CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #111
Drew Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
There's no doubt in my mind she'll try to ruin crossfit with what ever sale she intends to do now. Sorry for you're loss and i hope youre back up and running.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #112
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Disclaimer: I have not read through this whole thread. I am just assuming the general philosophy has been "omg the profit-mungering VC firms are trying to take us over and make us globo gyms!!"

A few things:
1. Based on the affiliate agreements that I read a few years ago and the nature of being an affiliate, it is very unlikely that CrossFitHQ could have much control over your individual gym. This would cause affiliates to be considered franchises and would extend liability in courts to CFHQ, which I am sure is a major concern. They can't convert you to affiliates to franchises without your consent -- it would require a new contract.
2. Just because these guys want to make profit does not mean that they are going to exploit the system. For one, CF has been very profitable for awhile by not being a globo gym. It's pretty crazy to think that they would drastically change a proven business model, even if they could. They will probably offer some ideas from time to time, but these will probably be well-informed ideas. (This said, I have noticed that some gyms have moved from being full of hard-working, loud metal music CF's to everybody is happy and hugging and encouraging encouraging encouraging and playing the name game before workouts).
3. I have obviously not seen any of the CF internal agreements, but (most likely) with only 50% ownership, they will need to work with Greg to elect members of the board (who, in turn, elect the CEO and other officers). If they don't work with Greg, then he will just leave and start his own business, in which case the VC firm has a value-less business. This doesn't work for them. So, they will keep Greg as CEO unless he wants to give it to someone else. Point being that, even if they are only profit-focused, they are going to need to give in to Greg's vision (which they probably already accept).

So, I don't think it's much of a threat... but if Greg walks away from CF HQ, then I am sure the affiliates will follow him..

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 07-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #113
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
I have some important news for you. Anthos Capital wants to take control of the CrossFit affiliate system.
How will they do this? What percentage of CF will Anthos own?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #114
Pär Larsson

Profile:

If Anthos succeeds I'm not sure I'd really want to continue to be associated with the brand "CrossFit". Maybe just build a new brand called "CrossGreg"?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #115
Chris Mason

Profile:

From what I have seen Glassman's ex's 50%.

I personally stand behind Glassman and his crew. I am not an affiliate, but I would be very concerned about this sale if I were one. I like Glassman's statement and wish him and the gang the best of luck in doing what needs to be done.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #116
Scott Hunter

Profile:

Considering how many millions of dollars are changing hand, it would be foolish to assume Anthos didn't anticipate a huge push back from HQ and the affiliate community. I'm thinking they figure the only way to get affiliates to at least consider their ideas is by allowing affiliates to share in the profits. If these guys had half a brain they must have had scores of confidential conversations with big-name affiliate owners to take their temperatures. Affiliates have an opportunity to organize and mobilize into one voice that can determine the outcome. If Anthos is so concerned with preserving what's so great about CF, they should immediately sell 1% of their shares to Coach, giving him 51% - majority control. That would be proof of their intent to remain passive...
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #117
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Berger View Post
John,

Also, I think you should think through the proposition in that quote you provided. The CrossFit Affiliate system, which is based on the freedom and independence of Affiliates who are allies in spirit and yet almost all diverge in approach, method, and business model, would be just as threatened by your proposition as any other interest looking for standardization and control (external and internal alike). CrossFit will not allow this, and will fight to preserve the model that has brought us such success.
Russell,

I completely understand. My statement was only meant to help. What I meant is if it is a money issue I'm sure crossfitters and affiliate owners would much rather see the help come from within. I personally love how everything is currently set up and would be very sadden to see anything change.

John
Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #118
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  

All,
I believe you have already seen my response to these claims as well as Anthos'. My only comment for the affiliate community, at this point, is to contact Mr Kelly of Anthos and talk to him. Form your own opinion, not one built on spin and self interest.

Much love, respect, and admiration,

Lauren Jenai Glassman
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #119
Corey Linhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Glassman View Post
All,
I believe you have already seen my response to these claims as well as Anthos'. My only comment for the affiliate community, at this point, is to contact Mr Kelly of Anthos and talk to him. Form your own opinion, not one built on spin and self interest.

Much love, respect, and admiration,

Lauren Jenai Glassman
Forgive my ignorance here...

Isn't venture capitalism all about "spin and self interest?" Make as much money as possible, and NOT for us, as Affiliates?

Leave us out of your spat with Greg. Do the right thing, and don't F us over.

I will say this as nicely as possible:

They == Anthos

They are attempting the blood squeezing approach. Everything that's come out so far is NOT in your favor. Who are we to believe? Someone who has never led us astray? Or someone who starts her public statement with "I filed for divorce..." -- That doesn't sound the least bit bitter to you?
They THINK that will make them more money.

Know what will really happen?

It will alienate current and future affiliiates and customers having garbage products and services pushed upon them. This WILL result in long term business and brand corruption. Mark my words.

Has anyone told you this, since VC firms never actually KNOW a damn thing about that they invest in? So Mr. Kelly has been CrossFitting for 2 years? Is that suppose to impress me, and somehow negate the very thing that VC companies stand for?

If given no other choice, or a single word of my agreement with CrossFit, Inc. is changed, I will drop my affiliation faster than you can blink.

Last edited by Corey Linhart : 07-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #120
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Linhart View Post
Forgive my ignorance here...

Isn't venture capitalism all about "spin and self interest?" Make as much money as possible, and NOT for us, as Affiliates?

Leave us out of your spat with Greg. Do the right thing, and don't F us over.
HEY! I'd be a venture capitalist if I had the money... VC is typically about taking a company that needs cash (which CF doesn't), injecting it with cash in return for equity in it, and using that to grow the business. BUT, it's like everything in life, there's some good, some bad, and some just want to hang on to leech. Some folks are like that, most aren't (thank God).

NOW, Coach has been right on literally EVERY big thing I can remember as it relates to CrossFit in recent history. Why would this be different?