrossFit certified instructors, and lastly does not have free use of the name of my box.

Let me know if anyone else has had to deal with this matter. I am thinking that the end result would just be calling a lawyer for a cease and desist use of the company name.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Mark Ritchie

Profile:
Re: Globo Gym Using CrossFit Box Name in their ads

Email iptheft@crossfit.com (I think I have that right) as well as affiliate support. They'll take care of it and are pretty good about that sort of thing.

Since they own the trademark "CrossFit" they can enforce it.

Google might also have some ability to help with it as well, but I don't know about that.

Good luck & let us know what happens.

-Mark
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Alex Keller

Profile:

Chris,

I would also look into taking it up with Google. I know that you can claim trademark terms with them so that you have to give permission to other Adwords advertisers before they can use the term. The Adwords Support line is 1-866-246-6453. Give them a call and have your Client ID ready (found in the top corner of the page when you are in Adwords). They are usually very nice and helpful.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
David Wisniewski

Profile:  

The Lanham Act is your friend. Any decent copyright/trademark attorney should be able to get this sorted out for you.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Eric Dick

Profile:

I do Google Adwords and understand how trademarked terms work.

If you trademark your box name they can't use it in their ads, however there is nothing that prevents an advertiser from bidding on a trademarked term and having their ad appear.

Like coke can show their ad infront of people who search Pepsi - they just can't use "Pepsi" in their ad copy.

I would just do the same thing back to them and call it a day. I just Googled the popular email marketing software called Aweber and other providers are showing ads for the term "aweber."