CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Daniel Navarro

Profile:
By the numbers...

My goals...
I am a competitive triathlete and just started getting into obstacle course racing. In general, I am usually in the top 10 to 15% for my age group. I'm happy with that, but would like to be even more competitive. That being said, I hate the fact that during my season, I lose so much strength.

My season has been done for about a month and half, and this is where I stand. I'm looking to you all for some assistance in improving my power to weight ratio.

Honest opinions, are these weak, average, etc?

I'm 31 yrs. old, 5'8, 150 lbs.

5k - 20:32
Bench - 180
B. squat - 185
F. squat - 125
Strict press - 90x2
Hanging clean - 145x3
Snatch - 95x5 (Not max, just haven't tried more)
Dead lift - 225x10
Strict pull-ups - 15
Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: By the numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Navarro View Post
Honest opinions, are these weak, average, etc?

5k - 20:32
Bench - 180
B. squat - 185
F. squat - 125
Strict press - 90x2
Hanging clean - 145x3
Snatch - 95x5 (Not max, just haven't tried more)
Dead lift - 225x10
Strict pull-ups - 15
On the strength numbers, I would call those fairly weak. Maybe the high end of weak. The strict pullups and hang clean (and maybe bench) are okay, but it sounds like you would benefit from more strength work.

- Mark
Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if I was being more critical of myself
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

You could definitely use a good linear progression in your off-season.

Something like GSLP or 5/3/1. CF Football would be another good offseason choice.

These are of course if you don't mind losing a bit of your long-distance conditioning and having to gain it back before the season.

I also don't think it would hurt for you to gain a few pounds. As you are a triathlete, nothing major of course, but say 10-15# would not hurt your conditioning and more overall strength would be worth the trade-off for the swimming and biking especially.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

This time of year, it's not a big deal if I lose some speed and endurance. Luckily, I typically don't have too much trouble getting back to my base fitness. Like I said, it's the strength thing that becomes the issue. Without going overboard, I really think that getting the extra strength would benefit me on the hills and the later miles without sacrificing too much endurance.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Dakota Base

Profile:

What distance of triathlon and OCR's do you run? Strength expectations/demands for a Sprint or Oly triathlete, or a 5k OCR runner are different than for an endurance Half Ironman/Full Iroman Triathlete or 15-20k+ OCR (Spartan Beast, Tough Mudder, Iron Warrior) runner. Short length guys can afford to carry more muscle around, and benefit more from the explosion power. Endurance athletes will just slow down with numbers much above yours.

I took your numbers and used a 1RM calculator to 'correct' against your 2, 3, 5, and 10RM that you provided. You should be able to do this already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Navarro View Post

Bench - 180
B. squat - 185
F. squat - 125
Strict press - 95
Hanging clean - 155
Snatch - 110
Dead lift - 300
Where you are right now (for your bodyweight), other than being weak on your Squat, Front Squat, and Press, is considered "Intermediate" based on the Rippetoe and Kilgore standards for strength. Rippetoe and Kilgore tables at exrx.net (WFS)

"Intermediate" strength numbers, basically someone that has been weightlifting for 2yrs at 150lbs:

Bench - 170
B. squat - 230
F. squat - 185
Strict press - 120
Hanging clean - 165
Snatch - 105
Dead lift - 270

Again, your squats are weak, which will hurt you on hilly courses, and certain OCR obstacles. The rest of your lifts are good.

The above would be my top end targets for an endurance triathlete/OCR runner. Nothing more is needed. If you want a bit more strength, then focus on functional bodyweight movements, rather than raw strength (burpees, pushups, pull ups, air squats, lunges).

I'm actually coming at the same transition as yourself, but from the other direction. In high school and college I was a competitive powerlifter and wrestler. After College I gave up heavy weights and focused on muscular endurance for wrestling/grappling. 4yrs ago I started running OCR's, working my way up to Spartan Super and Tough Mudder lengths in the last year (a few half marathons along the way). About 9mos ago, I began training for endurance Triathlons (Ironman 70.3 and 140.6's).

I'm 5'10", 185-190lbs, 8-10% bodyfat, and still hit "Advanced" on all of my lifts except Snatch on the 'Rip & Kil Strength Standards' table. My 5k is 23-24min, 10k 55-56min. It's become PAINFULLY obvious that carrying the extra muscle is a huge disadvantage as I'm extending my training runs and rides.

If you're a Sprint/Oly triathlete, and a 5k OCR Runner and REALLY want to increase your strength, then I would NOT recommend pursuing the "Advanced" numbers in the Rippetoe and Kilgore table, but maybe look for something halfway between Intermediate and Advanced, which would look something like this:

Bench - 205
B. squat - 275
F. squat - 220
Strict press - 130
Hanging clean - 195
Snatch - 120
Dead lift - 325

These would be HUGE lifts for a 5-10k OCR runner, and would likely require a detrimental muscle load for an Ironman length triathlete, so I'd put these as your ceiling.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

My go to distance is Oly, but I have done Iron distance (For iron distance, keeping weight on is a challenge in itself). As for OCR, I've done the Super Spartan, which I think is the 8 mile race.

I was always a leaner person. It wasn't till college when I broke 130lbs for my weight. In HS, I ran track and swam. College, played lacrosse, started doing triathlon.

I officially have my targets... Thanks.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

for your consideration... from a strong triathlete

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...and-be-strong/

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...u-want-to-run/

links WFS

here is more by alex V. this one not WFS at all, it is CnP

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/201...tation-of.html

and here are his original articles for ranger up, still some of my favorite fitness articles of all time... the link has the links to the articles below, you can look at all 8 or 9 or them in order... mostly WFS, some language

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/ranger-...orkouts-plans/

Last edited by Andrew N. Casey : 10-08-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

All the post above mine are great advice. However, if you can afford it I would recommend getting Brian MacKenzie's book; Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training. If nothing else it is a great read and can help you pull it all together as you train for triathlons in addition to the advice already in this thread. The book has helped me understand how to train smarter for multi-sport events.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
for your consideration... from a strong triathlete

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...and-be-strong/

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...u-want-to-run/

links WFS

here is more by alex V. this one not WFS at all, it is CnP

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/201...tation-of.html

and here are his original articles for ranger up, still some of my favorite fitness articles of all time... the link has the links to the articles below, you can look at all 8 or 9 or them in order... mostly WFS, some language

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/ranger-...orkouts-plans/
Complete Human Performance is holding a webinar, which goes over a lot of the stuff that Andrew posted above. You may want to check it out.