CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
BMH

Profile:  
Avocado uses

I am thinking of tossing some avocado in a soup that is going to involve shrimp tonight.

What kind of things do you get your guac on with? (looking for general uses of avocado)
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Avocado uses

Most unique use of avocado - Deviled eggs, in place of mayo (or anywhere else one might use mayo)

Favorite use of avocado - stuffed avocado: combine smoked salmon, red onion, tomato, mango, and small amount of mango juice until well mixed. fill middle of avocado halves. eat with spoon & enjoy. (Can also cube the avocado and mix it in for a workable cracker dip.)
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Add to a salad, side with eggs....
Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Spencer James

Profile:

Something that is surprisingly good that I've only had in Indonesia... avocado milkshakes. I know it sounds really weird and wrong, but it can be delicious. I think it is just avocado blended with milk, and then sometimes they'll swirl Hershey's syrup down through the glass. Really delicious...though I suspect no one will believe it until they try it.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Slice over just about any spicy soup: tortilla soup, chili, etc. Slice over salad. Slice and serve with sliced tomatos. Add to omelettes. Mash into a spread (guacamole or just mashed up avocado) and use in place of mayo. As a garnish with just about any Mexican-spiced food. (Would probably also work with many Southeast Asian dishes.)

Katherine
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
BMH

Profile:  

Scrambled or sunny side up eggs slathered in guac is like crack to me. My wife introduced me to guacamole burgers and such began my love of this wonderful green fruit. Katherine what is your experience with tossing avocado in soup as a main ingredient? Will it fall apart?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Scrambled or sunny side up eggs slathered in guac is like crack to me. My wife introduced me to guacamole burgers and such began my love of this wonderful green fruit. Katherine what is your experience with tossing avocado in soup as a main ingredient? Will it fall apart?
I just slice it over the top of the soup right before serving. Extended cooking would probably make it fall apart. Or you could blend it into a creamy soup if you wanted.

Katherine
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

Besides cutting it up and putting it on everything, it can take the place of mayo in a lot of different kinds of creamy'ish dipping sauces. Avocado and olive oil is your base, add flavors (mustards, seasonings, etc).

I make a pretty mean avacado Chicken salad sans mayo.

Bags of avocados from Costco.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Guacamole beef is pretty good. Get some beef, make tiny little balls and season it. Add a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles and sautee in pan. Drain pan with colinder when the meat is nearly cooked. Stir and mix in guacamole. Drain again, serve. I put it one pack of guacamole (prob 4-6 oz) per pound of beef and a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I season with McCormick's "fiery" spice or use cayenne pepper.

Also, I put avocados in my shakes sometimes. It's a great caloric and omega 3boost. Sometimes they turn out nasty, other times not. 3 cups of milk, avocado, splash of OJ, berries and peanut butter. Just make sure you have fresh avocados or you will have a very ripe tasting shake.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Mark Cheney

Profile:

Mix it into a smoothie. You can't taste it, but it gives it a smooth consistency.

Chavocado pudding. 1 avocado, 1/4 cup cocoa, a banana (optional), 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 t vanilla, and sweetener (honey, agave, OPTIONAL) to taste. Blend and chill.