CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
Randy Hill

Profile:
This Is The Movement

This is the movement.

My Story: I am deployed to Afghanistan as a member of the military. I decided that while I am deployed, I am going to start on a pure strength program, for the purpose of being able to do the WODs as Rx'd in the future. Everything was going great. I have made great strides in strength and I do not regret following Starting Strength. However recently I have had a sort of epiphany of reality. Some of you may have read my post here (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51330) WFS about how my unit is forcing low intensity, hour long cardio on everybody in my unit for an hour a day, five times a week. If you read more in to the thread you will see that I wrote up an E-Mail to send up my chain of command about why this is a bad idea.

I have now made it my personal job to prove to not only the people in my unit, but everybody I come across that Crossfit is the future of fitness, and paleo is the way you are meant to eat. Not only do the workouts lead to elite, functional fitness, but Crossfit's theories and methods are groundbreaking. It's a CULT, a good cult that I have known about for years but only recently realized really how amazing it is.

Crossfit athletes realize how important it is to EXERCISE in the way that your body was meant to, and EAT in the way that your body was meant to.

I have done the 30 day paleo challenge. I switched back to eating anything and everything in a desperate attempt to gain weight and improve my lifts for Starting Strength. I got sick and felt like crap. I am now back on a strict paleo diet.

Here is something I wrote in the above mentioned thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill
This whole debacle, coupled with the fact that I will be returning to the US in two months, has caused me to rethink my programming.

I am no longer attempting a pure strength and hypertrophy program like I have been while I have been over here. Sure, I have made great strides in adding strength and muscular body weight, but now I feel like it's my CALLING to show people what Crossfit is all about, and what it can do. I need to stand behind what I know to be the best way to achieve elite fitness. I'm done messing around. I have goals and I will reach them.
MY GOAL IS TO BECOME A COMPETITIVE CROSSFIT ATHLETE. TO ACCOMPLISH THIS, I WILL GIVE EVERY WORKOUT EVERYTHING I HAVE. I WILL FOLLOW THE PALEO DIET AND REACH A BETTER STATE OF HEALTH AT THE SAME TIME.

Crossfit and paleo are what I will always stand behind.

This is the movement.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: This Is The Movement

Here is a link to my Beyond The Whiteboard Account: http://www.beyondthewhiteboard.com/members/6839 (WFS)

I am going to log my workouts on there as well and post my thoughts on Crossfit, paleo and fitness world in general on here.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 09-21-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
Randy Hill

Profile:

I freakin' love my 2008 CF Games DVD "Every Second Counts". Every time I watch it, I second guess why I ever did body part splits and the like. What the hell was I thinking? Look at these guys. The fittest athletes in the world. They can run faster than power lifters and lift more than runners. They can probably do BOTH better than bodybuilders. There's no competition.

I spent a lot of time pursuing a better looking body, and not caring about performance, only to realize that those who chase performance end up more aesthetic bodies than those who chase looks.

Sure, I have added muscle and fat while on Starting Strength, but I am confident that the fat will strip off quickly with Crossfit. I do the main page workouts and use Crossfit Brand X to scale to Pack, usually. Eventually I will be able to get competitive times as RX'd, but for now the best way to pursue that is to scale.

I just ordered a bunch more Paleo Kits (www.paleokits.org) WFS. Life is good.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

So I have set a short term goal now.

Lose 15 lbs. (and weigh 175) before I leave Afghanistan (middle of November).

I got up to 190 doing SS and eating a ton of food. I figure now it's time to drop the fat and hopefully maintain some of the strength. I also need to be in better shape for when I get back to run and such.

I'm going to do this by doing the WOD in the morning, supplementing with about 30 minutes on the elliptical at night after work, and eating a paleo diet @ 2000 calories per day. This should put me right around my target.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
Randy Hill

Profile:

I'll be doing the WOD in the morning, elliptical at night after work for 30 minutes.

Here's my "deployed" diet for the next 2 months:

8 AM - Lara/Trio bar
9 AM - WOD
10 AM - Tuna Packet/Chicken pouch, Lara/Trio bar OR XL Paleo Kit
2 PM - Tuna Packet/Chicken pouch
6 PM - Meat and vegetables chow hall dinner (ex. 2 lg. chicken breast+veg)
10 PM - XL Paleo Kit (minus the nuts)

Total: ~2,000 Calories 58% protein 21% carb 24% fat

This is the plan until I lean out to where I want, then I will un-restrict my eating and drop the extra cardio, most likely adding heavy lifting in it's place.

In the short term i'd like to drop the fat I have gained from SS and then start to replace with lean mass via CF and maybe some heavy work.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

Been doing some thinking about my goal to drop weight with a super low calorie diet and decided it's not the best idea. Crossfit advocates performance over all. This is exactly why I am not doing a bodybuilding style workout. So, I would rather just eat enough paleo food to support better performance, than eat barely any food just in the sake of dropping weight.

Form follows function.

Did "Diane" today w/ Pack scale (15-12-9 225# DL, pike pushups) - 5:12

I love deadlifting.

Last edited by Randy Hill : 09-25-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

I am kick starting all of this with Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book! I'll be trying the diet for 3 weeks first, as this is the amount of time prescribed for me before a one week break. I'll be eating about 900 calories per day of exclusively protein. The only carbs i'll be eating will be from vegetables, and the protein sources will be very lean leaving me without the fat macronutrient.

Can't wait to see how this goes.. It's going to take a lot of discipline!