CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: From 0 athletes to 20 in 6 months...advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
I opened my doors in January of 2011 as a "High Intensity Training" facility. Having done CrossFit for 6 years. Got my level 1 shortly after opening then affiliated. The first couple of weeks I was working out by myself with no members. My sister-in-law finally said she'd try it. She was hooked and told her neighbors. I was then up to 3 members. They told their friends and I grew up to 8 members in the first couple of months. I was dealing with people who didn't work out...at all. And mostly had no athletic background. I hung around 20-25 members for the first 8 months. I've never drawn a penny from my box for personal income. I paid for everything I have with my own cash. No investors, no partners and no loans. I'm currently hovering around 50 members just over 1 year as an affiliate. I've always believed in growing slow and solid. My members are like family members. We even get onto each other's kids if need be. We are very close knit. My programming works and my members know it. I do not have a background in athletics (i.e. college football, etc.). My background is from 20 years in the Army, training and leading soldiers. Point is, have a background in something which required me to be a leader and trainer. Don't just jump on the bandwagon for the money and try to wing it. Too many folks have done that. MY OPINION, is the same as lifting at my box. Start light and do it right. Don't think you're gonna get a bunch of door kickers and life savers as members. I did and got my feelings hurt. My members are normal everyday folks who just want to be healthy.
Normal, everyday folks that want to be healthy is who you have to market to, or you pond is smaller than a tear drop. Do the math....if 5% of the US knows about CrossFit(That's a very generous #), and 1% is brave enough to get started and join an affiliate, .000001% have any intentions on becoming a games athlete. Good luck finding those folks.

Making normal everyday folks better at their normal everyday life....will pay your bills. Lets be honest, I want to help people, but if I can't pay bills, I won't be helping many for too long.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
Brendan Carroll

Profile:

Thank-you to all who have responded - I have taken down a lot of notes from all your experiences and advice.....it's much appreciated......
Graeme - ill get in contact with Drew and rack his brain if I can....I saw him on the weekend at a comp.....
Brendan - awesome advise and very practical for me.....
Thanks again to all - this is exactly was I was hoping for from this forum....I'll keep you all posted about my growth - but I think I will have to start by running a few sessions in the backyard with a few people and take it from there....start small think big...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Yep, sell to the masses and live with the classes.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

My story then,
Crossfitted for years as a way to make me better as a professional firefighter. Wanted to get certified in 05 and didn't. Finally joined a new warehouse gym in 09 and spent a year with them. Great folks. Opened my garage gym the next year. Went from a married couple to 40 in 6 months in my garage. Now we have over 250 members in 1600sf and i am one of the most expensive in Houston. And spawned 2 of our old coaches new gym. Don't expect to make money soon. It is work but I wouldn't trade it
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Michael B Watson

Profile:

Theo. WHy do you not expect to make money soon with 250 members? Very curious.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

I was referring to the new affiliate starting up. For me I took a salary of $3000 a month after 15 months in business. I still take a salary. I end up paying my trainers a lot because of the experience. You have to separate yourself from the business. Just because your gym makes $30000 a month does not mean you do. When you realize that printer ink, whiteboard markers, and toilet paper total $100 a week, you will finally understand business
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Tsekouras View Post
I was referring to the new affiliate starting up. For me I took a salary of $3000 a month after 15 months in business. I still take a salary. I end up paying my trainers a lot because of the experience. You have to separate yourself from the business. Just because your gym makes $30000 a month does not mean you do. When you realize that printer ink, whiteboard markers, and toilet paper total $100 a week, you will finally understand business
What kind of friggen markers are you BUYING?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Jackson Harmer

Profile:

Quote:
Theo, with all respect, could you elaborate on a couple items? With 250 members your monthly revenue stream is so ewhere between $25,000 and $35,000 right? Clearly there are a lot of expenses involved, and it sounds like you pay several trainers, but do you seriously incur monthly costs of $22-$32,000? Obviously a lot of that money could be going into business savings and not taken as salary. If you're willing to share, how much does your 250 member box take to operate each month? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
John Franklin

Profile:

Quote:
You must have some rich trainers.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Derek Hutchison

Profile:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it worked for us...

I started in a new city with 0 clients. I tricked a few people into letting me train them, they saw results, brought in friends, and it was just kind of exponential from their. We are at 220 clients now. We didn't advertise, just word of mouth.

Don't be the cheapest gym in town, be the best gym in town. Every time I raised my prices, two things happened; more people joined, and I strived to continue to offer a better service. Charge what you know you're worth, and if you are, people will see the value in it.