CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Brittany Miller

Profile:
New Coach Advice

Just recently the affiliate owner & only coach of my box asked me to coach. I'm getting Level 1 certified in June. Any advice for keeping everyone motivated during the workouts?

I loving pushing people beyond their limits, especially when their mind is telling them they can't when in fact they really can. I'm going to start working with her one-on-one really soon with respect to coaching and the how-to's.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Gary Fisher

Profile:
Re: New Coach Advice

Make sure to stay positive at all times, be chipper, all that good stuff, but in the end, make sure people are keeping proper form at all times at well. You can't help them out if they are hurt.

More specifics though, find a way to connect with each individual client, everybody "ticks" a different way, find something you can connect with and work with that. Some people like to have a fire lit under them, some you need to take a little more passive aggressive approach. Experiment a little, but in the end, stay positive, constantly work on your technique and you'll do fine.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Not specifically related to keeping people motivated, but misc quick coaching tips:

1) Praise publicly, correct privately.

2) Know that sometimes people WILL NOT LIKE YOU. Most people will be grateful to you for making them use the correct form. Some people will NOT. That's OK. Sometimes making them slow down, strip weight, or stop for 10 more seconds of rest is the right thing and they won't be happy. That's OK. It will happen if you are doing your job.

3) Remember that people come to the affiliate because, by and large, they WANT to be told what to do. Don't feel squeamish about giving out orders. It's what they want.

4) When in doubt, explain it again. I see this with new coaches, the "Does everyone remember what a thruster is?" and then looking around the room for head nods. Don't do that. Just explain it again. It will only take 15 seconds and someone who thinks they remember the movement will be reminded of something they forgot about.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Brittany Miller

Profile:

Thanks for the advice!!! What are some good things to say to keep them going? My coach does a great job. Just knowing that she sees me and says "Pick it up B" I almost get embarrassed so... I do exactly that and pick it up! I want to do that and be there like that for all the members!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

First things, you are not your coach, and your coach is not you. You are a different person with a different energy than your coach is...so the best thing you can do is be the best YOU you can be.
Starting now, pay attention to your fellow crossfitters, not their form, but what they RESPOND to, and try to figure out how you're going to be that person.
Me personally? Chipper cheerful people while I"m working **** me off, and are likely to get punted...someone else enjoys that. It's all about the individual.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Jennifer Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Miller View Post
Just recently the affiliate owner & only coach of my box asked me to coach. I'm getting Level 1 certified in June. Any advice for keeping everyone motivated during the workouts?

I loving pushing people beyond their limits, especially when their mind is telling them they can't when in fact they really can. I'm going to start working with her one-on-one really soon with respect to coaching and the how-to's.
Every individual is a little different; however I find that the compliment-critique-compliment method works wonders. As long as you are sincere your member will appreciate it. We work closely with our members, so get personal with them; know and use their name and look at them in the eye. They need to know that you care and that they aren't just a number. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Nicholas Scarabosio

Profile:

Some of the best advice I ever got was from Carl Paoli. We had just opened up and had some clients that were just dreadful at taking coaching. Not that they didn't pick it up eventually, but that eventually took a long time. When we were feeling down Carl dropped this knowledge:

'The glam is in the grind'

Since then it is a coaching motto. The beauty of what we do is the struggle. If everyone who walked through the door was an amazing athlete we would be obsolete.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Have someone film you training others and then watch it back...it's akin to watching yourself snatch for the first time. EYE-OPENING!