CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-15-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I've been doing Crossfit since Feb. of 03. I haven't missed too many workouts and really enjoy the challenge. 2 weeks ago, I took 5 days off to go camping. No workouts; just cigars, food, and beer. Since I've come back, I've noticed a physical transformation. I've put on 7 pounds (and that's a huge jump for me). The weight is not fat; my pants fit the same, but my upper body is bigger. It seems as though the break really helped me out. I've kept my diet the same. I don't eat Paleo (I teach culinary arts and I like food way too much to simply consider it fuel), but I eat pretty clean. I've always had a hard time putting on muscle, so I'm thrilled with the progress. Perhaps I should keep a close eye on overtraining and take an extra day off every once in a while.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I've always found that my best performance, weight, muscular gains come after a week or 2 layoff. It's good to allow your body to completely rebuild occasionally. I try to take off of the weights for about a week every 3 months or so. I still keep up my cardio, but sometimes work dictates that I don't get to go to MA classes and such for a few days, so I get rest there too.

I always tried to convince a friend...a 6 day a week lifter....that taking time off will help him. He didn't believe that rest is when your body actually makes it's gains. After about a year of that (and him complaining of joint pain...overtraining), he finally had 2 weeks off for vacation and acted like he'd discovered something great when he came back and all of his lifts jumped. :rofl: