CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #781
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Monday morning and feeling really good. We are both well rested from the weekend. The wife actually ran 3km yesterday morning while i was working on some concrete foundation work on our summer house.

Plan for today - take it as far as you like

Warm up
60 cal row
pipe work

warm up as required for what was to come. Really making sure we were ready before we kicked things off.

12 min - Find your 1rm Clean & jerk

Wife - 30, 33, 35, 37, 38kgs/84lbs (90% of her 1rm)
Myself - 70, 75, 80, 90, 96kgs/211lbs (New pr by 1kg/2lbs)

We have not gone heavy for 5 months so it was time to push it a little. The wife felt solid but was carfull from the start. Next time she is going to increase the weight more between the lifts and go for it.
Myself, i changed my grip to overhand locking with my thumbs. Previously i never used my thumbs when i gripped the bar. So now with the thumbs locked in i felt so much more stable in the front rack position and in the jerk i felt so solid under the bar... great day for a PR.

rest 8min

12 min - Find your 1rm Bench press

Wife - 30, 35, 38, 40, 42kgs/92lbs (92% of her 1rm) 44kg/F
Myself - 80, 85, 91, 96, 101kgs/222lbs (96% of 1rm as master) 103kg/F

Wife's best bench for 6 months and my best weight for just over a year. We enjoyed this and just failed on the 2 final lifts, so close but so far.

rest 8min

12 min - Find your 1rm Deadlift

Wife - 65, 75, 80, 85, 90kgs/198lbs (97% of 1rm) PR attempt @94kgs/F
Myself - 135, 150, 160, 165, 170kgs/374lbs (97% of 1rm as master)

We both had a lot of fun with this and this was the best weights we have pulled in 3 years , we might be getting older but we still have it. Wife's 90kgs was easy, drove it really well from her heels. My 170 was solid, did not have time for any more lifts. We actually did the DL in our lifters as he did not bring any extra shoes with us which also made the lifts different.

Cool Down
clean up and stretch for 15min

great start to the week
Old 09-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #782
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeloing quite ok but sore in my shoulders and upper back, wife more or less has the same feeling. This was to be expected.

Something different today... i am having a person trainer session ands the wife is going to do her thing.

Warm up
1km row and shoulder mobility
No idea what the wife did

Wife:
Treadmill-
walk 5min
run 15min

Total distance - 2.85km (She told me she felt good on this.)

Leg presses, different lunges, other stability and accessory work in total around 20 sets x 10 reps.

Final - 4km row for time 19:53 (no straps)

Myself
So i need some progression in 2 movements, butterfly pull-ups/C2B and kipping HSPU. Solution = to have a session with a really good crossfitter.

Its not as if i do not know what they are but i need to work on small areas to be able to do them.

Butterfly pull ups - we did multiple rountines to get the feel of things and be able to see if they are possible with a great technique. The reason i have not bothered to do these in th epast is that i feel that it is important to have the strength in the shoulders/lats to be able to perform these properly. I do not want to get injured so muscle balance is quite important. At the end i was quite pleased with the result but need to practice these but now i have a solution.

Kipping HSPU - the hard thing form me is shoulder mobility in the HS position. Multiple routines and tests to see what i can and cannot do. I was quite rusty this morning and i was not smooth in getting into the HS position. I really need to work on this and start to try and improve getting vertical from a standing position. At the moment i start with my hands on the floor and i use way to much energy to get vertical which also means i push my body forward rather than vertical. practice will also help my positioning on my hands. We did some kipping from a higher position which was weird and will take time to get used to.

After 50min on these movements my shoulders were shot!!!!!!!!!

Final: 4km row for time - 15.58 (no problem keeping this pace at all)

Cool down
stretch and sweat for 20min
Old 09-13-2018, 03:52 AM   #783
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and both of us are feeling well rested. Wife was in a great mood this morning and cracking jokes at 05.15

So last night i came up with a new idea for a partner workout. I wrote down a mass of movements, the wife did not get to see any of this. I then asked the wife to chose between Time, Number or Distance. So i then put the pen on a movement and the wife chose one of them, next, next and so on until they were all complete. Only 2 of them could possibly be distance but she did not know that.

Once i knew what was what i proceeded to program everything but also plan a good flow between them and variation, focus on different things. This was based on a partner workout, short and sweet where you go 100% from the start. Alternate, rotate as needed but everything must be planned before we start each WOD, for example if you go rep count, time, or distance before the handover.

Warm up
1km on the rower
pipe work some light mobility work
general warm up of the whole body in preperation for what was to come.

Time, Number, Distance
Number - Push ups - 60 reps just get them done

Nice and simple i did 10s and the wife 5s

Time - Du/Su - 3min AMRAP = result wife 298 Su/myself 106 Du

Planned to tell each other when it was time to rotate but if we messed up the other had to be ready to jump strait away. I did 40 du unbroken, wife did loads of Su's, i decided to go unbroken as far as i could but leave 30-35 seconds for the wife, i trip at 66 unbroken and the wife just repped the rest of the time.

Distance - Ski-erg - 2min for meters = result 506 meters

wife did 30 seconds, i did 1 min and the wife the remaining 30... we were pleased with that.

Time - Box jumps 24/20" - tabata = result myself 38 reps, wife 32.

Wife did really well on these and jumped rally well, normally she is very careful. we took turns on each 20 seconds thus getting 30 seconds rest between the workload.

Number - T2N/K2C - 10 x 10 rounds, just get them done

Wife unbroken, i did sets of 5

Number - Burpees 40reps - for time = result 2:23

Just go as far as we can, we did sets of 5.

Time - Row - 3min for Calories = result 54 calories (no straps)

We rotated every 45 seconds, felt good but hard with no straps.

Time - wallballs 6/9kgs - can we complete 50 in 2min = result yes we can.. 1.32

sets of 10,10 & 5. no problem what so ever, just give it hell.

Time - Kb Swings 12/20kgs - 100 reps for time = result 2:55

sets of 10, quick as hell, felt the grip at the end.

It was a lot of fun today, we put plans together before we started and kept to them. This was full on 100% on everything which also gave a good measurement of how quickly our heart rate lowered before it was time to start again. Full control the whole time from both of us.

Cool down
cool down, chat and stretch for 20min

great start to the day
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #784
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning and feeling good but both of us were tired. We work out at a globo but this also acts as a one of the Eleiko's traning facilities so the equipement is great. At the moment they are building and improving 2 working areas in total 5000sq/ft which means it is a little chaotic at the moment.

Last night i didn't really have any ideas for anything this morning. Wife wanted to do somthing that was 35-40min long, wife had a couple of ideas for movements so i took note. So this morning at the gym we put something together on the wipeboard.

When we got into the gym i noticed a couple of new rowers... so i nabbed one strait away, what a difference compared to the old ones .

Warm up
600m jog nice and easy
general all round warm up and preapare for what was to come.
test new rower and set the drag
Dry run to get a rough guess of how long a round would take.

Due to the length of what was next we did not have to warm up that long, all in all 15min.

It's a long one Partner workout

40 min row for calories

@ the same time complete AMRAP

2 - ground 2 over shoulder with medball (23kg/50lb for the wife, 40kg/88lb for myself)
1 - rope climb for myself, rope hold for the wife
2 - lengths of gym, 1 arm KB OH farmers walk 12/20kgs
10 - sit ups

Result - 511 calories (or 8722meters) & we completed 23 rounds + 3 reps

Based on the warm up i was thinking if we were lucky to complete 15 rounds. The wife was a little slower than i was as she is still gaining confidence when locking her feet in the rope and standing up.
Today this was not the case, wife did really well on the rope and was quick. Round times were around 1.35 for me and 1.45/50 for the wife. We would lose a little time in the transition to and from the rower so after the first round each we decided to complete 2 rounds before rotating.

The row went well with an average of 12.7 cals/min over the 40min. We had no idea at all how many cals we would get... over 400 was not a problem, just how many more could we get.

Cool Down
Clean up our mess
stretch and chat for 20min

great end to the week
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #785
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

2.2 lbs on the C and J pr! Way to go Alex
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 09-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #786
Alex Burden

Profile:

Cheers Vic.... getting close to that 100kg mark.

Monday morning and both of us were tired. We have both been doing a lot of things around the house and i have been building a new roof in the garage for the entrance to our summer house.

Plan for today - nice and simple

Warm up
1km on the rower
PVC pipe work
mobility and warm up with what was to come

i would say 25min in total.

Plan
Find your 1RM OHS

once completed

1 set unbroken OHS - AMRAP @ 50% of your 1RM

Wife: 10, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26kgs/57lbs (93% of her 1RM)
1 set @ 13kgs = 32 reps

Myself: 20, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 84kgs/185lbs (97% of my 1RM)
1 set @ 42kgs = 33 reps

So we were in no rush today. We took our time as is has been a while since we did some heavy OHS. From the start the bar felt heavy and it took a good 20min before we settled in and things felt ok. The first 2 weights for both of us were the warm up and we did multiple sets of 5 reps.

So after around 45min or so we were done with our 1RM and it was time for that 1 set unbroken OHS. Wife went first and was really solid from the start but somewhere towards the end she lost count so she was unsure if it was 32 or 33 reps. The reason she dropped the weight was that her left shoulder was really tired at the end, but a great set.
For myself i started strong, little fast so i slowed my pace and took in more air at the top. The weight felt good but my wrists were hurting at the end so i completed 33, just to **** the wife off , if i had piushed it i think i could have got a couple more but the pain was not worth it, very pleased with that.

We were both pleased with the numbers today and % wise we were close to our PB's for a 1RM OHS.

Cool down
clean up and stretch for 20min.

Does not seem like a lot today but it was tough but a lot of fun
Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #787
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and the wife was really tired this morning, took a good 20min for her get out of that zombie state .

So today we are doing different things, wife will workout by herself and i am working on my butterfly pull ups and HSPU with Richie the crossfitter who is also a CF L1 instructor and personal trainer oh and a bloody good crossfitter.

Warm up
Wife did rowing, pipe work oand other stuff to get ready for what she had planned.

I jogged for a while, got my shoulders really warmed up and my back ready for what was to come.

Wife:
Fight Gone Bad

3 rounds of:

1min - wall balls 6kg
1min - box jumps 20"
1min - sumo DL high pulls 25kgs
1min - push press 25kgs
1min row - for calories
1min rest

Score = 217 (first time RX)

I am not sure if you can call this a fight gone bad or a WOD gone bad. The reason for this was that she smashed her shin on the first round of box jumps, so she lost time there because that hurt.
There was so much time time between the row that the damn thing would turn off so she lost time having to get that going and on top of that the clock we set up did not peep every minute so she ran short of time looking at the clock rather than waiting for the last 3 peeps of a minute. She was ****ed off after that.

i could give her any feed back as i was into my thing at that time.

She finished off with:
4min ski erg
5min row
5x5 ring pulls

Myself
so i am working on the pull ups and HSPU at the same time for 1hr with Richie.

New drills for butterfly pull ups. We did a few things to add onto last week and the goal was to keep tight and complete 3 unbroken at the end.

The drills and watching him made things so much easier for me. In the end i hit 3 unbroken Butterfly pullups no problem. Technique was was better as now i understand what i need to do.

Use my legs and drive them, chest is now level with bar and on the way down brake slightly with my arms. This took the weight off my shoulders and helped me get my legs in the right position at the right time without stressing at the bottom and boom do it again. Going to work on these every week before we start our workouts.

HSPU - my problem has been i have been close to the wall and i can't get in that hollow position. So Richie had me working on drills when i kick up so that i used my legs for vertical force rather than today i would almost role into the wall shoulders/back first.
This was very new to me and he showed me how important the head position was in the start, how to try and keep myself off the wall and touch it with my foot first. We did this over and over and over again, frustrating at times and then it got better.
So based on the drills i also need to work on the position to the wall and getting vertical, i was very pleased with the progress and i am aware it will take time.

He did tell me that once i have craked that part the HSPU and kipping HSPU will become a lot easier. At the moment i can only do strict HSPU's

Cool down
sweat and stretch with the wife for 20min
Old 09-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #788
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and we were both quite tired. My shoulders and back were still sore from Tuesday plus i play a round of golf yesterday so that didn't help. I had a few ideas to try some old stuff but right at the last minute the wife and i agreed to something that would not kill us.

Plan: 1min = Can U or Can U beat me

So the idea was we took turns in choosing a movement, you also got to chose if you set up a goal or something which was "Can U" or it was head to head "Can U beat me", everything was for 1 minute.

Round 1 - wife's choice - Sit ups - Can U Beat me
Wife - 24
Myself - 25

This was a close one but i just made sure i was 1 ahead of her.

Round 2 - my choice - Row - Can U - complete 15/20 cal
Wife - yes - 47 seconds for 15 cals
Myself - yes - 32 seconds for 20 cals

Increase the drag and go for it, i was surprised it when so fast, wife was solid and pleased with her time.

Round 3 - joint choice - Power snatch - Can U Beat me
Wife - 15kgs - 20 reps
Myself - 30kgs - 24 reps

Tngo and don't let the bar go. I could hear her bar hit bar bounce off the floor so i kept ahead and went for it as this is what i need to work on. Wife kept the same pace the full minute, a little dissapointed i beat her again.

Round 4 - my choice - bar facing, burpees over the bar - Can U - complete 8/12
Wife - yes - 40 seconds
Myself - yes - 44 seconds

We had the barbell so i thought why not. Wife is not that good at burpees but when she puts her game head on she goes for it. We both found them easier on the new floor in the gym that Eleiko put down last week.

Round 5 - wife's choice - wall balls - Can U Beat me
Wife - 6kgs - 29
Myself - 10kgs - 31

We both know we are good at these and i need to move faster due to the 1 ft difference in the height of the target. I started off quicker than the wife on the first rep and then it was full on, i had no idea where the wife was, we just had to wait for the result. very close on this one.. clock ticked over for her on the 30th rep

Round 6 - my choice - Du/Su - Can U - complete 60/120 unbroken
Wife - yes - 49 seconds
Myself - No! F!!!! - 59reps

Oh am i am a bloody idiot and the wife wrote IDIOT on the wipeboard after we were done. Before we started the wife said this should not be a problem if we are smart and don't rush it. The important thing was not to mess up because if you fail towards the end of the set you won't have time to repeat it and complete it.
3.2.1 go, wife is calm and collected as she is really good at single unders, boxing style and bounces light an inch or so off the ground... now i still want to beat her even if the goal is to get it done. So i hit 50 nice and easy, 10 left put some speed into it because i was thinking 60 in 30 seconds... what do i do FCK up on the final rep.. what an idiot and boy did the wife trash talk me after that, she gave me hell... i should of just completed the damn thing, not enough time to repeat either.... IDIOT

Round 7 - Wife's choice - 1 arm KB OH farmer walk - Can U - complete 6 lengths of the gym (1 length = 15m), must change arm after each round
Wife 12kgs - no - 5 lengths
Myself 20kgs - no - 5 lengths + 3 meters

This was a good one as you have to change arms after each length but the KB must hit the floor at the end. Even if we were fast at the change over it was tough to walk that fast. Both really enjoyed that one.

Round 8 - my choice - Power clean - Can U beat me
Wife 25kgs - 20 reps
Myself - 50kgs - 21 reps

I know the wife is good at these and she can TnGo these for a minute. My plan was to go singles and the final 20 seconds just grip it and rip it TnGo. 3.2.1 go... i can hear the wife touch and go but my singles are fast, i am keeing up with her.. the bar would bounce and i would push it to the ground and without looking but feeling the grip just pull it again.. I think th ewife caught up with me and past me.. she is still moving... 20 seconds left, do not drop the bar... i am going for it... we had no idea who got what. Walked to the wipeboard and put the number 2 next to my name... she said ****... also wrote the number 2 next to her name... i added the nr 1 and she burst out SHT and added a zero to her result. i beat her by 1. She then told me she took a minimum rest of 1-2 seconds after about 45 seconds and that made all the difference.

Cool Down
stretch for 20min

today was a lot of fun, really enjoyed it
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #789
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning ...... tired but feeling good.

Plan - Partner

Warm up
1km on the rower
600m jog
pipe work

mobility and warm up with what was to come.

Partner - no rush

60 T2B/K2C
60 KB Deadlifts - 40/20kg kettlebells 88lb/44lb

40 Box jumps 24/20"
40 Thrusters 50/25kgs (110lbs/55lbs)

20 Wall walks/box holds (5 second hold)
20 Rope climbs/rope holds

When i put this together it did not seem like a lot but it did it's job. We split the load 50/50. Sets of 10 for the rounds of 60, 5's for the 40's and singles for the final rounds of 20.We did the movements in pairs as above.

T2B/K2C and deadlifts were not a problem, good solid movements and i was pleased to go unbroken. Wife Always goes unbroken on K2C and the Dl were just the right weight to pressure her.

Box jumps and thrusters. box jumps easy. I hate thrusters and we should do them more. I Always seem to feel it in my left knee after a lot of them, going to build on these again.

I knew the final movements would be tough for the wife but it worked out well. She was so stable on the box holds and she is getting used to being upside down, plus her shoulders can handle the stress. I got nice and close to the wall on the walks, no trouble there.

Rope climbs are no problem for me, grip felt good. The wife has really improved her rope holds, she jumps, locks the rope in and stands. She knows not to rush her feet and she will be fine. Once we were done she actually tried to climb the rope with 1 extra pull and she did it 3 times. Her problem is that she needs to gain confidence in getting higher on the rope and this will come over time, i am pleased we can add this to our training.

Cool Down
a good stretch for 20min

That was that for this week. Taking a few days off next week, R&R of the body.