CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Brady Herrin
Member Brady Herrin is offline
 
Brady Herrin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Royse City  TX
Posts: 1,310
The Chronicles of Brady

Hey Guys,

Been doing CrossFit for quite a while now. This past week was the first time since I started that I've slacked. Change in weather, diet, and stress at work has filled me with excuses.

No more! I'm ready to continue my success.

A little about me: I was a super-active child. Always tan and skinny from playing outside, despite my mom's southern-fried cooking. When I was around 6, I discovered a wonderful thing called a "Nintendo". From there, sports and outdoors made way for Mario and Luigi. I spent my adolescent years as a computer junkie and band nerd. I don't regret either, though, as I met my wife during marching band. Hah.

I never cared that I was overweight. Sure, it wasn't super comfortable at times, but for some reason it just didn't bother me. Enter: college. All of the sudden, there were new freedoms and possibilities. I entered college at 280lbs. After meeting up with some positive influences and forcing myself to take a running class, I graduated at around 205 (roughly similar to my GPA).

Since then, I've teetered, now realizing it was due to crappy dieting. I've Abs Dieted my way down to 185, and balooned back up to 220. When starting CrossFit, I was at that point. That was my "scary weight". I keep pictures of myself at heavy weights and at my fittest to remind me of my options.

Since starting CrossFit, I'm down to 200lbs, and it's a more muscular 200lbs than ever before. On Monday, I made the switch from "smart" carbs and eating to Paleo. As vein as it sounds, my 10 year HS reunion is next year. It would do my self esteem worlds of good to head in there looking as good as I feel (although my wife would slap me for that comment, she's good like that).

I have several other goals to meet along the way. Almost 4 years go, I started training for triathlons. I LOVE to compete. I took this past year off to train heavily on CrossFit and get into better general shape. I've done many sprints and ended my 2007 season with my first Olympic race. I'm ready to do my first Half Ironman in 2009, with a goal of a Full Ironman distance in 2010 (the year I turn 30).

My other goal is to try to get my family on track. We have a history of diabetes and obesity. My mom has just about every ailment in the book. Morbidly obese and needing to have her second knee replacement, I do a lot of my workouts for her. She's constantly trying, and I keep hoping that her attempts will ring out success. I just hope to be a good influence.

So, I dedicate this workout log to several people.

My wife, with whom I want to live a long and healthy life.
My friends (especially Nik) who keeps me under a watchful eye and gives me a lot of guff about eating like a caveman.
My Family, that supports me, even when I make gatherings difficult
because I'd rather have a fruit salad for my birthday dessert than german chocolate cake.
And lastly, Myself, 22 years of being uncomfortable in my own skin. I'm ready to be the person God made me.

Well, it's almost noon. Gotta change to work out.

3 2 1 GO!!!
__________________
My Log (WFS) M / 32 / 5'10 - 250 lbs
Punish the specialist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Brady Herrin
Member Brady Herrin is offline
 
Brady Herrin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Royse City  TX
Posts: 1,310
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

11/6/2008

Lynne: 185lbs/kipping

1. 8, 11
2. 10, 10
3. 9, 10
4. 8, 7
5. 4, 6

That last set was killer. When the bar came down to my chest on the first rep, I didn't think it was going back up. Major struggle. Thanks to Nik, as always, for the spotting, I mean yelling.

BTW, does anyone else feel the need to watch the Rocky IV training montage before the WOD?
__________________
My Log (WFS) M / 32 / 5'10 - 250 lbs
Punish the specialist.

Last edited by Brady Herrin : 11-06-2008 at 11:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,373
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Yea that 5 set was the one that worked!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Brady Herrin
Member Brady Herrin is offline
 
Brady Herrin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Royse City  TX
Posts: 1,310
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Day 5 on Paleo. Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. I'm an omlette freak. Shrimp and spinach omlette or crab and asparagus omlette, with some salsa and a side of berries. Loving it. Scales show I'm dropping a bit, but I don't want to jinx it. After a slump on Wednesday, I had a good day yesterday. I recovered well from the workout. Chest is pretty sore today. I'm glad it's all about the legs for today's WOD.

Can't wait 'til noon!
__________________
My Log (WFS) M / 32 / 5'10 - 250 lbs
Punish the specialist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Brady Herrin
Member Brady Herrin is offline
 
Brady Herrin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Royse City  TX
Posts: 1,310
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

On a side note, the Rocky III training montage is good, but not quite as tough. It was good for today though, with Rocky and Apollo running on the beach. Guess I need to find my brightly colored tube socks and tank top.
__________________
My Log (WFS) M / 32 / 5'10 - 250 lbs
Punish the specialist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Richard Macaulay
Member Richard Macaulay is offline
 
Richard Macaulay's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Berwick  Scotland
Posts: 2,627
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Herrin View Post
Day 5 on Paleo. Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. I'm an omlette freak. Shrimp and spinach omlette or crab and asparagus omlette, with some salsa and a side of berries. Loving it. Scales show I'm dropping a bit, but I don't want to jinx it. After a slump on Wednesday, I had a good day yesterday. I recovered well from the workout. Chest is pretty sore today. I'm glad it's all about the legs for today's WOD.

Can't wait 'til noon!
Awesome buddy, great story and great start. Very inspiring.Niks the right guy to work out with, though hes getting on a bit now so take it eay on him (wonder what stick il get for that lol-he knows i think hes aweosme).

Im struggling to get my family onto this, but keep trying. If you can even get one person to chalenge themselves or their idea about nutrition and/or fitness then id say you'v done an amazing job.

I was main page wod'ing it for a few months and loved it, recently did SS for a bit, so havnt been logging my work as much hence the reason my logg has turned into a chat site lol. But im back on metcons from monday (with some strength work thrown in aswell-kinda hybrid). So il start loggin it all again. Doing SS and not having that sense of competition against others made it that i couldnt be assed to logg lol.

Look foreword to competing against you my friend,a nd watching your continued success!!

Ricky
__________________
It isnt the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Brady Herrin
Member Brady Herrin is offline
 
Brady Herrin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Royse City  TX
Posts: 1,310
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Thanks for the good words, Ricky!

Nik and I have been working out together for years. I'm just glad we found CrossFit. Finally something with results!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Awesome buddy, great story and great start. Very inspiring.Niks the right guy to work out with, though hes getting on a bit now so take it eay on him (wonder what stick il get for that lol-he knows i think hes aweosme).

Im struggling to get my family onto this, but keep trying. If you can even get one person to chalenge themselves or their idea about nutrition and/or fitness then id say you'v done an amazing job.

I was main page wod'ing it for a few months and loved it, recently did SS for a bit, so havnt been logging my work as much hence the reason my logg has turned into a chat site lol. But im back on metcons from monday (with some strength work thrown in aswell-kinda hybrid). So il start loggin it all again. Doing SS and not having that sense of competition against others made it that i couldnt be assed to logg lol.

Look foreword to competing against you my friend,a nd watching your continued success!!

Ricky
__________________
My Log (WFS) M / 32 / 5'10 - 250 lbs
Punish the specialist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Richard Macaulay
Member Richard Macaulay is offline
 
Richard Macaulay's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Berwick  Scotland
Posts: 2,627
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Herrin View Post
Thanks for the good words, Ricky!

Nik and I have been working out together for years. I'm just glad we found CrossFit. Finally something with results!
Yeh must be good traiing with a good lad like nicholas?! Im hoping to come over sometime soon, and train with him (and you for that matetr lol). Few hard workouts, and a few nights on the town.

Ricky
__________________
It isnt the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,373
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Yeh must be good traiing with a good lad like nicholas?! Im hoping to come over sometime soon, and train with him (and you for that matetr lol). Few hard workouts, and a few nights on the town.

Ricky
EH? Speak up sonny!! Yea I hope you get over here to Texas, any word on the C.V.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Richard Macaulay
Member Richard Macaulay is offline
 
Richard Macaulay's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Berwick  Scotland
Posts: 2,627
Re: The Chronicles of Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
EH? Speak up sonny!! Yea I hope you get over here to Texas, any word on the C.V.
Mate when i told you that id literally just heard back from those places, and iv been re-writing my new CV today, have it done by tonight and straight off to your texan brothers and sisters. Il give you the gym numbers and you can make random calls biggin me up lol.

Mate i hope i get over to.

Ricky
__________________
It isnt the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Chronicles of Brooksie 1/2 Amber Brooks Workout Logs 13 12-14-2008 01:21 AM
The Chronicles of Lorne Lorne Goggin Workout Logs 25 12-03-2008 12:41 PM
The chronicles of Ralph Ralph Coates Workout Logs 68 01-14-2007 09:44 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.