CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Free Online Coaching for 2 Lucky CrossFit Athletes!

Sounds sketchy if you have to beg people to do it. Froning's c&j is 270 and he weighes 195(probably ten or fifteen more in offeseason during strength time). You do the math. His back squat is also 445(no triple there). Why don't you train yourself to be able to go to the games? Why don't you show me the vid of your double body weight clean? Why don't you show me the vid of your triple body weight squat? Don't talk down to us mister. I would advise everyone to STAY AWAY. Oh yeah one more thing

Last edited by Blaise Davis : 09-11-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #22
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
Sounds sketchy if you have to beg people to do it. Froning's c&j is 270 and he weighes 195(probably ten or fifteen more in offeseason during strength time). You do the math. His back squat is also 445(no triple there). Why don't you train yourself to be able to go to the games? Why don't you show me the vid of your double body weight clean? Why don't you show me the vid of your triple body weight squat? Don't talk down to us mister. I would advise everyone to STAY AWAY. Oh yeah one more thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufU367ml1UM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWyLGE25lxo

wfs

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 09-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
Blaise Davis

Profile:

and the vids float to shore..thats some nice work..still feel the guy rubbed me the wrong way....and you don't have to have that stuff to win the games obviously(although it would help tremendously)...thanks jeff
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
and the vids float to shore..thats some nice work..still feel the guy rubbed me the wrong way....and you don't have to have that stuff to win the games obviously(although it would help tremendously)...thanks jeff
You feel he rubbed you the wrong way? That says it's your problem then because it wasn't his intention. If you aren't interested, then ignore the post.

Btw, froning's best is 370, not 270!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Sean, thanks for the offer to free coaching. If I didn't just switch programs I would have seriously considered it; my goals tend towards Oly lifting and strength much more now as opposed to being awesome at exercising. I'm thinking sometime in the future I actually want to try out that LSUS program you posted here recently although it obviously would require a ton of time to do (looks like at least 2 hour workouts).

One thing I did want to ask since we have you here is regarding jerks. I have a huge weakness going overhead and I've noticed most guys can jerk a lot more than they can clean. For me it's the opposite. Most videos I see guys look really solid on the jerk. Once I get over 245 (80% for me) my form starts getting really bad. Under 245 my jerk looks pretty solid. I've mostly noticed that the weakness is in my upper back. My legs are quite strong so I can dip and drive just fine, I mostly just have trouble supporting the weight when it's that heavy. My upper back starts to feel pretty crushed under heavy weight. Do you know of any drills or anything I can do to correct that and build a mean as ***** jerk? In my opinion it's actually the funnest part of the oly lifts because the potential is there for it to be fast (I lifted with a guy for a while who was so fast it sounded like a gun went off); it also happens to be the lift I suck at the most in comparison.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Sean, thanks for the offer to free coaching. If I didn't just switch programs I would have seriously considered it; my goals tend towards Oly lifting and strength much more now as opposed to being awesome at exercising. I'm thinking sometime in the future I actually want to try out that LSUS program you posted here recently although it obviously would require a ton of time to do (looks like at least 2 hour workouts).

One thing I did want to ask since we have you here is regarding jerks. I have a huge weakness going overhead and I've noticed most guys can jerk a lot more than they can clean. For me it's the opposite. Most videos I see guys look really solid on the jerk. Once I get over 245 (80% for me) my form starts getting really bad. Under 245 my jerk looks pretty solid. I've mostly noticed that the weakness is in my upper back. My legs are quite strong so I can dip and drive just fine, I mostly just have trouble supporting the weight when it's that heavy. My upper back starts to feel pretty crushed under heavy weight. Do you know of any drills or anything I can do to correct that and build a mean as ***** jerk? In my opinion it's actually the funnest part of the oly lifts because the potential is there for it to be fast (I lifted with a guy for a while who was so fast it sounded like a gun went off); it also happens to be the lift I suck at the most in comparison.
What helped me the most fixing my jerks recently was Presses in the split, jerk from split, and jerks with a pause in the split. Press in split is pretty self explanatory. You get set in your split position and perform presses, usually not super heavy weights, it would be less than your regular strict presses but to focus on getting into a good split and getting the weight over. The jerks with pause in the split are also simple. You perform the jerk and pause for 2 seconds once you land in the split, you then step back with the front foot and forward with the back foot to recover. It just helps you get comfortable in the split. The last one, the jerk from split sucks but it seems to help when done correctly. You basically start in the front rack in the split jerk position dip, drive, and catch the weight in the same split position working on not letting the front knee shoot forward and making sure you get a nice bend in the back knee and keep everything tight. You should be able to get up to 80-85% of your best 1RM with these for doubles and triples. They suck at first so start light with everything. It's all about positioning and learning to stick the jerks perfectly. Also for extra strength work try power jerks and push presses if you aren't already doing them. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
This was from 2012. I think there is a 2013 one floating around somewhere. Either way. This is my point. The guys/gals that are going to regionals and the Games are lifting big weights. No male athlete is getting to the games with a 250lb clean and jerk, Im sorry it's just not going to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	12832  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M. Hutchinson View Post
This was from 2012. I think there is a 2013 one floating around somewhere. Either way. This is my point. The guys/gals that are going to regionals and the Games are lifting big weights. No male athlete is getting to the games with a 250lb clean and jerk, Im sorry it's just not going to happen.
and 2013....Getting stronger every year.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2013-Games-Strength-232x300.png (42.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M. Hutchinson View Post
I am not trying to coach a games athlete. I'm just trying to help anybody who wants help getting stronger in the off season and better at Weightlifting.

The laymans term for Weightlifting is Weightlifting. We don't call CrossFit competitive exercising so stop calling it Oly Lifting. It's Weightlifting. It is a sport. Oly lifting is a silly name somebody made up that has nothing to do with the sport. It is not called Olympic Weightlifting, it is just Weightlifting.

Not looking to start an argument but what do you know about training games athletes or any high level athlete for that matter? Have you made it to the games yet? Just curious why you think a 12 week cycle starting now would totally throw you off for the Open which isn't until March? I think 3 months is plenty of time to switch gears and focus on more conditioning during the open.

Once again I am not trying to coach somebody to the games. I am offering a 12 week training cycle focused on strength and power development for an athlete looking to potentially make it to the games some day. I never said I could get you to the games in 12 weeks.

and omg LOL if you think Weightlifting is not strength based. You're right. That's why all the best Weightlifters in the world can back squat well over triple body weight. Man you crack me up!!! It's all techique right??!?!
Reading comprehension much?

1) I said my reasoning for why CFers train how they do. Which you questioned, simply my opinion on why. I said nothing of your program or your 12 week cycle throwing someone off.

2) I said that most that train the for season in the fashion I stated can continue to improve their WEIGHTLIFTING with technique improvement even after not focusing on maximal strength. Never said you could get by with no strength.

3) everyone is in a continual state of learning hopefully I never feel I've arrived. What does me putting an athlete who probably got their athleticism playing college level sports have to do with anything. You could have skipped questioning my CF resume which doesn't mean much IMO. and simply asked why I thought a 12 week cycle now would hurt someone, to which my rep,y is my first statement, I never said it would?

In closing I don't know you man. Im thinking you got defensive because of some of the earlier comments you got in this thread. I was just trying to put my $0.02 in on the question you asked. If it was rhetorical I missed it. Best of luck I don't doubt you'll work wonders for your trainees. <this is said sincerely.

Edit: re read my post maybe you thought the "you" in my first sentence meant YOU, it was an impersonal you.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 09-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
You feel he rubbed you the wrong way? That says it's your problem then because it wasn't his intention. If you aren't interested, then ignore the post.

Btw, froning's best is 370, not 270!
I meant 370 and its still not double math magician....

I don't think you are going to get to the games with a 250 c&j either but you also don't have to have double this and triple that as what I said......