CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
Rx vs scaled down version of WODS

I might have a silly question. I have been doing crossfit for almost 6 months and really happy with the gains.

Question I have is which is better to do Rx wod but if I do it I have longer rest since I need it to recover more vs a scaled down version when you do it quicker and rest less and intensity is high.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Rx vs scaled down version of WODS

Make your best judgement. Generally speaking - workouts shouldn't be longer than 30 or 30 mins. Unless it's a 'Hero' workout. If you are taking an hour to complete a workout, scale it.

This is my opinion.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

My opinion is that you should scale the wods in order to complete them in "average time" of people performing them as rxed. go through the comments section of the wods, see the times that are being posted up, and gauge from there. (I think beyondthewhiteboard actually has bell graphs of each wod, not sure though)

So for fran, scale to a level where you think you can complete it within 5-8min. When you get to the faster end of that range, bump the weight up, rinse, repeat.

if you scale too much and finish in 3 min or something, then you'll know that you need more weight next time. etc.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Sara Welch

Profile:

Scaling isnt a bad thing. If you can do the Rx weight, do it! There are some WODs that I can, and some I cant, so I scale it to what I can do. Some days are better than others... take that into account. Also, dont push so hard that you hurt yourself. Its really your judgement call. Dont go light just for time sake, do your best and you'll get the best benefits from what you do.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Scaling is definitley encouraged. The best way to scale is to go to the brandx website which you can find on the main site. If you are trying to scale weights for yourself you should think about the intent of the WOD. Take Fran. If you are going to go as Rx'd but on the set of 15 will have to put the bar down and wait 1 minute to rest to get 1 more rep then you should scale down. The intent of Fran is a very fast metcon. So same with pullups, if you think you can get the first set of pullups, 21, but after that you have to wait a minute and are doing singles, its better to do band or jumping to keep your power output higher. Glad to see your easing into it and making gains!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Michael Holmes

Profile:

This article here is a long one (and I think it appears in this month's Performance Menu, available from www.cathletics.com wfs)
http://crossfitottawa.com/lportal/web/guest/camps wfs

The main message of it is in line with what Renee said about finishing it in the average time - to get the intended response and therefore benefit from a given workout you need to be going fast. Greg Glassman talks somewhere about results being correlated with intensity (power) and unfortunately intensity correlates quite well with discomfort.

The article linked contains more detail, but take Diane for example - if your deadlift 1RM is 100kg and you can't do any HSPU then you need to find a way to reduce the weight so you can blaze through it in a similar time to the firebreathers, then next time you'll probably use more weight, until you can do it as RX'ed. Find the way for you to express the most power and you will see most results
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Holmes View Post
This article here is a long one (and I think it appears in this month's Performance Menu, available from www.cathletics.com wfs)
http://crossfitottawa.com/lportal/web/guest/camps wfs

The main message of it is in line with what Renee said about finishing it in the average time - to get the intended response and therefore benefit from a given workout you need to be going fast. Greg Glassman talks somewhere about results being correlated with intensity (power) and unfortunately intensity correlates quite well with discomfort.

The article linked contains more detail, but take Diane for example - if your deadlift 1RM is 100kg and you can't do any HSPU then you need to find a way to reduce the weight so you can blaze through it in a similar time to the firebreathers, then next time you'll probably use more weight, until you can do it as RX'ed. Find the way for you to express the most power and you will see most results
thanks for the article its long but a good read.