CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I was doing some reading today on decathlons and I found a shocking similarity between this type of training and crossfit, if i interpeted it correctly. Does anyone know of any decathletes that use crossfit as their training program? here's a pic of these guys, lean as hell!!
http://www.decathlonusa.org/images/photos/15.jpg
Old 02-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
David Cynamon

Profile:
speaking of decathletes, I noticed that their times and distances are always a bit slower or shorter than the athletes who participate in less events. I was wondering what people thought caused this-
1. they aren't capable of those speeds, etc., no matter how hard they train they can't do better than the world class athletes at the individual sports.
2. their training in so many different things takes Time that they could use for an individual sport.
3. their training in throwing limits their running/jumping and vice versa.

Hope this is still on topic-(I don't know of any decathletes or their training methods)
Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
All three to a degree. It's comparable to a gymnast that focuses on one event vs. doing all 6. Technique refinement will suffer slightly when doing many things. At the world class level this slight difference is winning/loosing.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Ryan Norman

Profile:
I am a former decathlete, kind of. I agree with Roger. All three are reasons to some degree. A lot of the events are very technique oriented. Also, some people are just better at sprints than long distance. So, they might be able to compete with the dedicated sprinters, but not the long distance runners. Thats the way I was with the hurdles and pole vault. I had always done those and sprinting, so I was strong in those events, but not so strong in the others. (I was TERRIBLE at high jump. I seemed to lose all coordination).

As for the workouts, we didnt do much that looked like Crossfit. We alternated between long and short distance days and worked on different events on different days. Its a rough schedule. I cant recall anything that really resembled crossfit, except for interval runs maybe.