CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
Saturated Fat: How much is too much?

So I've been trying to gain weight for the past several months now while additionally trying to increase my body fat percentage big time. A few months ago my body fat was legitimately at a dangerously low level (about 2%... Disgusting I know).

As a result, Ive been eating everything in sight and really working on that body fat. Obviously doing CrossFit can prevent that, so I've scaled back with that as well.

Anyways, I have been using MyFitnessPal to keep track of my food intake and ensure I'm getting enough calories in each day. I was wondering if eating too much fat would be a bad thing... I've been adding coconut oil to almost every meal, chugging whole milk like its my job, and devouring foods high in calories and fat. The past week I was looking over my summary and saw that 5 of the 7 days consisted of over 50 grams of saturated fat.

Obviously I'm trying to gain more weight and increase that body fat and it's been working, but I was wondering if it's dangerous to be eating such a high level of saturated fats each day.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Saturated Fat: How much is too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beuttenmuller View Post
I was wondering if it's dangerous to be eating such a high level of saturated fats each day.
Diets high in saturated fat are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease so current advice is that intake should be kept as low as possible while consuming a nutritionally adequate diet and should not exceed 10% of total daily energy intake.

American Heart Association My Fats Translator.

FAO.org - Fats and Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition.

Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Dietary Fatty Acids.

*All links wfs*
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I won't bother posting the numerous studies pointing out that there seems to be no correlation between saturated fats and heart disease, but the OP can do some research, especially papers in the last couple of years.

Instead of looking at the grams of saturated fat consumed, look at the percentage of fats consumed from saturated fats. What is that number?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Stephanie Arseneault

Profile:

Read this : Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease

"Forget the "science" that has been drummed into your head for decades. The science that saturated fat alone causes heart disease is non-existent. The science that saturated fat raises blood cholesterol is also very weak. Since we now know that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, the concern about saturated fat is even more absurd today."
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

Yesterday as an example I had 4,455 calories logged and 165 g of fat, 52 of which were saturated. I think I need to cut back on it despite trying to gain weight and body fat... Too much of anything is never good if ya ask me
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beuttenmuller View Post
Yesterday as an example I had 4,455 calories logged and 165 g of fat, 52 of which were saturated. I think I need to cut back on it despite trying to gain weight and body fat... Too much of anything is never good if ya ask me
How many calories did you burn yesterday?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

Not sure. Did some power clean work and then a WOD that took around 10:00 that was pretty tough
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

The recommendation is 10% or less of your calories and you (by my phone's calculations) are at 10.5%. I am sure you are fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
The recommendation is 10% or less of your calories and you (by my phone's calculations) are at 10.5%. I am sure you are fine.
Good point, although I think that 10% assumes the person is eating at maintenance. If his maintenance is 2400, then it's closer to 20%.
Also not neccessary to eat more than 20% over maintenance to bulk up.

Coconut is not treated the same as most long chain saturated fats. About half of its fat is medium chain and is metabolized more like a carbohydrate.
So if you're having a saturated fat, that is probably not going to as much of a problem.

How did you measure your body fat? Can you post a photo? What is your height and weight? Do you know your maintenance calories?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

WHen I got my body fat done it was done in one of those water submersion tank things that are apparently the most accurate method you can do...at least that's what I was told (99.9% accurate and all). The doctor who performed it made me do it like three times too because she was petrified by the results...understandably so.

At that time, I weighed 125 (this was January 2012). As of now, I'm up to 155 but have no idea what my body fat is...but it's definitely higher. Also, I'm about 5'10 or 5'11 and according to that same doctor, my maintenance calories were around 2,800. Currently, I'm taking about 4,500 a day.