CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Ron Reed

Profile:
Pretty glad I didn't sign up for the Open

I have to say that I am pretty happy that I didn't sign up for the Open. Now let me explain my reasoning. I started Crossfit exactly 5 months ago today. Not very long. In that time however, I have been able to grasp every workout and movement that we've done....EXCEPT DU'S! I just can't seem to do more than 1 at a time. I can do handstand pushups, T2B's, clean, jerk, snatch. Everything but DU's. If I had signed up for the Open like every coach and a bunch of other members at my box encouraged me to, I would have been ****ed off. To frustrate myself for 10 minutes and possibly having a 0 score to show for it would have been totally discouraging. Also to have to totally forfeit the very first workout would have felt like a waste of time and money. I completely understand why HQ put Du's into the Open workouts. Their mission is to weed through 200,000 to find the absolute best to go to regionals and then on to the games, I get it and agree. What I don't really understand is how they can market the Open as a beneficial test of fitness advancement for Joe Average Crossfitter. The way it was marketed on youtube and Crossfit Mainsite and pushed by box owners seems a lot like a money grab. I mean 200,000 people paying $20 each is not chump change. I have been stewing over this since the announcement on Thursday and just wanted to get it off of my chest. If I can grasp the DU's this year, I may sign up for the Open next year, Maybe. I could also just do the publicly announced workouts on my own and see where I would have fallen. I have no aspirations or misconceptions of being a competitive Crossfit athlete. Your thoughts?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Pretty glad I didn't sign up for the Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
What I don't really understand is how they can market the Open as a beneficial test of fitness advancement for Joe Average Crossfitter.
Does DU's or more specifically your lack of ability to do DUs suddenly make the 1st open workout not viable for the AVERAGE Crossfitter?

You don't need to be elite, games level or even high level to have the ability to do Double Unders. Making a WoD high level or elite only is having really heavy weight. Heavy Olympic stuff or super high rep difficult BW movements - like 50+ C2B or 50+ HSPU. Making a WoD high level or elite only is requiring some sick work capacity - like 500ish+ Fight Gone Bad rep scores.

Average Crossfitter movements ARE Double Unders. What separates the bad from the good to the great is how they move, how strong they are, how explosive, how athletic and simply how fit. Not one of those adjectives are needed for Double Under mastery.

What is needed however is an honest dose of "do it every single day, for quite a while, until it is no longer an issue."

Fact is, I'm guessing you and many others haven't put forth that effort. Do you spend more time on your daily Crossfit training than you do on DUs? If so why? You know you don't have them down. Mikko Salo mentioned something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "After the 2010 games I realized many of my weaknesses, like Double Unders. It cost me points, spots and possibly the podium or the win. As for Double Unders now? Well I worked on them every single day, for as long as necessary until they are no longer an issue."

Are you telling me that is exclusive to Mikko because he is elite? No, he is willing to do what needs to be done to be called a Crossfitter. It doesn't mean to be elite or high level vs. your average weekend warrior. It means to train in a fitness program where so much is thrown at you that you are humbly shown where you are weak. You then attack those weaknesses until that is no longer the case. Isn't that how you prepare for anything?

Problem I see is, with myself included and many others, we all want the glitz and glamour of Crossfit. We want Ring Muscle-ups, high rep Olympic lifts and BW Snatch. We want to be able to do a sub 3min Fran. However, we neglect the very basic movements of Crossfit to begin with - such as Double Unders.

You need to be able to do a Pistol. Maybe not weighted but able to do it. You need DUs. You need a pull-up. You need a decent Deadlift and Back Squat. You need to be able to run 400m at a decent pace without dying. You need to understand and be able to churn through a Row interval. You need to be able to knock out push-ups like its goin' out of style. You need to be able to box jump in the 30" range. None of this is elite, high level or exclusive to those in the game for a long time. THEY ARE BASIC movements.

Instead, we gloat about "I did a WoD today that was a couplet of Bar over Burpees and Thick bar Overhead Squats because I saw Froning do it!"...then open 14.1 hits and people get all...

you know.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 03-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Ron Reed

Profile:

The point that I was trying to get across was that I cannot do DU's therefore the Open is not for me. My opinion is that the Average Crossfitter cannot do DU's. I base that opinion only on what I have seen with my own eyes. The Crossfit workouts that I have seen that have included DU's that were performed by normal everyday people were scaled and those people performed singles. Mikko has a lot of money riding on whether or not he can do DU's. The average Crossfitter does not. I simply do not have time to perfect my DU's therefore when those are called on in a workout, I do singles. Does that mean I will never be a Crossfitter because I can't do this basic movement as you call it? I think we have a difference of opinion on what a "basic" and an "advanced" movement is. I don't do Crossfit for glitz and glamour. I don't do it to compete with other people. I know that there are plenty of people out there that think I'm wasting my time doing Crossfit if I don't want those things. I disagree. I am not trying to be argumentative. Again, this is just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

If 14.2 is AMRAP air-squats then I also will be rethinking the $20 I spent.

Seriously, I don't really have DUs either and I think 14.1 was a good workout. DUs are a staple CrossFit movement (coordination, accuracy, speed) that you need to have down to consider yourself a good CrossFit athlete. They were going to be featured in this year's Open sooner or later, just as they've been featured every previous Open. Yet, DU singles (as in you do a double-under and then you stop swinging the rope to regroup) aren't that hard. I've seen people get 2--3 full rounds by doing DU singles.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 03-02-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
I have to say that I am pretty happy that I didn't sign up for the Open. Now let me explain my reasoning. I started Crossfit exactly 5 months ago today. Not very long. In that time however, I have been able to grasp every workout and movement that we've done....EXCEPT DU'S! I just can't seem to do more than 1 at a time. I can do handstand pushups, T2B's, clean, jerk, snatch. Everything but DU's. If I had signed up for the Open like every coach and a bunch of other members at my box encouraged me to, I would have been ****ed off. To frustrate myself for 10 minutes and possibly having a 0 score to show for it would have been totally discouraging. Also to have to totally forfeit the very first workout would have felt like a waste of time and money. I completely understand why HQ put Du's into the Open workouts. Their mission is to weed through 200,000 to find the absolute best to go to regionals and then on to the games, I get it and agree. What I don't really understand is how they can market the Open as a beneficial test of fitness advancement for Joe Average Crossfitter. The way it was marketed on youtube and Crossfit Mainsite and pushed by box owners seems a lot like a money grab. I mean 200,000 people paying $20 each is not chump change. I have been stewing over this since the announcement on Thursday and just wanted to get it off of my chest. If I can grasp the DU's this year, I may sign up for the Open next year, Maybe. I could also just do the publicly announced workouts on my own and see where I would have fallen. I have no aspirations or misconceptions of being a competitive Crossfit athlete. Your thoughts?
Ron, great points. Most Boxes and CFHQ have definitely promoted the open as something every crossfitter should be part of. Having DU's in the very first WOD, is discouraging to many.

While I agree that DU's are an important crossfit movement, your frustration makes total sense and I've heard the same from many.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
If 14.2 is AMRAP air-squats then I also will be rethinking the $20 I spent.

Seriously, I don't really have DUs either and I think 14.1 was a good workout. DUs are a staple CrossFit movement (coordination, accuracy, speed) that you need to have down to consider yourself a good CrossFit athlete. They were going to be featured in this year's open sooner or later, just as they've been featured every previous Open. Yet, DU singles (one at a time) aren't that hard. I've seen people get 2--3 full rounds by doing DU singles.
Agreed as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Ron Reed

Profile:

Thanks guys. I just want to stress again that I am not downing the open or the choice of workout for 14.1. I just don't think the open is for me because I can't do the movement.

Last edited by Ron Reed : 03-02-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Chuck Golden

Profile:

I fought this fight in another thread so I won't rehash all my arguments but I agree. This first WOD wasn't nearly as inclusive as the previous two years have been. Double unders may be a CF staple but there's still a fairly sizable chunk of the population who can't do them either at all or very well. Every single person on the planet could have at least registered a score the previous two years, but the same can not be said this year.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Mike Darlington

Profile:

I suppose your reasoning that the Open isn't for you makes sense; however, how do you think you'd feel if DU's showed up in WOD 4 or 5? I think most people expected the workouts to progressively get more difficult (less inclusive), but this year HQ threw a curveball and had DU's in the first workout. It seems like if they had waited until a bit later to put in DU's people wouldn't be as upset, they would just think "oh, it's week 4, that makes sense that it's more difficult now."

To your point about your coaches pushing you to join the Open, I think that's more about them trying to enhance the gym's culture and get as many people as involved as possible. The Open can either be 'just another workout,' or, if your coaches want it to be, it can be a really fun way to get tons of energy in the gym and get members excited. At my gym, it's all about getting people excited, improving the community, etc. Other than the largest gyms in the world who get free tickets to the Games for having the biggest teams, there is no financial incentive for gyms to get a huge number of people signed up.

Hopefully you'll work on the DU's so when they show up next year you'll crush em.

Quote:
Thanks guys. I just want to stress again that I am not downing the open or the choice of workout for 14.1. I just don't think the open is for me because I can't do the movement.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Clint Harris

Profile:

Ron, I do agree with you.
However, you said you couldn't do more than 1 at a time. This means, to me at least, you can do 1. So, surely you can do this.

In some respects, I like this aspect too. It forces people to actually try to to a DU. They can just do lame singles for the rest of their lives lamenting at the fact that they "can't do DUs" or they can knuckle down and try.
Over come adversity and really try for 10 minutes to get as many DUs as they can. If they get a score of 5. Then it may be 5 more than they thought they could do, and, 5 more than anyone else who ran from the box crying as soon as the wod was posted.
I guarentee you there will be stories of people getting their first DU in 14.1 Even if it took 9 mins to do so. Such perseverance is what it is about. Other stories in years past ... Snatch PRs, First DU, First MU, First C2B pull-up, First T2B etc.

For your CF future, whenever DUs are programmed. I'd seriously suggest doing the first 25% as DUs or at least DUs attempts, even if it is 1 at a time, rather than just falling into the 3:1 single trap. That does nothing but eat up the clock.

Even when you "have" DUs. they can be fleeting. You may have been able to do DUs, everything was working well. You can do 50 of them no problem. Then 14.1 starts ... 3..2...1.. go. And Trip. Trip. Trip. Trip. 1..Trip... Trip... seriously, that is how it goes sometimes. It may not be first round, it could be 2nd and 3rd (which is how it went for me. 1st round np. 2nd/3rd round terrible. Rest fine). But i didn't donate $20 either.