CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Crossover Symmetry

I was thinking of buying a set of these bands to aid in my shoulder rehab (minor labrum tear) I probably wouldn't spend $180 but I see you can buy the bands individually for $40

Anyone know if this is an effective PT exercise or is it a little more intensive than that?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Wanted to weigh in on this. We just got two Crossover Symmetry sets in our gym, and we're planning to get more. Yes, you could theoretically do all of the movements and protocols with cheaper bands and/or light plates or dumbbells. The problem with that, from a gym programming perspective, is that you then need to get the equipment out and put it away each time it's used, which is time consuming and can lead to equipment being misplaced. You will also likely need to walk the clients through the protocols each time you do them, which is also very time consuming. With the Crossover Symmetry sets, the bands live right there at the stations, so there's no mess. The sets also come with plaques which detail the movements and protocols, so once you've walked your clients through the protocols a couple times, you can then just send them to the stations to do whichever protocol is called for that day, and they can just follow along with the instructions on the plaques. For an individual in the home, this is probably a little overkill. You can just find some good protocols online, and perform them in your garage or basement with normal bands, plates, dumbbells, or what have you. For a gym, it's a really great piece of equipment, and makes it very easy to incorporate some quality scap activation and strengthening into your program. In the few weeks that we've been using them, I've already noticed an improvement in my overhead position and a reduction in the amount of shoulder pain that I feel during training. The clients in our specialty programs that are using them (we're not implementing them in regular classes until we get more) have had nothing but positive responses.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
Dakota Base

Profile:

"High Intensity Scapular Strengthening"

Really? No, really? C'mon guys... Try harder than that. Pretty sure rubber bands aren't going to strengthen bone. This is the kind of marketing crap that gives all workout products a bad name. "SITS", rear delt, and RC strengthening, sure, but bands ain't beefing up a bone...

Rant over...

To be fair fellas, TRX kits sell, and a guy can make the same thing with a $5 rachet strap and a $3 electrical conduit nipple. I used to buy bulk medical tubing instead of workout bands (cheaper that way, or used to be at least).

To me, it looks like a more useful/productive adaptation of a Tower 200, so sure, if someone wants to pay $200 for it, fly that particular kite my friend...

I'd close with this: These "scap" workouts are often overlooked (I call them SITS workouts), but they play a HUGE role in functional strength. If paying $200 to hang these on your squat rack is what it takes to justify doing, or remind athletes TO DO their SITS workouts, then good.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
"High Intensity Scapular Strengthening"

Really? No, really? C'mon guys... Try harder than that. Pretty sure rubber bands aren't going to strengthen bone. This is the kind of marketing crap that gives all workout products a bad name. "SITS", rear delt, and RC strengthening, sure, but bands ain't beefing up a bone...

Rant over...

To be fair fellas, TRX kits sell, and a guy can make the same thing with a $5 rachet strap and a $3 electrical conduit nipple. I used to buy bulk medical tubing instead of workout bands (cheaper that way, or used to be at least).

To me, it looks like a more useful/productive adaptation of a Tower 200, so sure, if someone wants to pay $200 for it, fly that particular kite my friend...

I'd close with this: These "scap" workouts are often overlooked (I call them SITS workouts), but they play a HUGE role in functional strength. If paying $200 to hang these on your squat rack is what it takes to justify doing, or remind athletes TO DO their SITS workouts, then good.
Dakota, I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think or imply that this is strengthening the actual scapula itself. When we say scapula, we're talking about the complex system of muscles in the shoulder and upper back that attach to it. If I talked about strengthening someone's hips, would you think I was talking about their actual hip bone? Of course not, you would know that I was referring to the glutes, hamstrings, etc.

Like I said in my previous post, this system is about ease and convenience. These movements are extremely important to shoulder stability and injury prevention, but they are often overlooked for the reasons I listed before. This system provides a very easy and convenient way to incorporate these movements and protocols into large group programs.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I'm very interested in the system, but as a college student its tough justifying the price on a near $300 system that I haven't tried. It would be great to see the exercise sheet to try with monster mini bands before I decide to buy the full thing.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:

I have it and I love it. I use it everyday (I hope that is not overkill). I have been using it for 2 weeks now I can honestly say my overhead position for my snatch is stronger and I feel more secure under the bar and same goes for my split jerks.

Ya I'm sure you can do all this for cheaper but I do like having the convenience of it and I like the range these bands can stretch (pull) to. I like that is always just set up and ready for me to use.

Anyways to each their own. I'm a fan.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Doesn't look like a bad product, but isn't it an expensive way to do band pullaparts and some external rotation?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Mitchell View Post
I'm very interested in the system, but as a college student its tough justifying the price on a near $300 system that I haven't tried. It would be great to see the exercise sheet to try with monster mini bands before I decide to buy the full thing.
I am with Mitchell (although no longer in college)... would love to know more about the protocols....
Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Laurice Heming

Profile:

I'm highly interested. Curious to know if they would offer a group rated aka group buy for them....may be hard to do on this forum. I'm military, so I'll take any quality shoulder, etc. training I can get my hands on.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
Kyle Bulava

Profile:

Standard workout... http://vimeo.com/80170265 (WFS)

Last edited by Kyle Bulava : 01-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.