CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #171
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Westside doesn't work for raw, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
I was waiting for this argument. Maybe you didn't read anything else I wrote. When a Toyota whatever the heck races other cars, are they similar? When pro golfers play against each other do they all use similar technology? I'll just answer that for you. Yes. I don't give a crap who wins an spf meet. I care when they set a record against other lifters who lift in legit federations that follow the rules of the sport. Maybe you will understand this analogy. I just set the world record in the 100 meters. I beat Usain Bolt by 1.31 seconds. Of course I had springs on my shoes and I only ran 79 meters, but that was the standard at that meet, and I had access to the latest technology. Still a world record. I can claim I am the best right? I am just flabbergasted that some of you guys don't understand this simple concept. Cheating is bad.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...IGgAQ#imgdii=_

WFS, and use any of these.

The fact is Golfers could use clubs made in 1980 however they choose to use the latest in technology as it will assist their game the most. Same applies for every other sport yet you seem to be saying that those federations who choose not to use the best equipment are somehow better than those who choose not to get stuck in the past.

Dont like watching geared powerliftng? Dont watch geared powerlifting. Simple.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #172
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
And how is that Westsides fault? Why don't you put it on the federations to all get together and come up with unified rules? Someone on BB.com actually posted the rules from every federation and they are t all the same as far as squat depth.
The rules are written the same but if you have ever seen a meet that Westside lifters compete in, it will be obvious that those rules are just for show. Rules don't mean much when the judges don't require you to follow them. Watch any SPF meet on YouTube and get back to me about what you see. If you read my earlier posts I said how they are involved. When one of your lifters (who was banned for cheating) is about to set a world record, you should not be the head judge.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #173
Andrew Bell

Profile:

But does the westside (conjugate) theory work for getting stronger without gear?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #174
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...IGgAQ#imgdii=_

WFS, and use any of these.

The fact is Golfers could use clubs made in 1980 however they choose to use the latest in technology as it will assist their game the most. Same applies for every other sport yet you seem to be saying that those federations who choose not to use the best equipment are somehow better than those who choose not to get stuck in the past.

Dont like watching geared powerliftng? Dont watch geared powerlifting. Simple.
Did you read anything that I wrote? I am trying to figure out if you are kidding or not.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #175
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
But does the westside (conjugate) theory work for getting stronger without gear?
Wait for it.......

Yes. Good call.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #176
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Andrew, did you just bring us back to the original topic and point? How DARE you sir!

And nice point!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #177
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
The rules are written the same but if you have ever seen a meet that Westside lifters compete in, it will be obvious that those rules are just for show. Rules don't mean much when the judges don't require you to follow them. Watch any SPF meet on YouTube and get back to me about what you see. If you read my earlier posts I said how they are involved. When one of your lifters (who was banned for cheating) is about to set a world record, you should not be the head judge.
No they are not written the same. Unfortunately I can find the thread on BB.com that showed all of the different rules.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #178
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Wait for it.......

Yes. Good call.

/end thread
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #179
David Meverden

Profile:

Man, I leave and you have to get in a big spat about gear? For what, the hundredth time?

Well, I can't leave well enough alone, either, since I'll respond to a post like 10 pages ago . . .
Quote:
I usually agree with 100% of the things you post David but here I disagree. I only squat like that; no belt, no wraps, no spotter, and atg with the bounce at the bottom every time. My knees often come in because that's just how I'm built.

In weightlifting it really doesn't matter if the knees come in, perfect example:
http://youtu.be/-o3cP3pAFrU?t=42m10s (wfs)
My point (which Chris was also making) is just that these kinds of squats, where the depth and forward knee position takes a lot of hamstring function out at the bottom (and especially squats where you allow the knees to come way in just to make a lift), are a lot harder on the joints than a merely parallel lower bar position squat with the knees out, so if you aren't going to be a competitive O-lifter I don't think you should do these very often. Just no call to rack up the extra wear and tear.

I kind of think of them like butterfly kipping pullups: something that can be done safely by many people, but that are potentially harmful to others and are totally unnecessary if you don't plan to compete in CrossFit.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #180
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Man, I leave and you have to get in a big spat about gear? For what, the hundredth time?

Well, I can't leave well enough alone, either, since I'll respond to a post like 10 pages ago . . .

My point (which Chris was also making) is just that these kinds of squats, where the depth and forward knee position takes a lot of hamstring function out at the bottom (and especially squats where you allow the knees to come way in just to make a lift), are a lot harder on the joints than a merely parallel lower bar position squat with the knees out, so if you aren't going to be a competitive O-lifter I don't think you should do these very often. Just no call to rack up the extra wear and tear.

I kind of think of them like butterfly kipping pullups: something that can be done safely by many people, but that are potentially harmful to others and are totally unnecessary if you don't plan to compete in CrossFit.
It may be true, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find good evidence to support your claim that ATG Squats are safer than Parallel Squats, provided the person has adequate flexibility.