CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Chris Witkowski

Profile:
Water Consumption before workout

I tried to search this subject, but it's not an easy one to search. At least for me. Today I went to do The WOD of Hang Power Snatch and 400 meter run for time. I drank quite a bit of water during my CFWU, prob about 4 glasses, and then when I got to round 2 I started to cramp and bloat up bad in the abdominal area. I had to stop. This is the second time it has happened with a running portion attached to the WOD . Can anyone remember if this was discussed in a CF Journel or can anyone help me with how much water I should be drinking before a workout? I primarily do WOD around 9-10:00 AM and I eat breakfast at 8:00 AM. Thanks.

32/5'9/160
Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Water Consumption before workout

Kind of a common sense answer for you, Chris.

I tend to lose myself during the running WODs and load up on water before (and during) the WOD, only to cramp up during the runs and really eat away at my time.

Obvious solution is to drink your water earlier -- say, an hour or two before your WOD. The point is to be hydrated enough during your WOD. So in that hour or so of time, that water will still be in your body, but likely out of your stomach, and out of your way, while still in your system providing you with hydration and cooling.

So the template I'm trying to follow now is to load up on water an hour before the WOD, and then during the WOD, try to limit my water consumption to either a few small sips, or just a quick swish of the mouth to get rid of the dry-mouth. In my experience it's the dry-mouth feeling that causes me to crave so much water -- more so than actually needing the water. Breathing through the nose more might also help remedy this.

But above all, don't NOT consume water just because you're cramping up. Just consume it earlier.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Guys...

Hydration isn't something you just "load up" on. You have to be consistent with it throughout the day, and consistent over time. You can see how pounding it out minutes before a WOD can not be beneficial, and the same goes for trying to gulp it an hour prior. You should be getting an adequate amount throughout the day, not only when you exercise.

Consistency is key.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:

I drink lots of water during the day, after I workout. I only have half a cup of coffee before the WOD's, rarely drink during the WOD. Then drink lots after I'm done. You not going to hydrate yourself in the middle of a workout. If your mouth and throat gets really dry, just take a couple sips.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lascek View Post
Guys...

Hydration isn't something you just "load up" on. You have to be consistent with it throughout the day, and consistent over time. You can see how pounding it out minutes before a WOD can not be beneficial, and the same goes for trying to gulp it an hour prior. You should be getting an adequate amount throughout the day, not only when you exercise.

Consistency is key.
I don't think anyone ever implied to only drink an hour before a workout. The question being asked was how to avoid the cramping due to water consumption during the WOD. Answer: hydrate yourself properly before the WOD, so as to avoid having to do so during it.

There's nothing wrong with drinking a lot before a workout in order to minimize the amount consumed during it.