CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
sorry.. yet another squat problem

Squatting with poor form is causing me considerable low back pain. When the weight gets up in the 300 lb range I experience this. I push my knees out and have a wide stance. I only go to parallel . And I sit back in the squat. I do think my bar position may be too high. I rest it across the top of my shoulder blades. I noticed with anything above 300 that on some reps I have a lot of foreward lean. At first I thought the weight was too heavy...

But I just did a squat test where you put your toes on a wall and touch your chest and chin to the wall and squat back. I get to about a quarter squat , and lose my balance backwards ! So I'm thinking a balance issue may be causing me to pitch foreward. Ideas? Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: sorry.. yet another squat problem

If you aren't squatting with Olympic carryover in mind, go for the low bar back squat.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

A video would really help--side shot would help examine the lean.

Do you force out your abs/gut when you squat? That will help with upward stability.

When you come out from the bottom position do you start with your hips or drive your upper back into the bar? If you are getting significant lean I suggest you start by driving your back into the bar instead of driving with your hips. If you overdrive with the hips, it can pitch you forward into a good morning like position.

Also, how high are your elbows? If you are really torquing them back and up, that can make your chest collapse and make it easier to lean forward.

Ways to help the lean--front squats, safety bar squats, good mornings and squats starting at the bottom (Anderson Squats).
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I had a similar problem with back pain until I kept a couple of things in mind with every rep. First thing is that when you go deep, try not to go so deep your lower back tightness starts to "break." You should be able to experience what I am talking about without a bar on your back at all. We are not flexible enough to go super bottomed out on back squats, so you may need to learn to take it just an inch or so above that point. You shouldn't have your lower back rounding at the bottom, at all.

When I tighten up, I try to create a "Barrier around my spine" before each rep. I also try to keep my back as straight as possible. Think about bending at your hips and knees to keep the bar track. You don't want to have 300#+ tweak your back.

I also make sure to stay tight the entire rep. I have to take a big breath before every rep to accomplish this when it gets heavy. Sometimes two. What was happening with me is that my squats looked pretty good, even to the outside eye, but like you - my lower back would hurt. So I started trying to figure out exactly what it was and it was basically not keeping my back tight/spine straight (obviously your back will be straight UP and DOWN, I am thinking spinal mechanics only). If I put my arms back like I am holding a Back Squat and go so far down the weight tries to shift to my toes... my lower back become unstable.

I am not a coach - but I had the same type of problems. Perhaps something in here will help you figure it out like I did. I just recently reset my back squats to go for full depth and hit #315 again. Because of the problems like you were having - I was only squatting until my calves and hamstrings would contact (which is not nearly deep enough for a full squat effect). I am glad I took the weight down and re-trained myself.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Really need to see a video...
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
James M Fleck

Profile:

One thing that really help me not to lean forward was to do squats bare footed. It not only stopped my leaning, but I also could lift quite about more.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Bob Herald

Profile:

James, I wear new balance minimums. It's like not even wearing shoes. Is that virtually the Same thing?

I'm gonna try some of your suggestions guys. Definitely start squatting low bar. I don't have access to a safety bar, that would be awesome. I have been doing low box squats with minimal back pain. I thing my main problem is balance and lack of flexibility, to be honest. Thx
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Get some weightlifting shoes if you're serious about squatting heavy weights.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
Get some weightlifting shoes if you're serious about squatting heavy weights.
Maybe not necessarily lifting shoes, but definitely something with a flat, unpadded sole.

I usually *do* squat in my lifting shoes, but (as James noted above) sometimes the raised heel lets me sort absent-mindedly wander too far forward on my toes. For this reason, every so often I squat in my Chucks. Still a flat, unpadded shoe, but it helps force me back into my heels. With that reset (and it usually only takes one session), I get back to my lifting shoes the next time.

- Mark