CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Chris Rebmann

Profile:
Question Low energy and cold sweats after workout...

Today after my workout I felt like crap. My energy level was low and I felt sick. I developed cold sweats and was extremely thirsty. I exercised on an empty stomach and I did not do anything to over the top given that I am getting back into CrossFit. Has anyone ever experienced this before?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Alejandro Martinez

Profile:
Re: Low energy and cold sweats after workout...

Yes, Chris, I've felt that very often. I just experienced it on Tabata Something Else after restarting my Crossfit routines from a long layoff. It may have something to do with it, as my muscles aren't used to storing as much glycogen as before, but it's also just the body running out of fuel. My heart was pounding afterwards and I felt cold and weak, like I was going to puke or pass out. I just insist on training in the mornings before I've eaten because out of the 3-4 hours of free time in my day, it is best for my schedule. I may have to buy some food bars just to get something going through my system, but it'll be an experiment.

Prior to Crossfit, I was also starved because I hadn't eaten for over 12 hours at morning PT and sprints killed me. I went into racing heart and cold sweats and couldn't recover. My sergeant at the time made me go and get water and I passed out on the way there. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the body running out of fuel and it's worse when you're deconditioned because you can't sense when you're low. I haven't had an episode doing evening workouts with a preworkout snack. See if that works for you and try easing into Crossfit a little more. I've personally learned the price of cutting corners. Best of luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

Sounds familiar

I used to work out n the morning without a lot of food.
Not a good idea. Took me a couple of hours to get back on track.
And I could literaly tell when my body "ran out of energy". (kinda like an engine running out of fuel)

Now I tend to get up a bit earlier and try to eat more, especially more FAT. it kinda keeps my body warm. (maybe just placebo, but still). rest a few minutes and then get into my warm up routine.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Chris Rebmann

Profile:

Thanks guys. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has experienced this before. I guess I will have to get a small meal in before workout. Thanks for the posts. I appreciate it.