CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
John Janecek

Profile:
My Troy Bumpers are worthless....

I'm the coach that posted this thread on Pendley.

All 44 25lb bumpers are shot.

89 of the 96 45lb bumpers are eroding at the rubber rim and I can move the metal insert with my fingers-never had this happen in 22 years of strength coaching in college and HS.

Took Delivery of the bumpers in may 2011 and made my video and emailed it to Ken Mohlee at Troy Bumper on 5/31/12. He said this was odd and he was turning it over to his claims dept. The warranty is for one year and I was never told we were out of the warranty but later found out they started the warranty when we PURCHASED THEM not when they were delivered so I guess you don't even get to use Troy bumpers and the warranty clock is ticking-I guess thats fair right....????

I told him it sure was odd and I've never had bumpers fall apart like this, especially 45's. I didn't hear back for awhile and after my third email to him asking for a reply and an update he started the email to me with "This is between Troy bumper and Tim (the vendor who set up our wtroom)"

What? Did I just get scolded and told to butt out? He did ask me in that same email to go out in the wtroom though and make an exact count of the almost 200 bumpers for the defective ones, but its not my concern now...???

Anyway, you can read the rest of the thread on Pendley....

To Lincoln , how ya doing stranger? This is John Janecek! I agree with you these are lower priced bumpers and when I was a strength coach in college for ten years we always bought Eleiko/Mavrik type bumpers and never have problems but in High Schools you have a fraction of the budget so the $15,000 my school spent (before I was hired by the way) was for enough Troy bumpers to outfit 22 platforms (I walked into this brand new wtroom last June that had only been open two weeks before i started using the bumpers and showing the kids the olifts). I have used Kraiburgs/Wright/Hi-Temp for the last ten years while working in Texas in high school strength programs and have NEVER had the problems I have with these Troys....I'll take ANYTHING in place of them, they are horrible..

When I was head strength coach at UAlbany NY in 1994-99 I had ten platforms and spent all my budget money on Elieko bars and only had enought left for Kraiburg bumpers-never replaced one on five years there and had kids dropping 350+lb cleans on the ground...

And no, I didn't use any type of cleaning solution on them to make them erode, I've never washed a bumper plate.........

Like I said in the original post on pendley, your free to buy what you want but I know I'll never do business with these people again and would never consider these for any gym or even my garage...

My garage plates? I have 3 pairs of 20 year old 35lb Bumper USA's that are still going strong, 400+lbs of 7 year old Kraiburgs that still look new...

I brought two pair of 10lb BFS bumpers with me that are over ten years old and they are still going strong in the same room these 12 month old Troys are wasting away in....

My last coaching position I was at we bought all Kraiburgs in 2004 and I was there till 2011 and we only repaced 5 pairs of 25's in those seven years and that was with close to 300 kids a day using them....

Never again Troy, never again...

One last thing, Tim Marshall with Gymini/Wilder Fitness is saving our butts and getting me replacments soon-not sure what kind yet (he is the one who setup our wtroom, you can see it on their website at Wilder Fitness, longview HS)....If your in the Texas area give him a call for equipment-I've been buying from him for ten years now and won't deal with anyone else.....

John Janecek
Head Strength Coach
Longview HS
Longview TX

Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: My Troy Bumpers are worthless....

Man that's sad... Good luck with the resolution...

Glad I bought my rogue and not those...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I was going to mention that someone on SS was talking about bad expereince with Troy and then I noticed the name...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
To Lincoln , how ya doing stranger? This is John Janecek!
Dude! Good to hear from you! and in such detail!

If anyone is somewhere between Dallas, TX and Shreveport, LA then Janacek is a go-to guy for liftin...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
John Janecek

Profile:

Thanks Lincoln!

If you stop by you might need to bring your own bumpers-ha!!

Did I mention Troy Bumpers are worthless?????

I'm on a mission to spread the word about these guys, feel free to copy/paste and circulate this to ANY other forum you can think of....Anything in Texas that involves football/coaches would be good, hint hint...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Adam Will

Profile:

What about the standard Troy VTX? (non locking). I have heard nothing but good things from everyone who uses them. A lot of guys actually prefer tem to the Hi-temps due to much less bounce. Do you have any experience with them? The reason I ask is that I will be purchasing bumpers for garage in the next few weeks an I'm on a budget.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Sorry to hear that. I read about it on Rip's board and decided to post it here. Hope you don't mind.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
John Janecek

Profile:

Not at all, post this ANYWHERE you want!!!!!

Aboout the VTX's, I have a feeling I'm getting them for replacements and if so I'll give an update in a few months-I'm lucky enough my vendor is helping us out so i can't be picky...Hope they are good like you heard..

You know I can live with getting a "bad batch" of bumpers and really thought Troy would go out of their way to keep this quiet and replace them quickly but they could really care less....

This is without a doubt the worst possible customer service I've ever recieved in my 22 years of strength coaching.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Sorry to hear that. I read about it on Rip's board and decided to post it here. Hope you don't mind.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
Not at all, post this ANYWHERE you want!!!!!

Aboout the VTX's, I have a feeling I'm getting them for replacements and if so I'll give an update in a few months-I'm lucky enough my vendor is helping us out so i can't be picky...Hope they are good like you heard..

You know I can live with getting a "bad batch" of bumpers and really thought Troy would go out of their way to keep this quiet and replace them quickly but they could really care less....

This is without a doubt the worst possible customer service I've ever recieved in my 22 years of strength coaching.....
Glad to hear there are replacements coming, and I agree about the customer service. They could have gotten to the same endpoint without hundreds of other people reading about their poor service and crappy bumpers.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
John Janecek

Profile:

Yep, I'm counting on THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS reading this...

I think Rips site (or was it pendlays or footballscoop or??) has over 3,000 views...

Spread the word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Glad to hear there are replacements coming, and I agree about the customer service. They could have gotten to the same endpoint without hundreds of other people reading about their poor service and crappy bumpers.

Closed Thread