CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Ruth S. Walker

Profile:
Weightloss

Alright.. I'm new to the discussion board.. Obviously I've been exposed to crossfit, and love the concept. Here's my delema.
I'm a stay at home mom, and I can't get to a crossfit gym nor afford the fees every month.
I have a home made kettlebell, an olympic bar with weights. a pull up bar, and lots of floor space.
I'm 31, and weigh 147... I'm 5'2 and I know I need to lose at least 25lbs.

What do you think is "normal" weight loss in a week 1,2,3 lbs..

I've always been active, but in the past few years have slowly put on some weight that I know doesn't belong there.. I've been down to 113 after my daughter was born, but I wasn't "strong".... just skinning from all the breast feeding. I'm short and stalkg and have bigger claves then my husband. Played soccer, waterpolo, and rockclimbed.. sedentary life has set in, and we have kids now.
How do I modify the WOD's with what I can do at home if I don't have the right equipment??
Thanks in advance for your advice
I know I just need to GET OFF MY BUTT!

Last edited by Ruth S. Walker : 03-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Weightloss

Check the results from Cheeseslave's recent 1 month Kettlebell Challenge. The folks didn't make working out their whole life but made positive changes and saw some really good results.

The original challenge guidelines & links for workout examples - http://www.cheeseslave.com/join-the-...ell-challenge/

The winners results - http://www.cheeseslave.com/winners-o...-after-photos/

(wfs)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

From wrestling, after testing body weight, fat %, and hydration, they only let us lose 2 pounds a week. Of course, this wasn't always followed, but you're not going to lose more than a solid 2 pounds per week.

Water weight isn't real weight. Plus, there's the quote around here, "Chase performance and composition will follow."

Look up what a pound is and how it was defined and you might throw your scale away.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Ben Croese

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth S. Walker View Post
1-2 pounds is the general guidline. HOWEVER, and this is very important to remember: weight loss is NOT linear. So dont sweat the scales. Some weeks you'll drop weight and others u won't. Just focus on eating right and being consistant with ur training and the body will do it's thing. Photo's every 4 weeks or something like that is far better than jumping on the scale as ur only means of measuring progress.

best of luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
In the first week or two, you'll see a relatively large drop due to water weight, which will be the adjustment to the new diet (lower carbs/calories/higher protein).

The good thing is, not all of the weight you need to lose is fat. The bad thing is that women lose fat much slower than men. As far as realistic fat loss in a week, for a female: 1lb is EXCELLENT, and often it is less than that even if you are doing everything right.

Realistically, 1lb of fat a week means a deficit of 500 calories a day. If your maintenance is 1800, that's a pretty huge drop already. This explains why women often have to do more cardio than men, between the slowing metabolism during the diet and the fact that the maintenance is very low to begin with, fat is lost at a much slower rate.

Quote:
HOWEVER, and this is very important to remember: weight loss is NOT linear
This. Apparently during quick fat loss, there can be increased water retention. So the sequence might be: nothing, nothing, nothing, -4lb??? So be prepared for stalls, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not working.

Last edited by Dimitri Dziabenko : 03-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
I'm 31, and weigh 147... I'm 5'2 and I know I need to lose at least 25lbs.
I know I just need to GET OFF MY BUTT!
Focus on how you look and feel and not what you weigh.

Getting off your butt is a good start, even just walking a couple of miles a day can have benefits. Adapt a healthy eating lifestyle to go with that too.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Courtney Green

Profile:

Hi Ruth,

I understand how you feel as I've been many pounds overweight before and had to drop a significant bit. I'm now within 10-15 pounds of where I'd like to be but I've stopped looking at the scale, on a regular basis at least. Weight loss on the scale will NOT be an indicator of success/failure of your program. Overall, aim for performance and enhanced body composition, don't worry about the scale so much. Gaining muscle should be just as important as shedding fat. If you do what you need to do, it'll even out over the course of a few months. But give it that much, don't look at it week to week. Ignore the BS that's portrayed on the Biggest Loser, etc.

For example, after starting back with CF in early January, I actually gained 7 pounds but looked significantly better, I was stronger, faster, etc. Then I shed those 7 pounds suddenly, after about a month. Now, I've gained a few back but my body comp just keeps getting better. So, as was stated before, weight loss is not linear and don't let it determine your success or motivation.

My advice is this: nutrition is vital. If you can, go 90% paleo/primal (or even 100% if you really want to see great results, for about 20-30 days) with whey protein powder included and eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day (147g of protein per day for you). Don't worry about calories, just worry about the type of food you're eating and protein grams. Do a strength bias version of CF if your equipment allows for it (like CF Football, or Greyskull Linear Progression combined with 2 CF conditioning WODS per week). From my own experience, this will really change your body composition. Just be aware that you will gain weight on the scale at first due to muscle gain, but that it will start to drop as the fat loss catches up. And you will lose fat doing it this way.

As for doing the WODs with minimal equipment, you can actually do a lot with what you have. For what you don't have, search these forums or check out the BrandX scaled WODs and they'll usually include adjustments for lack of equipment. When you can, try to acquire some bumper plates for your olympic bar as your strength gains improve. That will be your most important set of equipment to have, hands down (my opinion, of course). Good luck!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
How do I modify the WOD's with what I can do at home if I don't have the right equipment??
All links are wfs.

You can make your own equipment... med ball, plyo box, parallelettes, etc.

If you still don't have the equipment, lots of subs are listed on the FAQ page, here

Also, check out the BrandX scaled workouts if you can't do the main page stuff... here

My wife likes this programming

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Ruth S. Walker

Profile:

thanks everyone.. generally as a rule I don't look at the scale.. I don't even having one that works properly.. But I do know by just looking at myself in the mirror.. and they way my clothes fit.. my thighs and hips are getting bigger, and not in a good way.
I'll check out the links and the CF website.
mind over matter.

Thanks again.