CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 AM   #1
Imraan Hoosain

Profile:
Managing a Law Enforcement Officer Box

Hi All,

There is a substantial amount of investment needed to open a decent box and I would like to know from those of you out there who currently run a box for Law Enforcement officers, how sustainable is it to run one of these boxes and how do you achieve a return on investment.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards
Imraan
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Managing a Law Enforcement Officer Box

Imraan,

Some thoughts on sustainability

I would argue you should view Law Enforcement as a single client, not as a bunch of separate people. If they like it, they come, if they don’t, or something changes, such as their local station starts offering CF in-house, or one of them gears out their own garage gym, or other similar risk, you could lose most of your clients overnight.

They move as a group to a far greater degree than individuals. They act like a family, Mum, Dad, and 2 kids are all members, if one leaves for a reason, they likely all leave for the same reason.

Take for example a police bar (pub), and the senior chef of the local station retires, and opens his own bar down the road from the station, and everyone starts going there, well there’s most of the bars clients gone.

Because of this there may be some wisdom in offering "Industrial Athletes" specific classes at times that suit them, and yes program them differently. And then offer classes to other sectors of the market at other times. Spread your risk. Perhaps market as a police gym, and leverage that success to attract other serious athletes. Kinda like Seal Fit CrossFit used to.

In regards to your question on Return on Investment, happy to give you some thoughts on this, in the way of typical key success and risk factors, and key performance indicators, etc

Let me know

Sean
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Imraan Hoosain

Profile:

Hi Sean

This is great thanks. I would like to here your thoughts on return on investment and the risks involved in managing a gym for Law Enforcement Officers.

My biggest point of interest is how sustainable this venture would be.

What if the gym was on the premises of the police station and made accessible to on and off duty officers.

Also would i be able to charge if the officer decides to bring the whole family, also would there be anything stopping me from taking on non law enforcement clients.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards
Imraan
Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I don't know about Cape Town but I live in a major US city (Phoenix, AZ). There are about 85 registered CrossFit affiliates in the metro. I would guess no more then 20% are producing a return on investment above the long term average of a balanced portfolio of US stocks and bonds. Call it 7-9% annually.

I don't know of any where the owners don't work in the business 20+ hours a week. If they are not paying themselves correctly then you would have to figure that in as well.

I sold my gym for many reasons but one of them was the opportunity cost of not working outside the fitness industry. My current job pays much better on less hours then running my affiliate.

On the other hand the coach I sold my gym to had a lower paying, less fulfilling job that he left to run the affiliate. He is making at least what he made at his old job and doing something he loves. A clear win for him.

It all depends on your situation. Here in Phoenix the gyms started by emergency service employee all diversify out to the general population. A group of police or fire fighters can give you a good start but you don't want to depend solely on them.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
Imraan Hoosain

Profile:

Hi Brendan

Thanks for this, gives me some food for thought.

I guess my main query is can i run a law enforcement box and also train the general public ?

Thanks again for the response, it is much appreciated.

Regards
Imraan
Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Hey Imraan,

PM inbound

Sean
Old 05-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Steve Loeding

Profile:

If you're talking a LEO box for only police officers, I don't see it working out. Most have gyms at the station or they get free memberships. Now, if you're talking about a PD affiliation, then that is different. There are no affiliation fees, you are most likely covered by the dept insurance. However you won't make money on it either, as it would be free for officers to use.