CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #31
David L Jones

Profile:
Re: Pretty glad I didn't sign up for the Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
If your goal is to do well in the open, you know you have to be good at double unders. They are in the workouts every year. When I first started crossfit, I had never jump roped at all before, let alone done double unders. If you practice them for like 5 minutes a day you will be good at them within a month or two.
I disagree, some people will never be good at double unders no matter how much they practice. One of the better masters in our gym will kill it on ever other workout, but has a hard time with DUs and has been doing Crossfit for several years.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #32
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

FWIW we had several people get their first double unders in this workout, simply because they weren't given the option not to. They were elated.

That's the kind of stuff I remember from the Open, not the Regional competitor scores.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #33
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I too was disappointed to see double unders as the first WOD this year. The reason being that I felt like I could have done the WOD's from the last 2 years RX for the most part.

However, the difference between me and you is when I saw DU's for 14.1, I didn't think to myself "dang, I just wasted $20." No.

I said to myself "I have 3 days to work on this and hopefully I can put my best effort forward on Monday when I do the WOD for real."

And you know what? That's exactly what I did. I practiced in my garage on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I took a little video and tried to figure out why I can't string together more than 3 or 4 in a row.

When I did the WOD today, in round 2, I strung together 16 in a row!!! That's the most I've ever done by a large margin. Most of the reps before and after that were one at a time, but I didn't care.

I finished 3 rounds RX. 135 reps. That's the lowest of all the men in my class, but I don't care.

Check the scoreboard. There are 56 pages of participants who registered ONE REP. One rep. Don't tell me you couldn't do more than 1 rep.

http://games.crossfit.com

Crossfit isn't about picking and choosing. You've gotta take what they program for you.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #34
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101936430779287

WFS - Hope you can see this, because people who complain about DU kills me..

Basically guy in wheelchair doin the Overheads and Battling ropes for 14.1

Don't think he complained about DUs...
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #35
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
I've only been doing CF for a short time so I really did'nt know what to expect from the Open. I guess I could have looked up past Opens to see what the programming was. I do work on DU's and I will continue to work on them until I have them down. I can see the point of the box owners that doing the open brings an inspiring atmosphere. But couldn't your box do the open workouts without donating $20 to HQ? I guess there is some motivation to see your name on a leaderboard along with CF elites even if it is hundreds of spots lower. I must not be conveying my point if I'm coming across as whiny. I'm not upset with CF or HQ about putting DU's into 14.1. We all spend a lot of money to do CF. I still haven't heard a really good reason why I would spend more to fumble around a workout. I'm not saying that the Open is pointless to anyone, again I am just speaking for myself.

On a seperate note, How many of the 200,000 that signed up for the open have a realistic chance of going to regionals?
How many of the 20,000 that run the Boston Marathon have a realistic chance of winning?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #36
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
How many of the 20,000 that run the Boston Marathon have a realistic chance of winning?
Winning comment.

You do it to say you did it, to say, you 'ran' the same course the elite athletes did. You do it to say, hey, I finished in the top half, or top third, or top two-thirds. Whatever. It's an achievement to have under your belt.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #37
Ron Reed

Profile:

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was genuinely curious to know if anyone knew the number. The problem with these message boards is there is a lot of mis-interpretation. I put this post out there to express my thoughts on the open to see if I was not alone or to see off I was way off base. If heard good points on both sides but there are always the few that have to throw a stab in here or there.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #38
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was genuinely curious to know if anyone knew the number. The problem with these message boards is there is a lot of mis-interpretation. I put this post out there to express my thoughts on the open to see if I was not alone or to see off I was way off base. If heard good points on both sides but there are always the few that have to throw a stab in here or there.
I wasn't taking a shot at you if that's the way you took it. I read your post about the number of people with chance the wrong way I guess. I apologize. To answer your question, there are 17 regions and I would say 100 or so per region have a shot depending on what the WODs are. So men and women, 3400. When you figure in teams it adds another 6000 maybe. So less than 5%.

This is all just me throwing crap at the wall so it could be way off.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #39
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Finishing a marathon is an accomplishment in itself. Completing the open is not hard, doing well and being competitive is.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #40
Ron Reed

Profile:

Thanks for the info John. I saw on the games site that they take 43 individual men and women in each region plus teams. I was curious to know how many people that signed up for the open had a legit chance at those spots. If your numbers are right, then it's pretty impressive to find 190,000 people signed up without any hope of going any further. Like I said before, I'm not downing the Open. I just know myself enough to know that I would not have been happy with a single digit score on round one. That's just me though.