CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Geoff Arias

Profile:
Life changing

I wanted to post this on here for anyone who is thinking about beginning CrossFit but is unsure and for various reasons putting it off. I had anterior double hip replacement surgery in April of 2010 due to osteonecrosis brought on from chemo treatments. My quality of life was suffering due to my lack of mobility. One leg was shorter than the other and this caused various back pains, inability to walk very far, and inability to spread my legs even should width apart making squatting difficult. Anyways, through an out of town friend I heard about CrossFit and it was appealing to me. Although I exercised and ran cross country and played basketball throughout high school, I never enjoyed lifting weights in a gym doing the same boring thing over and over. I thought about CrossFit but kept putting it off. Finally, I made a commitment to myself to join an affiliate after the surgery. The surgery came and went and was a success. After a speedy recovery, I began to call around and talk to owners of local CrossFit gyms. But...I put off joining for a couple of months. Various BS excuses like I wanna improve my cardio first or the people there will think Im a wimp or Im not on par with the average person. I ended up losing training time just sitting around telling myself lies. Finally, I made the call and set up my first one on one lesson to find out what this was all about. That was the best thing I ever did. This was August of 2010 just 4 months after my anterior double hip replacement surgery (also one of the best things I have ever done). Since then, I have just kept improving. I have gone from barely being able to squat to fully squatting. I have gone from having very little leg strength and unable to get off the ground without using my hands to deadlifting 300lbs. All this has enabled me to enjoy life like a 22 year old should. I am now able to walk without getting tired. Take steps effortlessly and squat and get something from the kitchen cabinets with no problem. So if anyone out there is reading this and debating about whether to or when to begin CrossFit, I have 3 words for you. JUST DO IT. The WODs will be tailored to your ability. As the board at CrossFit Carnage reads, "Leave your ego at home". The people there are only there to work WITH you and make you better.