CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Lee Browning

Profile:
Isolation, when is it necessary?

I've been doing Crossfit workouts for seven months(five at Crossfit Polaris with Marcus Hendren) and we did multiple workouts in a day. I was without a doubt getting stronger, but I left to go back home and save money for equipment here. I do 5x3, then 5x8 at 75% for strength twice a week for squats, presses, once for deadlift then 3 or 4 metcons a week. My question is when should I isolate muscles such as shrugs(for traps) to help my power clean and snatch, and should I do this type of stuff along with my other strength to get me where I need to be? I just turned 19 in August and Id like to compete in the games by 2017...would appreciate any input, sorry so long, pm if you can help!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Isolation, when is it necessary?

here is this for now maybe ill wait to put in my two cents before starting a new full on riot

WFS

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42094

plus glassman has some stuff on isolation in the crossfit journal just google search

Last edited by Blaise Davis : 09-05-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Isolation exercises have their place. The thing is to know why you're doing something. Wanting to build traps for size and strength is legit. I do neck harness work in order to strengthen a neck that has had injuries before.

Again, if you know the why of what you're doing, do it. Most of the things that you'll be doing in CF will be compound movements, which will strengthen your whole body. As you get stronger, you'll find areas where you are noticeably weaker, and you can put in the work to bring those areas up.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Lee Browning

Profile:

Reason I ask this is I know you don't get better at Cf by doing Cf at first. Rich froning did it for six months then competed, and placed 2nd. He's went on record saying he did "chest and tri, back and bi" routine before transferring over. And Marcus was even strong from Cornell football that's how it was easier for him to convert over. I don't mean to play a body building routine on you, I just want to be strong enough to compete. Looks like i might mirror power lifting/gymnast combo? I appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Careful not to confuse cause and effect.

Many early CrossFit competitors have crossed over from other sports/training and have been successful. The length of time they have been training at a high level has more to do with it then what they were doing.

Division I football, gymnastics, crew, track and so on. These folks have been training seriously often under great coaches from middle school. Anyone with genetic issues (too tall, too short, too thin and so on) has been weeded out by this time.

What you can learn from Froning?

His age, size and build is probably optimal for a male CrossFitter. 26/5'9"/195

He trains a lot and is able to recover

He stays healthy

He has an unbelievable ability to maintain excellent technique while fatigued. This keeps him super efficient. With two evenly matched competitors the most efficient wins.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Lee Browning

Profile:

I've thought about this once before...Now to pick your brain one last time, what would you say I do? Do my strength as I was, run distance once, sprint once, swim once, three to four metcons a week, get rings(this week) and work on my stabilizer muscles...Until I can afford equipment such as rowers and bumper plates?

I know it's a vague, and multiple questions in one, you seem very knowledgeable and I'm taking advantage while I can! Haha
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Nothing wrong with them, so long as they are relevant to your training goals, abilities, weaknesses, and needs.

Also if you just want to get slightly bigger guns, why not? Nothing wrong with a bit of pride in appearance, if that's your goal.