CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Tyson Wright

Profile:
Front squat and Back Squat 1RM Differential

This morning I got a 1rm on front squat which is 10lbs lighter than my back squat 1rm and almost matched it. (fs=295, bs=305) Is it odd that my 1RM for the 2 different moves are so close? I always thought the back squat 1rm would be considerably higher than front squat. I am thinking maybe my midline was more stable in the fs since I focused more on keeping it tight. I'm sure I do not focus on the midline that hard in back squats. Did I just answer my own question? Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
David Fletcher

Profile:
Re: Front squat and Back Squat 1RM Differential

I don't know what the trend is, but my front squat is almost 100 lb less than my back squat. When I front squat I tend to go a** to ankles, and my back squat is just below parallel.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

When you back squat, do you high bar/low bar?
How's your depth on both?

the midline stabilization will definitely contribute, but without a video, it's hard to tell. Generally, a solid number is that your FS should be around 80%-85% of your BS. Any higher and I would lean towards the thought that you could have some posterior chain weaknesses (glute/hamstring) as well.

Do you squat FS/BS regularly or one more so than the other?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Ralston Baker

Profile:

A good round estimate for lifts is:

Front Squat is 85% of Back Squat
Clean and Jerk 80% of Front Squat
Snatch 80% of Clean and Jerk
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Clean and Jerk 80% of Front Squat
That's selling the clean short. An experienced lifter should be able to clean nearly as much as they can front squat or at worst what they can front squat for 3 reps. A very few lifters can clean the same as their front squat or more . And you should be able to jerk what you can clean.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
And you should be able to jerk what you can clean.
Sigh. Don't remind me.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Mike Laroche

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
When you back squat, do you high bar/low bar?
How's your depth on both?

the midline stabilization will definitely contribute, but without a video, it's hard to tell. Generally, a solid number is that your FS should be around 80%-85% of your BS. Any higher and I would lean towards the thought that you could have some posterior chain weaknesses (glute/hamstring) as well.

Do you squat FS/BS regularly or one more so than the other?
Posterior chain weakness sounds likely, it afflicts more people than you might think. I have started directly training glutes with hip hyperextension excercises and its great. Heavy hip thrusts are great. Check out Bret Contreras here http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth
My sprint times have gone up. I have been avoiding heavy squats lately cause I'm recovering from some back issues, but I think these back issues were due to posterior chain weakness!!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Some good points made here. Post some video if you can, because that BS should definitely be higher.
Your FS is 5# higher than mine, and BS is 70# lower.
Props on the FS though! thats big.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
That's selling the clean short. An experienced lifter should be able to clean nearly as much as they can front squat or at worst what they can front squat for 3 reps. A very few lifters can clean the same as their front squat or more . And you should be able to jerk what you can clean.
Or a weak lifter... I can clean more than I can front squat (I've only gone 5lbs over my FS max), and my jerk is my front squat max. I hadn't done front squats in a while and they definitely suffered. On top of that, I was a low-bar back squatter which I believe translates even less to the front squat. I've recently gone back to high-bar hoping to even the playing field a little more. As of a month ago, my LB BS was 330lbs and FS was 235lbs, clean 240, PC 240 and just snatched 180 a few days ago.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Ralston Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Really? That seems a little ridiculous. The 2008 Olympic Team averaged a 86% Clean and jerk (BEST) / Front squat (Best). Kendrick had the highest with 92%. They seem to be pretty elite. Maybe some of the Chinese, but I don't know? Where to find those statistics?

Reaching above 85% is a feat, especially if you are a seasoned squatter, anything above that takes years and years to achieve. Only one of our Olympians passed 90%.
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38