CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Nearly BW OHS

Yesterday night was a good night for some overhead squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYHMueRr-9c (WFS)
170-185(F)-185
18 years old, about 6'2, 190lbs.

Not amazing numbers by any means, but a great improvement over a month ago, where I couldn't even hold 175# overhead stably. The hardest part about the squats yesterday was simply getting them overhead!

Thanks for reading,
Patrick D.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Nearly BW OHS

Butt coming up well before the bar is moving upwards (which when fixed will probably up your weight a ton), but still, grats man.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I always thought that Rip said on squats that it was "normal" for the hips to rise slightly in advance of the bar? Or maybe I'm taking the "drive up with your hips first" statement even more literally than it was intended?

Everything else aside, nice work Patrick. Loved the dramatic lighting, heh. Hope I can get some bumpers one of these days to see how I compare (I doubt I compare at all, heh). Good job
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

George - that's the hip drive. It's pretty normal to see that. Pretty much everyone does that quite pronounced with heavy enough weight.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

I must be a freak then, because I use my hips and core as one unit, rather than a huge pronounced hip movement upward. You'll notice he's rotating around the bar over his head for almost a full second before moving upward. That tells me that for 1 second, the bar has not moved yet the hips have. Is that wasted motion and energy?

Reference (wfs) of Nicole doing the OHS: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...leBWx15OHS.wmv

The bar moves when her hips do. Patricks hips move a good bit before the bar does on the third lift.

I stand by my statement that hips are moving too much without the bar moving.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

George - there's a difference between 15 bw ohs vs 1rm ohs.

1 rm ohs is similar to that of a heavy back squat. The limiting factor on 15 ohs however is shoulder endurance more than anything.

Check this video out - Mikhael Koklyaev Front squat 260 kg x3 and notice that the same thing is happening (2:30 seconds in)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=65jovqRDaDs (WFS)

It's not intentional rather that's just what you will see in just about every other heavy squat.

Here's Casey Burgener - very briefly you can see the same thing is happening. Velocity is quicker because he's an athlete of a whole different level but as far as hip rise - same thing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=peqV-aDq6SU (WFS)

If you'll watch Rip squat 315x10 - same thing happens.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I think you're half-right, George... or even 3/4.

Ideally, my understanding, and practice, is to move up as one unit. But like Leonid says, as you get into 1RM, this changes (sometimes). Nicole's doing BW, but it's obviously nothing close to a 1RM, thus the apparent ease.

I don't know if it's wasted energy, necessarily. As long as the form stays in tact...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I know it's not the perfect rep - the 1RM's almost never are - but I must say it felt pretty good to reach standing again with that bar.

Re: Elliot
These videos were taken around 9PM, so it really wasn't all that dark out. It was dark enough for me to use the patio lights, but not pitch black. My camera phone just sucks at detecting differences in lighting. The light in the sky isn't the moon either - it's a street light. However, like you said, it looks cool, so I'll roll with it; just didn't want to be deceiving anyone.

Re: George
Thanks for pointing that out to me. It's something I'll try to concentrate on in future reps. I know for a fact that it doesn't happen at lighter loads (from video taping my technique before), especially with the backsquat, where I have the bar to brace my back against.

Last edited by Patrick Donnelly; 07-10-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Please don't think I'm downplaying your achievement. Patrick. I'm not, its great!

Leonid -

I guess I just picked it up as why would someone bring their butt up and put themselves at a disadvantaged angle when the weight is not moving. When the butt comes up first (without the weight moving), the arms have to rotate backwards if the weight does not go up. To me thats putting the lever angle in a very disadvantaged position.

In the front squat, the bar is against the body and is not being held up by an active shoulder, that doesn't illustrate my point at all. Plus the bar was moving.

In the Burgener video the bar is moving up when his hips are moving up, albeit at slightly different rates. That doesn't illustrate my point at all.

In Pat's video his hips are moving, but the bar is not for a second. That means its a wasted motion.

I hope I illustrated in this post my point - the bar should be moving when the hips are. If the hips are moving and the bar isn't in space, its a waste of motion and could potentially put the lifter in a disadvantaged position. If both are moving, than the energy being transferred from body to bar movement is in sync (no not the boy band).
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Rayne Gray

Profile:

Elliot,

We have some bumpers at the station, you are welcome to come and train with us (no $ involved). See what kind of OHS you can put up and throw down.

Drop me a note and I'll send you directions and stuff.

Cheers
Rayne

Patrick, nice job bro!