CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
I am trying to learn good form on the O-lifts (I have never really practiced them before). How would you guys recommend I work this in with the WOD; I don't have time to do both everyday. Should I just practice the O-lifts and hold off on the WOD until my form is good? Or should I do a WOD one day, and O-lift practice the next? Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
You can - and probably should - practice the O-lifts with PVC pipe, broomstick or empty barbell every day.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Travis,

My suggestions:
1. Incorporate the movements into your warm-up and cool-down. Use a broomstick or long pvc pipe to practice the movements. You can also use a medicine ball for the clean and jerk.

2. Don't hold off on the WOD to wait until your form is good. Just use lighter weight in the WOD to prevent injury.

3. Designate one or two days a week for O-lift practice in place of the WOD until you feel more comfortable with your O-lift technique.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I just got the World Class Coaching video tapes and they rock! Call 405 321 8060 if you want to get some.

I basically agree with Jon that you should practice them as much as possible with light/no weight until the form is good. Do them in your warmups or at least do front squats and OH squats. Just drop the weight when they come up in WODs. Also I know it is sacriledge to say this, but skip a WOD occassionaly and just do Oly Lifts. In fact I would do one day a week of snatch and snatch related exercises and one day a week of c&j and their related exercises. The technique is so important that I think you should divert more time into these lifts at least in the first few months so that you can have a better handle on them. Eventually, move back to a regulary WOD sched with light oly work in your warmups.

As these lifts require lots of neuromuscular coordination, do them early in your workout and not when you are tired. Don't save them for the end when your brain and grips are fried.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
I really like the idea of doing light O-lift practice for a warm-up. I'll also set aside two days a week for just O-lift practice. Thanks for the tips, guys!