CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Tish Traster

Profile:
OHS Help Please

Ok, as a trainer I know the answer to this question I think. Like I say to my clients when they ask, "How do I do more pull-ups?" My answer is simply, "Do more pull-ups!"

Anywho, my question is about my biggest goat, the OHS. Besides just doing more of them, are there any stretching or unweighted technique skills I can do to improve? I think ankle felxibility is one of my issues. I can get the weight over head, I just have problems getting my torso really erect and settling the weight on my heels.

I'll take a video and throw it up on the Digital Coacing thread. But, in the mean time, any tips?

in advance for your time. ~Tish
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: OHS Help Please

Work on your ankle flexibility. Get weightlifting shoes if you don't have them.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Shoulder dislocates were the key for me getting Over Head Squats. This is the stretch where you grab a dowel and a pretty wide grip and let it hang in front of your body. Then keeping your elbows locked pass it over your head and behind your body and then back again so it ends back in front. Then narrow the grip ever so slightly and repeat.

This is irreplaceable for shoulder flexibility, which is key for the OHS. Even if you think your shoulders are good I would recommend doing this a little just to be sure

-Robert
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Shoulder dislocates were the key for me getting Over Head Squats. This is the stretch where you grab a dowel and a pretty wide grip and let it hang in front of your body. Then keeping your elbows locked pass it over your head and behind your body and then back again so it ends back in front. Then narrow the grip ever so slightly and repeat.

This is irreplaceable for shoulder flexibility, which is key for the OHS. Even if you think your shoulders are good I would recommend doing this a little just to be sure

-Robert
I do this stretch every day. I just keep a broom stick in my bathroom and do several sets in the a.m. before I shower and p.m. before bed. I didn't realize my shoulder range of motion was so limited until I attempted an OHS. I love this lift. It has done wonders for my body.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Yeah, dislocates help hugely with the shoulder flexibility, but trunk erectness and that solid on-the-heels feeling come from bar squats.

See the CF journal for instructions, I think it might be in the Squat Clinic pdf.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Sorry, terminology issues... that should be 'bar HOLDS'
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Ankle flexibility for overhead squatting is WAY over-rated.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Ankle flexibility for overhead squatting is WAY over-rated.
Agreed. In many ways so is shoulder flexibility. What you probably lack if you don't have a great overhead squat has more to do with basic squat mechanics than either of those two factors. Do you have the strength to stabilize your midline under a heavy load? Can you maintain a rock solid upright torso with a heavy load overhead? However, minus a vid we're shooting in the dark.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
John C. Brown

Profile:

Tish,

I would tell you that really the best way to get a good overhead squat is to have a perfect air squat. Some of the squat therapy drills mentioned above are good, I will also put my nose next to the wall (almost touching) and squat. The key for getting strong here is to make sure that you are deliberately pulling yourself down into the bottom of the squat instead of falling down, and then at the bottom pay particular attention to the musculature of the low back. If it isn't screaming, then you aren't pulling that pelvis up enough. I am not saying to not overhead squat as well, but really attack your air squat, make it as pretty as possible, you will be surprised at how quick your overhead squat goes up...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Daniel Gam

Profile:

ankle flexibility (courtesy of Kelly Starrett):
http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...tight-bro.html

shoulder flexibility:
SOTTS PRESS!- try it (barbell, 1 dumbbell, 2 dumbbells) . i think turkish get-ups help too. i believe that strengthening a joint at the margins of its ROM is the best way to get more flexibile

in the OHS - ankle flexibility is inversely proportional to shoulder flexibility

the more ankle flexibility you have the more upright you can be - requiring less flexible shoulder - competitive oly lifters have extremely flexible ankles because they need to be as upright as possible when they catch the weight. the more shoulder flexibility you have you can tilt your torso further forward, and your knees can stay back.