CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Mitch Medeiros
Member Mitch Medeiros is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 122
What's the name of this gymnastics movement?

I'm writing some programming and I can't figure out if this movement has a name or not. I'll do my best to describe it below.

It starts with the athlete hanging a bar

The athlete swings their legs up in front of them up over the bar

The athlete folds over the bar at the hip

The athlete continues to roll backward over the bar and stops when they're on top of the bar supporting their weight on their hands (same finishing position as a bar muscle up).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Dan Schwickrath
Member Dan Schwickrath is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Platteville  WI
Posts: 36
Re: What's the name of this gymnastics movement?

I think it's called a pullover. There are different variants based on whether you pull, swing, or kick on your way up over the bar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: What's the name of this gymnastics movement?

In gymnastics we call those a Long Hang pullover. There is also a swinging version sometimes called a baby giant/ 3/4 giant generally done from a full swing.

Quite often children will remark " I got my pullover. " This is generally from a bar around your head height. Pretty big achievement for recreational and developmental gymnasts.

Pullover on Rings is way harder than the one on bar. It is actually called a backward roll to support or backwards felge. Probably one of the hardest "A" skills on Rings. Sometimes this is done as a mount but other times from a swing. A colloquial name for it from a swing is "Birdie-Up" and is a progression for giants like a 3/4 giant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Sean Lind
Member Sean Lind is offline
Sean Lind's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal  QC Canada
Posts: 158
Re: What's the name of this gymnastics movement?

Here is a video of a pull over on a bar, which can be performed Over hand grip ( (pronation) or Under hand grip ( Supination ) Link SFW

What Blair is referring to for a Backwards Pullover on rings ( Felge to support) Is the Third movement in this complex Link SFW
  • Strict Muscle-up,
  • Forward roll to support,
  • backwards roll to support
Build technique before you build the weight
  Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name of a Gymnastics movement Mitch Medeiros Exercises 0 04-15-2013 11:39 AM
Tabatas - one movement only or mash-up? Steve Agocs Exercises 4 02-23-2013 09:35 AM
Lateral Movement Jason Lopez-Ota Exercises 13 01-16-2011 07:21 PM
This Is The Movement Randy Hill Workout Logs 6 09-26-2009 01:05 AM
A New Movement!? Brett Andrus Exercises 1 02-19-2008 12:18 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.