CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Ankit Patel

Profile:
Vegetarian doing CrossFit

All,
I'm a vegetarian that eats eggs and dairy and I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year now with lots of great results. I have a blog called The Vegetarian's Review YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.and it's really there because I get so many questions on how to be a vegetarian and still maintain health. I wanted to get opinions on what other people in the CrossFit community are doing with vegetarian diets. If you have any information please post.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian doing CrossFit

Welcome Ankit! There are a few vegetarians on here who should be able to help.
Please make sure in the future that you indicate if links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).
Good luck and keep at it!

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Ankit Patel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit Patel View Post
All,
I'm a vegetarian that eats eggs and dairy and I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year now with lots of great results. I have a blog called The Vegetarian's Review and it's really there because I get so many questions on how to be a vegetarian and still maintain health. I wanted to get opinions on what other people in the CrossFit community are doing with vegetarian diets. If you have any information please post.
p.s. the link to "The Vegetarian's Review" is WFS
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

Hey Ankit, welcome to the boards. Your blog's interesting, I'll bookmark it.

Pescatarian here. I consume fish a couple times a month. I get the fish from fish market that's cut from a whole fish in front of you. I do not consume dairy, eggs, soy or whey. I gave up the powdered protein (used to do Hemp) -> more room for whole/real food. I just recently am trying the no grains or legumes thing, and have been pretty successful just eating vegetables and lots of fruits. I ate 4 Georgia peaches yesterday in one sitting, and could've eaten more but would've had none for today. The bulk of my calories are from bananas usually. I do not do zone proportions. I do not experience tiredness during the day, just boundless energy. I do all organic - just to get the most 'good stuff' and least 'bad stuff' as possible.

My main reason for not consuming meat is not trusting the sources. 2nd is how cute those animals are. I read that you've been vegetarian since 12 yrs old, what is your reason for staying vagetarian?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Ankit Patel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Hey Ankit, welcome to the boards. Your blog's interesting, I'll bookmark it.

Pescatarian here. I consume fish a couple times a month. I get the fish from fish market that's cut from a whole fish in front of you. I do not consume dairy, eggs, soy or whey. I gave up the powdered protein (used to do Hemp) -> more room for whole/real food. I just recently am trying the no grains or legumes thing, and have been pretty successful just eating vegetables and lots of fruits. I ate 4 Georgia peaches yesterday in one sitting, and could've eaten more but would've had none for today. The bulk of my calories are from bananas usually. I do not do zone proportions. I do not experience tiredness during the day, just boundless energy. I do all organic - just to get the most 'good stuff' and least 'bad stuff' as possible.

My main reason for not consuming meat is not trusting the sources. 2nd is how cute those animals are. I read that you've been vegetarian since 12 yrs old, what is your reason for staying vagetarian?
John,
Thanks for the input. Do you mind if i put your post on my blog one day? I always like getting input form other people.

I became a vegetarian for religious reasons (I'm Hindu) and now it's really more out of habit. I've contemplated not being a vegetarian but for now I'm going to stick with it. How long have you been vegetarian?

Ankit
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #6
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Hi! I was a vegetarian for 10 years, this year I've moved to nearly-vegan. Although I haven't tried to adjust my diet since starting Crossfit, I know the vegan fitness community is a good place for info on how to tailor a vegan diet to an athlete's needs. http://www.veganfitness.net/ (WFS)

For myself, I eat this way because I like it and because it makes me feel good, not because I think it's the best way to eat or anything like that. My eating is very unstructured, but in general this is what my day might look like:

A smoothie for breakfast: pomegranate juice, soy milk, medjool dates, flax meal, powdered hemp meal (which IS a whole food, BTW), stevia, and frozen fruit

A salad or sandwich with chickpea salad for lunch, or leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Usually a banana in the afternoon, and something sweet like dark chocolate or a few cookies

Something out of a vegan cookbook for dinner, proteins include tempeh, tofu, TVP, legumes, and frozen meat substitutes. I like one-dish meals like curries with rice, or pasta with vegetable sauces and a veggie protein, or pot pie type things.

I'm in love with coconut milk ice cream. Ate it twice yesterday.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Walter Moyer

Profile:

Quote:
All,
I'm a vegetarian that eats eggs and dairy and I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year now with lots of great results. I have a blog called The Vegetarian's Review YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.and it's really there because I get so many questions on how to be a vegetarian and still maintain health. I wanted to get opinions on what other people in the CrossFit community are doing with vegetarian diets. If you have any information please post.
I just joined crossfit and have been vegetarian for about 6-8months.... I became vegetarian because of health stuff (taking part of my colon) and other medical stuff found that I needed a high protein and high fiber diet which leaves out meat. I do eat eggs, and fish and because of a Vit D issue I started to eat cheese and milk again. I eat minimal processed food... started exercising and a result joined crossfit.... it's been about 5 years to bring me here..had lots of stuff to fight (mostly me) and got beat up a bit to get here..
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You might want to check out Steve Mahler. He's one of Pavel's guys and is a vegan and in really good shape.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
John,
Thanks for the input. Do you mind if i put your post on my blog one day? I always like getting input form other people.

I became a vegetarian for religious reasons (I'm Hindu) and now it's really more out of habit. I've contemplated not being a vegetarian but for now I'm going to stick with it. How long have you been vegetarian?

Ankit
I do not mind you posting my comments on your blog...I just wish I could say something a little more prophetic.

I started experimenting on-n-off with vegetarianism about 10 years ago, when I started practicing yoga. I am no way 100% though. I'm kind of afraid to just say "no more meat FOREVER". By not putting myself under THAT pressure, I've had stretches up to a year with no meat. Then I'll indulge and realize it is just the taste buds that reap the rewards. Doesn't seem my body likes it that much. Fish seems a little different because it's light and doesn't mess with my digestion/regularity at all. It still bugs me the fish suffocated to death. The dairy, eggs, powders, and legumes were things I cut out as a 30-day experiment, and out of habit have continued. I am also overdue for a fast. I'll usually cut about 500 calories/day leading up to a single day of only water.

Ankit, do you fast? If so, how often? How long?

Rachel, I just got turned on to that coconut milk ice cream - sweetened with agave.....thats good stuff. You can also freeze over ripe bananas and run them thru a champion juicer, and eat the pulp = best banana ice cream.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

I freeze bananas. Usually just eat them with a spoon, though.

John, do you eat any concentrated proteins at all? Fats? What about B12 intake? I'm on the low side of normal with B12 and I eat a lot of supplemented foods, and put nutritional yeast on just about anything it'll taste good with.

Since switching to mostly-vegan, I've not felt the need to fast. I think fasting, for me, was a period of recuperation from overexposure to things I just don't digest well.